"normal weight girls" trying to lose weight

Options
2»

Replies

• brandi_jo81
    Options
    You are already on the thin side. At your height the least you should ever weigh is 111 lbs. You are making yourself unhealthy and risking heart problems.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out there, some people are saying that you might end up being underweight. It does depend on your bone structure. I've seen very small boned tall and short women that would look perhaps overweight even in the normal range for their BMIs. Same with larger boned women (and men) would look gaunt at the "normal" BMI. Food for thought.
  • Jadzia_Dax
    Options
    I'm about 5'5 and I weight 125. I'd like to get to 110-115! I just started my fitness plan yesterday, but I'm ready to go!
  • Dr_Farru
    Dr_Farru Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out there, some people are saying that you might end up being underweight. It does depend on your bone structure. I've seen very small boned tall and short women that would look perhaps overweight even in the normal range for their BMIs. Same with larger boned women (and men) would look gaunt at the "normal" BMI. Food for thought.

The bone structure is the reason why there is a range! 18.5 to 25 BMI ..
    For 5'8" girls that comes to 122lb for smallest boned girls and 164.4lbs for the biggest boned.
  • badtheory
    badtheory Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i'm 5"2, 99-100 lb. technically a little underweight. i didn't exactly intend to become underweight, but i tend to be obsessive about food choices, especially when i'm stressed out :(
  • Alison__
    Alison__ Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I'm going for 110 lbs, but although I've lost 9 lbs, I can't tell any difference :/
  • lau_ib
    Options
    I´m 5.12 and 118-120 lbs:flowerforyou: .. i´d like to loose 10 pounds!! i thin loosing this weight i can feel better with my self!!
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as ya'll!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If you're already in the healthy weight range for your height, and especially if you're already at the lower end of the range, I think a good question to consider is whether you are really stuck on getting to a smaller number on the scale (whether it's still in the healthy range or not) or if what you really want is to look thinner and leaner and think that seeing that lower number is the only way to do it. The thing is, you can look thinner/tighter/leaner without even losing weight - in some cases you can even gain weight and yet look tighter and wear smaller clothing, but working to build muscle which makes what you've got look better than it did before. ;-). Someone posted a pretty cool comparison of a woman at 120-something and not particularly fit and then the same woman at 130-something with muscle giving everything shape - she was noticeably smaller and had such great definition at the physically fit 130-something version. And her tummy was nice and flat and toned at the 130-something whereas the 120-something photo had a bit of a gut, b/c she didn't have the muscle tone holding it all together.

Just something to consider. If your goal is to look better and get into smaller clothing, seeing the number shrink on the scale may not necessarily be the best way to get where you actually want to be. (if you're already at a low/healthy weight). I am at the high end of my healthy range and I definitely still want to lose some weight (want to get in the middle of my range) but I want to have muscle at the end of this journey, too, so I might not end up in the low end.
  • towsongrad
    Options
    im about 5'4 and weigh 130..trying to loose about 5 pounds by toning up, etc..not really obsessed over losing alot of weight..i have curves..whats considered "normal" for my stats? just curious!
  • towsongrad
    Options
    i meant to say 5-10 pounds is what im trying to loose..anything over that and I feel like I'll be underweight..may have curves but im still a little teeny
  • jasmineheaven
    Options
    I'm 5'3 :D I just want to read all the feedback you get though!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It isn't good for you to aim to be underweight. Your body doesn't want to be there. I have a very small build and with a BMI of 21 ish look quite as thin as I would want to. I have bones sticking out. And that is with a small frame. I am about 128-125 and 5'5". BF about 21%

Each to their own, but If you are already at the bottom end of healthy, it isn't sensible to try to lose more. If you aren't happy with how you look, it's almost certainly not your weight that is the issue.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    im about 5'4 and weigh 130..trying to loose about 5 pounds by toning up, etc..not really obsessed over losing alot of weight..i have curves..whats considered "normal" for my stats? just curious!

I'm also 5'4" and the range for our weight is something like 107-145 if I remember correctly. I started out at 165, now down to 142 and shooting for 125-130 (about where I was when I got married 5 years ago, although I'd like to have more muscle definition than I did back then).
  • jjhanlon
    jjhanlon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'3, 123 pounds and trying to get to 110! It kind of sucks. do you think it is tough for people our height and weight to lose?

I'm the same height, have the same goal...it seems impossible! I'm at 119 right now... I think because we don't have much to lose it is tough!
  • Doc1969
    Doc1969 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", had been 110 pounds but gained about 20 in the past 30 months or so. Now I want to get back there. At 130 I'm still a healthy weight, but not at all where I am comfortable. When I was 110 I had toyed with going down to 105, but wouldn't want to get any smaller than that. At this point I think I'd be happy with 115 and no gaining trend. Back to 110 would be fabulous.
  • towsongrad
    Options
    thanks hun! i was thinking around that ballpark but wasn't sure..thanks for that! im a professional print model so its imperative that i keep up with the stats..my manager is getting on me and driving me nuts lol