I'm wondering

Options
Often times when making dishes, I make a sauce it cooks in. I figure the calories using the tool on here, but what I am wondering is how do I figure the calories I actually consume since I dont eat all the sauce or marinade. Anyone have any idea?

Replies

• armywifejenny222
    Options
    Whenever I cook something I make it a recipe on here...like tonight when I made creamy orzo pasta...I cook it in chicken broth then once it is done, I add some spinach and artichoke cream cheese...when you add all the items into the recipe maker then enter how many servings the whole recipe is, then it will tell you how many it is for your portion...you can also quick enter it in your food diary from the recipe tab :)
  • amberrrogers
    Options
    Yes I understand that. That was not what I meant. I use the recipe tool daily. What I mean is when I make a marinade or sauce that a food is cooked in but not served with, how do I calculate the calories actually consumed with the sauce or marinade that is actually on the food, not the stuff left behind. Does that make sense? I want to give myself a fair shot at the calories I consume
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I just count it to make up for underestimation in other areas. Except with milk... I always leave about a 1/4 cup of milk in my cereal bowl and count difference.
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    I read somewhere you can measure the marinade/sauce that you put in to the food and then what's left when you're done cooking or eating. The difference is what you've consumed. That's probably a pain to do though so I like the other suggestion of just counting it all just to be safe and not under count your calories.
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I assume everything is just an approximation anyway, so I would just add that into my calories eaten for the day. I'd rather over-count my calories than under-count.

If, however, you want to measure everything to be as close to exact as possible, then I think TipMcE gave you the best answer so far.