Short and overweight!

Options
Hi, I've been a member here on my mobile, tracking my food for a little while (on and off) but I just discovered the online community through my computer and thought I would introduce myself.

I'm only 5ft tall (4'11.5'' if I'm honest!) and as a pear shape, any extra weight shows on me reeeeeeallly fast so I want to drop the poundage to get to 120 and maybe drop below that if I can. I have been down to 130 since marriage/kids but it was in 2007 and I wasn't healthy while doing it. I'd like to try to do this thing and then work on maintaining so I don't gain back and end up 164 again which is where I was when I got pregnant with my 15month old son. I'd appreciate any friends/support that are in a similar situation to me!

I love to dance (ballroom and latin) but my main exercise comes from my treadmill and taking my daughter on her bike for walks/runs.

It's kind of nerve-wracking to put this out there!

Replies

• NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    welcome! You'll find lots of support and encouragement on here. And once in a while a jerk/know it all/grouch. ignore them. The rest make it worth it.

:smile:
  • MrsSmith1112
    MrsSmith1112 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    welcome! You'll find lots of support and encouragement on here. And once in a while a jerk/know it all/grouch. ignore them. The rest make it worth it.

:smile:

Well said! Glad you're here!!!
  • tricia3368
    Options
    welcome!!! have you ever tried Zumba? So much fun and a really good workout! There is even a video game for it on wii and ps3 :)
    maybe an xmas present for YOU :)
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I'm only 5' 2" so I know how extra weight can show quickly... Good luck with your lifestyle change & hopefully you will find it inspiring also - tons of success stories on here! Have fun :smile:
  • Newnanax3
    Newnanax3 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome~ there is sooo much wonderful people out here and information too. I'm short too and your right about weight showing up immediately on us. I'm 4 '9" (use to be your size).. but shrinking. LOL
  • slimthingspecial
    Options
    Heya Stacey,

I'm fivefootbutactuallyfourfootelevenandahalf too... (and that's generally how I say it if anyone asks!) Also pear although I'd say I'm naturally an hourglass shape, I can relate to the extra weight issue!

I haven't done the whole friend thing yet either so I'd be happy to support you if you'd like :)

Ellen x
  • bnjajoyce
    Options
    Welcome! I hope this works for you. I've friended a few on here it it really helps to have their encouragement and know someone is looking over my shoulder. It keeps me logging on daily to faithfully enter my food and exercise.
  • geeksrule
    geeksrule Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! There is a group on here for the vertically challenged - and there are lots like yourself and me (even though I'm 5'3"). I'll send a friend request your way! Best of luck!
  • chelle4282
    chelle4282 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So glad you found the site! People are so supportive here and the community section really keeps me motivated. I don't post much, but definitely read it daily.

I'm also just under 5'0 and trying to get to the 120 range. I know how much the extra weight shows for those of us who are smaller.... WELCOME!!!
  • dia705
    dia705 Posts: 43
    Options
    Glad you found the site. I'm 5ft myself and I have about 105 pounds to go to get to where I want. I know how weight can show easily on people our height. I have five kids and know that struggle too. Good luck on your journey!
  • Munkyzilla
    Options
    I'm new and short, too, and boy do I relate! Good luck to you. It's exciting to see all those who have lost. :-) The nutrition tracking application here is really fabulous.
  • sarak1785
    Options
    I'm also short I'm 5'3 and it seems the second I put on weight you can see it, I hate it! Working on getting to pre-baby weight of 115, right now Im at 132.
  • Hopingforchange
    Options
    Put me in the same category!!! I am shorter than ya'll at 4'10!!! I got down to 117 at WW 6 years ago but it was hard to stay that low. I sort of settled at 120. I am very muscular by nature. In the last 6 years I have gained about 15 pounds. I feel horrible. I walk or run 5 days per week and do zumba from time to time.
    Since turning 40 my metabolism has taken a drastic nose dive. I am hoping that by tracking I will really be in for a reality check to what I think is the right amount of calories and what is real! I ran 5 days last week and lost NOTHING. Must have been too many calories somewhere!
    Any encouragement would be great.
  • alininja1991
    alininja1991 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm short and over weight too, I can relate! Trying to lose 28lbs for june 6th 2012! Thats 29weeks, 1lb a week I hope XD haha
  • NickyCat101
    Options
    Totally feel you on being short and overweight! Sometimes buying clothes can be difficult (i'm short legged). You'll find lots of support here :)
  • Mellyd2
    Options
    I can relate! I'm 5'2 (Kelly Ripa is taller than me and you!) I'm extremely overweight, I used to be a size 4 and 115lbs...now I'm a 18 and 201.....I'm so bottom heavy. I even had to cut all my hair off because the longer your hair is, the heavier you look. :(

So I'm going to get Kelly Ripa small....and have long hair again!

Welcome and maybe we should form a group with us new people...
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It's wonderful to meet everyone! I feel like I just joined a club - "Hi, my name's stacey and i'm overweight!" weird... lol

I'd love to know about the specific vertically challenged group on here - I think the height /body shape makes a huge difference on how fast/ from where you lose weight.

I have done Zumba before but right now our funds are limited and time is short. There is a zumba lesson right before my dance lesson on Sunday nights and I'd like to get to that (and just change shirts after for my lesson!) but right now, my normal dance lesson is frequently running over, like tonight, I left home at 6.30 and didn't get back til 9.10 because my dance teacher is awesome and we have so much fun that we always go late. If I was leaving home at 5.30 and getting home at 9 I think my husband would flip out! I do enjoy it though and my mother in law has the dvds so maybe she can copy them for me.... *mental note to ask* so I can do it at home...

Anyway, fabulous to meet you all!
  • carolkat9089
    Options
    I feel your pain, but if you stick to it you will see results, wish you good luck!!! can't wait to see your results
  • Jerseygirl904
    Options
    I'm another shorty --- 5'1"! I'm lucky that my weight sort of distributes itself easily...but a few extra pounds on my small frame makes a big difference. I started Insanity three weeks ago...changed my eating habits...and so far, I'm doing well.

I've had the MFP app for a bit, but just ventured in here today!! Pretty cool people so far!!
  • Munkyzilla
    Options
    I'm jealous of tall women who can spread it around. I know they have their challenges, too, but good grief it does seem on short women even 3 oz of extra fat means our pants don't fit!