what to do with the bigger pants?

Options
now that the weather is cooler- I must resort to pants more often. I have almost an entire closet of size 14-16 pants and only a couple size 10 and 12 which is where I am not. Question: should I donate the rest- or keep in case I need them. They are huge on me. I use a belt a lot, but they are like "MC Hammer" pants! I don't know if I can afford to go on a splurge to buy more at my present size. And then I am still hoping to lose more. Only just beginning to lose the weight.

Replies

• felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Can you have them altered?
  • queenfresh
    queenfresh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    BURN THEM! You earned it!
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Check with second hand shops like Goodwill for pants that will fit. You can usually get a "new" pair for around $3. While you are there donate your bigger pants...you won't need them again! Keep one pair of your big pants so when you hit your goal you can try the big pants on and really see your progress!!!! :happy:
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    can you sell me your 14-16s? LMAO i am in a 16 heading for 14s, which is fab for me because I was at least a 22 when i started. I was wearing 18s and they were falling off, my boss actually asked me to please go shopping, lol. it is expensive though! I finally caved in and bought 3 pair of dress pants....i do laundry constantly cuz i don't have enough clothes!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    you could donate to salvation army or do what I did and make a tent. I had some big *kitten* pants
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    altering them would cost more- be cheaper in the end to just buy new. I may wear them and just wear bigger shirts over/or sweaters. I will eventually donate at least some- some are almost brand new.....
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    i would donate :)

that way, it will do something for someone else AND you won't have the pants to resort to "if you gain the weight back"

i think you'll be less likely to regain the weight if you don't have any bigger clothes anymore!!
  • sarahemily72
    Options
    Dr. Phil says to get rid of them as soon as you shrink out of them or you will end up back in them. Do you have a consignment store near you?
  • sarahemily72
    Options
    I just threw out 4 bags of clothes and am happy to see them go!
  • Obstinate07
    Options
    I donated my pants to salvation army since I have no plans to use them in the future.
  • Kimbers70
    Kimbers70 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Perhaps find someone in that size who might have 10-12's to trade with?
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    I gave all my big pants to goodwill. That way if I ever gain this weight back I won't have anything to wear!
  • EileenSipes
    Options
    You may be able to take the seam up on the outside leg seam. I have done this before and got a few more wears out of the pants. Simply go from the bottom up through the waist band. It doesn't work too well if you tuck in your top but if you wear your top over them you really cannot tell.
  • bassett8807
    bassett8807 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I always donate! If you keep them then it is more likely you will begin to fill them out again some day!! Get rid of them! And if you pants start to get tight don't go out and buy bigger ones just work harder lol!
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Don't know what your weight loss/gain history is like, but for me once I am solidly out of a size, I keep only my very favorite pieces of the larger size, just in case. I pack them away in a storage box in the garage, and then donate the rest. That way, if I sneak upwards in size I have an outfit or two to wear as I double my efforts to get back down. If I make a quick, big gain, I usually lose it pretty quickly too, so I only need emergency wear. Then, when I am down to the next size, I get rid of all of that largest size. Just don't keep it in your closet.
  • kantone999
    Options
    I had my nicer (read: more expensive) pants altered. In Houston, it runs about $14/pair but my tailor said if I'd bring them all at once, she'd do it for $8/pair. The cheaper ones, donate. See if there's a dress-for-success type charity in your area. They outfit underprivileged women who are trying to re-enter the workforce. If you don't like the idea of thrift stores, go to Ross, Marshall's or TJ Maxx. Their clearance rack pants run $10-15. Good job!
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    I'm going to save mine and then have a big bonfire and burn them to ashes.
  • FireMama_24
    FireMama_24 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You could make a quilt out of them. I am going to be doing that with some old shirts and pants I have.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    "Rid of them". I agree
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I always get rid of my "fat clothes" because I don't want them around and I don't want to ever have to wear them again. Most of the time I try to find someone I know to give them to. Several times in the past I have posted on my status or in a thread here on MFP to see if I can find someone who needs that size and then just mail them to them. I know that buying new clothes can get expensive, so I figure I'll try and help someone out with my good clothes that I just can't wear anymore.

So if you want to send me your 14-16's, I'll take them! lol...j/k...but I honestly do give mine away to someone I know that needs them.