Enlightening first day!!!

Options
I have been complaining about not losing any weight despite working out regularly and eating what I thought was the right amount of calories. I tracked today for the first time here and I went 6 calories over budget, so no dessert for me.
I am still confused as to why I put in that I want to lose 1 or 2 pounds per week and it automatically defaults to .5 per week?
I am only 4'10 but need to lose 15-20 pounds. I am 42, married with one grown son and 2 younger ones (ages 5 and 8). I work full time and run or walk on my lunch breaks. I am too tired by the time I get home to do much of anything else.
This is my last attempt to try to drop the pounds. I am beyond frustrated!! Turning 40 has not been kind!

Replies

• EvaJanes
    EvaJanes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What are your starting and goal weights?
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I would concern too much what it defaults too.
    The main thing for me was to put that I sit at work, most my day, to track my cals and then my workouts.
  • misslovely51
    Options
    This is my first day also and I am so excited! I was a member of Weight Watchers but this site is just as good and it has everything I need and the bonus is that it's free! Yay! I hope everyone reaches their goal! Don't give up ddunbar Ihave faith in you!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just not possible to lose that much weight in a safe/healthy manner. I'm 4 inches taller than you are, and MFP has me losing 0.6 pounds a week at 1200 calories a day. When you're short you can't really expect to lose a lot of pounds at once without starving yourself.
  • runiechica
    runiechica Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It might have bumped you up because the lowest it will set daily calories for is 1200.

11575603.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    The forties are hard years for a woman. I'm so glad they're behind me. First thing to do is make a plan. Set goals that are within your reach. You're short. So am I. It's hard for us because we can't afford one drop of extra weight. Not much we can do about that. Until my forties I had a cute little butt and nice figure and all that. But my forties were unkind too. And wait until menopause. You ain't seen nothin' yet!

Anyway, make a plan, set goals and get going. It's doable and well worth it. Put your health first because without that, you and your family will suffer. As for exercise, find what you enjoy or you won't stick with it. And hang out on this forum as if it was AA and you were an alcoholic. The support will keep you honest.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It might have bumped you up because the lowest it will set daily calories for is 1200.

11575603.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Yes, I think this is correct - regardless of what you want to lose, MFP defaults to a minimum of 1200 cals per day (for women).
    As you don't have a lot to lose 0.5 week is probably more realistic anyway. Good luck!,
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Actually, you're right. a half a pound a week is very safe and sensible and a person tends to keep it off with that sort of reasonable loss. Moreover, you can eat more and not worry about that so much. I think one pound a week is also a good goal. But beyond that is a bit too aggressive unless a doctor tells you differently.

This calculator is very realistic and lets you set your own goal and not use the default if you choose not to. http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/calories-to-lose-weight
  • capergal
    capergal Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I recently turned 40 and I am finding it harder and harder to lose weight. I would be very happy with a half a pound a week. I just joined MFP yesterday for the first time.....here's hoping it works for all of us!