Pregnancy Help!

So, I recently found out I'm pregnant! I'm very excited! I'm really hoping to do better this time around because, with my first child, I gained 55 pounds! AHHHH! My problem has been that I'm sick all the time now. If I get even a little bit hungry, I get very nauseous. I'm trying to eat smaller meals and snacks more frequently. Has anyone found any snacks to be particularly helpful for nausea? Or does anyone have any pregnancy / health advice for this time around? I've been trying to get out and walk, but I don't always get too far before I start to feel yucky. Any advice is welcome advice! :)

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    First of all, a huge congratulations to you! That's wonderful! Nausea can be difficult to deal with, and I know it must be hard trying to get all of the nutrition you need to grow a healthy baby when you're constantly sick. I found an article on nausea during pregnancy, and it had some good ideas!
    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/pregnantnausea.htm
    I hope this helps, best of luck!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    I ate 2-4 saltine crackers every half hour from 8:30-11:00 pretty much every day when I was pregnant with my son. I was fine when I was pregnant with my daughter.

My sister had to eat a piece of cheese before she raised her head off her pillow each morning when she was pregnant with one of her kids.

Everybody is different. Try a couple different things. For everyone's sake ... I hope you find what works for you ASAP. It's no fun being sick.
  • Ginger ale for nausea and be sure to eat a little something high protein before bed. String cheese or a peice of chicken is great. High protein at bedtime helps with morning sickness in the morning. Best wishes!!!!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Eat whatever doesn't make you sick. It's most important right now that you stay hydrated. I was incredibly ill both times I was pregnant. I couldn't even keep water down. Gatorade (either fruit punch, lemon-lime, or orange) with ice was given to me during my trips to the hospital to be rehydrated, and for some reason it stayed down. I don't know if you'll get to that point, but if you begin to lose weight during your first trimester, you need to be a little worried. Dehydration causes contractions and can cause you to lose the baby. This needs to be your focus over nutrition once you begin vomiting too often.

Take your vitamins at night or get chewables if that helps. I hope you feel better.

Check out helpher.org for some other tips for sickness.
  • Scatterdragon
    Scatterdragon Posts: 225 Member
    ask your doc about diclectin. It worked for me to take away the sickness. Also if you are taking prenatal vitamins, try taking them before bed, rather than in the morning. This also helped me immensely. Congrats!
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Congratulations! Try drinking a small glass of orange juice or eat half a banana. The potassium in the banana really helped me when I was pregnant with my daughter many years ago. And eat half a banana before going to bed, it helps when you first get up in the morning.
  • I had the same problem with my second!!! This sounds HORRIBLE but eating carbs was the only thing that got me through the first 3 months. Thankfully I only gained 30lbs with my second and I gained 50 lbs with my first. I also chewed the tar out of peppermint gum to help with the nausea. My husband used to by them in bulk. lol Walking is good just don't over do it. If you have morning sickness a lot this time around just know that your baby will be fine. I didn't gain the 30 until the second and third trimesters due to being sick. Good luck and a huge congrats to you!!!
  • Sallycinnimon
    Sallycinnimon Posts: 102 Member
    If your doctor gave you a list of medicines you can take, there should be a few for motion sickness. Those will help. I had to do that myself because I was sick the whole time.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Another baby! That is great news!

LOL...there isn't any advice, unfortunately each person and each pregnancy is different. I suffered from morning sickness with each pregnancy, and what helped me through one didn't work for another. I found that sucking on candy, jelly beans or m&m's helped keep the nausea at bay. Ice pops too really helped. You can try wearing the sea bands, that are for motion sickness, I have heard that they have helped some pregnant women. You can buy them at any pharmacy. Try and find what works for you. I was always told to eat what I could keep down, regardless of nutrition. The dr. rather have me eat a cookie and keep it down then eat a salad and give it back up...

Just try and stay hydrated, that is most important right now...small sips of fluid, water or even juice, through the day to not overload your stomach. Rest when you can. Don't panic about the weight gain right now, just concentrate on trying to get through the morning sickness.
    Hopefully it will only last a few weeks...bright side, your hormones are healthy!
  • Thank you all! These are wonderful suggestions!!! I wasn't sick at all (aside from a little heartburn here and there) with my first baby so this time around, I'm at a loss!! Luckily, I haven't been throwing up much...just feels like my stomach is a washing machine on a constant spin cycle! BLAH!!! Lots of foods don't settle well when I eat them but I only find that out AFTER I eat it...of course. But I'm so thankful for the help! I'm definitely going to be putting this stuff into practice! THANKS!!!