How to get over a bad weekend?

Options
This weekend, I was bad...I mean bad...los of salty chips, ice cream, carbs, and to top it all off not a lot of activity...in fact Ithink a sloth would have found me lazy this weekend. BUT I plan on hitting it hard this week! Any tips for what I can do to get rid of the water retention and weekend mishaps? I'm already drinking a ton of water and I plan on getting some green tea in. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch everyone :happy:

Replies

• 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Everyone does that once in awhile. Its okay. Just start over tomorrow.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Don't think of yourself as bad. You're not a child that needs to be punished. You simply allowed yourself to get off the track. So, get back on track.
  • purpadillo
    purpadillo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself and move on. It's so easy to slip up and then berate yourself for days afterward, but it doesn't do any good. Drink the water to get rid of all the extra water and jump back on the wagon, learn from your mistakes, and close that chapter.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    sometimes we need those days so as not to get off track for wks or months at a time. just get right back on the wagon and really watch anything that is processed for hidden salt. get some extra exercise this wk, even 10 min a day will help you feel better physically and mentally
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I did this a few weeks ago, twice, and freaked when I gained 4 lbs. A few days later, lots of water, and getting back on track, I was down to my current weight again. Just start fresh tomorrow! We all deserve time off!
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It's a majority thing, if we eat badly and exercise little the majority of the time, we gain, if we eat well and exercise the majority of the time we lose/maintain.

Be good again this week, you may have slowed your progress a smidge but only a permanent regression will reverse it. :-)

Edit: Agree with gold finger
  • lawson305
    Options
    We all have bad days....the important part is tomorrow is a new day, and the slate is clean so to speak. Prior to MFP, maybe you wouldn't have cared at all?? So don't be so hard on yourself. Work hard and you'll get there!!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    What all of the others said. We all need a cheat day to keep us sane and to continue on this weight loss/fat loss. Just drin k up the water and tea. I also heard a shot of wheatgrass and physillum is great to restore. Oh and also cucumbers.
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You are already doing what you should do.Drinking the water and getting back on track tomorrow....:flowerforyou:
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said! Plus I think about how crappy all the junk food made me feel. After eating healthy for so long, it makes me feel like garbage. It helps me to not overdo it next time. It happens, we're human!
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I'd say don't go too extreme the other way! Eat plenty of healthy food and drink your water, but don't under-eat or cut out all fat cos you're likely to just bounce back into a binge.

My ideal is to be able to incorporate treats in moderation into my daily life. I'm mostly managing although sometimes going a bit over. I fitted in an afternoon tea with cake and things yesterday. And the day before that, I had a day away with lunch at a cafe and a cupcake in the afternoon. Some exercise helps keep the balance.
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The past two days, I had some really HUGE desserts, that almost fit into my log, but probably pushed me over a bit. They definitely weren't good days for me getting adequate nutrition, but this morning (although I don't pay much attention to my scale), I weighed 2 lbs less than I usually do. Sometimes your body needs that push. It's great that you realize that you had a bad weekend and plan to get back on track. That's the key to everything. Whereas before, you wouldn't have cared, you know now that you can't do that all the time and that you want to get back to eating healthy! Just do what you planned, and who knows, maybe it helped you a bit!
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You can't change the past. Just the future ...

However having said that, I suggest you ponder what the circumstances were, that caused you to go off track. Was it a "special occasion"? Was it just boredom/tiredness?

Are the conditions likely to occur next weekend? If so, is there anything you can do to change the outcome?

All the best ...
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You read my mind, i had a bad weekend too. Camping and fishing trip that involved bad food and way too much drinking. I feel guity but am on track again and really reflecting on how it made me feel. I ate rubbish, but this stuff i have been craving wasn't that great and cause was all i had started craving fresh clean non processed food. I didn't excercise for 2 days and really missed it and was dying for at least a walk. I didn't record but knew how quickly i would have gone over and felt it just wasn't worth it. However even though i wasn't the greatest I also found i ate less than what i would have before starting MFP, so i am getting somewhere and need to just accept sometimes it happens, hard though.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have mentioned the water thing but my main suggestion would be to not weigh yourself for a few days after you get back on track. Seeing the scale reflecting the water weight number seriously sucks! It's best to avoid it for a few days to give yourself some time to do damage control:)
  • Heatherdfowler
    Options
    Hey, we all have a cheat day/weekend every now and again....what matters most is what you do going forward. Get it in at the gym this week. Continue to drink plenty of water and consider doing a 7 day cleanse. Renew Life has a great one.
  • MadPanda75
    MadPanda75 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I'm feeling better already <3
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up, it's in the past. Just get back on track.