Anbyody else stop using their scales??

Options
I think I've about had it with the whole weighing myself thing. I think I'll forget using the scale for now and just go by how my clothes fit and how I look and feel overall. I could be following my plan, etc., get on the scale and show that I gained! I know that musc le weighs more than fat, but to mentally stay strong on this journey, I've decided to give the scale a vacation for a few months until I feel the need to get on it agtain. Does that sound strange to anybody....does it make any sense?

Replies

• roberts1013
    roberts1013 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Nah I didnt weigh myself for the first two months of my weight loss journey let my clothes do all the talking!!
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    It makes perfect sense!! I don't loose for weeks at a time. BUT.....my clothes look better and I feel better about myself! That's what matters! :bigsmile:
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    I prefer not to weigh myself weekly its too stressful. I know im doing good
  • jojonesnz
    jojonesnz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    hey:smile:
    im exactly the same, i only weigh myself every 3-4 weeks now but i take my measurements regularly! i used to always get so disheartened when the scales would either go up or stay the same when i was working so hard on my health and fitness but my body is reshaping and i find measurements show that much better:wink:

good luck xx

3926322.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I've seen people on here not weigh themselves. I think there is a group focused on not using the scale on here. However, muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. They weigh the same.

Another good way you can see change is through progress pictures or measure your lose. Good luck on your journey! :drinker:
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself. It does nothing for me! At the beginning I used to weigh and measure my waist, hips, calve, thigh, chest and arm. I was loosing inches and yet not losing any weight. So I ditched the weighing and just go with the measuring. I can tell that I am loosing and I feel better. I say ditch weighing!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it works for some people, but I'm a daily weigher and plan on keeping it that way. It keeps me on track.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm so close to my goal I only weigh myself very rarely, otherwise I get upset over little gains and losses that can easily be attributed to water weight, undigested food, etc. I just keep on track and look in the mirror.
  • BodybyPlants
    BodybyPlants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I stopped - I am going by the feel of my body! It makes me happier! =)
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I gave up weighing myself months ago as my goal is fat and inch loss which diesn't always translate to 'weight' loss on the scales. I went to the Dr'soffice the other day and was weighed and I haven't gained any weight at all which for me is great as my body shape has changed and I now fit into smaller clothes.

I'm not knocking scales but they don't tell the whole story. I am in a much better place mentally since I stopped the obsessive weighing too.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    *Raising my Hand* Yes, i haven't completely though. Somedays I'll step on it and if it says I gained (even loss) I'll just brush it off and say whatever. My weeks/months consist of a green tap measurement that brings me joy to see an inch/ 1/2 inch loss!:bigsmile:
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself but I don't really pay much attention to it like I used to. I use it to make sure I'm staying ballpark where I was, not gaining. I haven't seen a definite change in the scale in so long (and it's ok if I don't), I'm just focusing on doing what I know I have to do in order to be healthy and achieve my goals of lowering body fat, etc. The scale is stupid! :)
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    I weigh myself every so often just to see how things are. But my weight fluctuates so much I'd make myself nuts if I did it all the time. I go by how I feel, how much energy I have and how much more I can do. When you have as much to lose as I do 5 or 10 pounds really don't mean much. But being able to walk through the store without having to use an electric cart, now that's an accomplishment for me. Being able to climb a flight of stairs without stopping and not feel like I'm going to die when I get to the top, huge. Though quitting smoking after 20 years probably didn't hurt things any.

Being healthy isn't just about what the scale says.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you sole goal is to weigh fewer pounds...use the scale; match your method of tracking to your goal.

Most of us have ancillary (or primary) goals that involve more than the # on the scale, so the scale is obsolete. I'm training for a race, so my goal is minute/mile and/or miles run per week.

I have used the scale in the past, but geez it can evoke a whirlwind of emotions. If your BMI is in the healthy range I'd find a different method of tracking (pictures, clothing size, skinfold measurements, anything else).
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    this has been a huge issue for me the last month couple months. im blessed with a husband who is always complimenting me on my hard work and im going to try and put the scale up for 1 month. we will see how it goes
  • kimbim60
    kimbim60 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I like the way they put it here!

A woman weighing 150 pounds with 19% fat will look much smaller (and be much healthier) than a woman at 150 pounds with 35% fat. They weigh the same, yet the composition is different. Because muscle is more dense than fat the person with less fat and more muscle will look smaller.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Nope sounds good to me. I got on the scale today and saw a 3 lb gain. If I had only done that I would have been upset all day. Well i took my measurements (inches) and fat skinfold test and I actually lost 5" and 1-3% fat. Soooo the scale is evil! :wink:
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I only use the scales if my clothes are too tight and I know I'm packing it on. That, in fact, is what led me here. I think it's best to go by how your clothes feel. At the same time, I would not disregard the scales altogether. When I disregarded them, I started putting on weight.
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have increased the amount I weigh myself but more for curiousity. I weigh myself in the morning and at night, have everything charted out in excel. I find the fluctuations interesting.

The best way to measure progress is by measuring tape, as long as you can measure yourself the exact same every single time.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale; I only get weighed at the doctor's office every three to four months. I told myself from the beginning that I was not going to rely on the number on the scale, but how I feel and look; if I am satisfied with how I feel and look before I reach my goal weight of 135 lbs, I will be happy. I'm actually more into my goal of a 32 inch waist, which I am about 2-2.5 inches from achieving.