Burning Calories

Options
I just thought I would post this and get everyone's opinion in it. When you do your workouts and you burn off your calories, do you eat back your calories or not? I personally do not eat back my calories. I don't know if that is healthy or not, so if anyone has any advice on it please feel free to comment on it! Thanks Everyone!

Replies

• runiechica
    runiechica Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day...and if I'm hungry. I try not to stress it either way. I try to listen to my body as to what it needs.
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    No, I don't eat them back I know a lot of people do. So far, I am doing ok. So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! To me it doesn't make sense although I know others will disagree. :glasses:
  • letonia_
    letonia_ Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    After execise please make sure to not eat right away, because it is probable you'll eat more than you need

Regain your energy with water and some fruit (banana, apple), it will bring your body back to normality.

You can have a nice light dinner at night :)
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    The Buddha said when you're hungry, eat. Sleep when you're tired. (Just thought I'd throw that in.) I believe that no matter where you are in your weight loss, if you are hungry, you should eat something healthy just to the point of comfort. On the other hand, if you're not hungry, simply don't eat. Your body knows what it needs. I generally do not eat back my burned calories. On the other hand, once or twice I've gone over because I was hungry. I still lost three pounds during that week. Bottom line: Do what you're comfortable doing but I suggest you don't eat unless you're hungry. On the other hand, don't eat less than is healthy.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I don't eat my exercises calories back either, some days I eat more than others. If I'm hungry I will eat, if not I don't worry about it.
  • RozannC
    Options
    I thought that was the point of the whole thing....burn more calories than you eat. I'm still trying to lose weight but maybe when I reach my goal it will be different.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I personally don't but I already told you that. I am glad to see we are not the only ones on here that do not eat back what they burn. Though I do hav a banana after I workout, right after because it gives my body the power to remain functioning!
  • destinysmommy2011
    Options
    I dont eat my remaining calories either...My whole goal is to stay under my calorie goal and burn of what I have already ate. I like seeigleft over calories, it just shows me that I am getting the snacking issue under control as well as my whole change of the way I eat.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Those who don't eat their exercise calories really need to read this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390145-should-i-eat-my-exercise-calories
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up to calculate your daily calories without taking exercise into account, and assumes that when you exercise you log the workout and eat these calories.

If you don't eat these calories you are making your daily calorie deficit larger (sometimes MUCH larger). For some people this isn't going to be a problem, for others it may not be the best thing for long term health

Personally, I have always eaten most of my calories back, but it's a personal choice, it makes no difference to me if everyone else eats them or not. I do think, however, that it's important to understand how MFP works and the implications of eating or not eating these cals. Then you can make an educated choice about what is right for your body and your health.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I thought that was the point of the whole thing....burn more calories than you eat. I'm still trying to lose weight but maybe when I reach my goal it will be different.

Yes, you need to burn more than you eat - but don't forget that your body uses lots of calories each day for hour basic body functions (ie to keep you alive). If you eat 1200 cals in a day and burn off 1300 at the gym you haven't made any allowance for the calories that you use up breathing, sleeping, digesting, pumping blood around your body etc.

In my case my body needs over 1400 cals to keep me alive each day and over 1800 to account for walking around, talking, doing my job etc. So, even if I don't exercise I need 1800 calories to stay at the same weight. If I run for 45 mins and burn off 500 calories, then my body is burning 2300 cals a day. So, on running days I could eat around 2300 cals and stay the same weight, anything less than this will have me losing weight.