Has anyone heard of increased emotional reactivity...

Options
associated with weight loss?

I have searched on line but perhaps am not putting in the right key words.
I have seen that I am over the top emotionally reactive to situations that I used to have only a mild, normal if you will, reaction to.
It seems to have appeared in conjunction with my recent loss of over 70 lbs.

I have a couple of theories that may be directly related to ignorance or may be valid.

1. Many hormones are stored in fat and with my recent fat loss more hormone has been released into my body. (I don't know if this is possible.)
2. I may be approaching early menopause and it is entirely coincidental that my emotional swings are timed with my weight loss.

I am really pretty happy for the most part. I have rarely had depression due to obesity and would not describe myself as depressed now, just more reactive. ie: My father called yesterday because he knew I needed an expensive part to repair my car and was putting it off in order to have enough money for the holidays. He offered to buy it for me as an early Christmas present. I was so touched by this that I started to cry and couldn't stop. I thanked him and said I was so happy I was crying and then said I would call him back. My confused husband then watched me walk into the bathroom and cry for about 20 minutes. This is not like me. I am usually pretty even keeled. I find my current situation disturbing and humorous at the same time.

Any thoughts would be welcome.
Thanks

Replies

• Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,199 Member
    Options
    Yes. I can't stuff it down with comfort food anymore. It takes awhile to relearn how to cope in a more positive way, I think. Except you are not "comfort feeding" just having strong emotional reactions to happy events. I just have less patience overall, but that's partly hormonal for me. My husband is a saint.
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You are on 800 calories a day. That would pi$$ anyone off. Up your cals.
  • magdamccraven
    magdamccraven Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Addendum:
    Cals are set by my doc.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    While I would not advise you to go against your doctor, you should bring this up with him or her. I, too, think that you could be overwhelmed from such a strict diet. Then again, you could be overwhelmed by relief from weight loss, or the changes you mentioned.
    Congratulations on your loss of 70 pounds!
  • Corby86
    Corby86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Awesome weight loss!!

I agree that the calorie deficit could have something to do with it, it is difficult to get proper nutrition with normal calories these days, and with a deficit of 1000 calories / day, I find that I have to be super good to get all my nutrients and I still need to supplement some things.

I think it's probably a combination of the really strict diet your own, the weight loss and nutritional issues.

I have also found that I'm much more emotional lately, we have to remember that we are putting our bodies through MASSIVE change. Be kind to yourself ;)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Ok, I would definitely discuss this with your doctor, you could be deficient in all kinds of essential nutrients on such a low calorie intake, so changes in mood/emotional reactions could be related to your general state of health or just to the massive changes in your body.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It may be time to re-adjust your caloric intake. How long has it been since you saw your doctor? I know sometimes doctors will prescribe a very low calorie diet for people with a LOT of weight to lose, but you can't sustain that for very long; it's meant to be short-term. You need to have a frank discussion with your doctor about what you're experiencing.
  • magdamccraven
    magdamccraven Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who sent advice and concern. I am scheduled for a doc appt. next week and will bring this up.
    Great work to all of you and it is comforting to have you all just a click away.
    Mag