what to do with the bigger pants?

Options
2»

Replies

• Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Try freecycle.org to give them away and to possible find some in your size. I've found people to be very generous there.
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    I had the same issue before I found this 2nd hand clothing store very close to me. I sold most of my 12 specially the jeans cause I think it would be too expensive to have them all altered. So I earned some store credit and used that credit for a couple of size 10 and couple of size 8. I am now down to size 8 although I can still use size 10 right off the dryer or when I have to use thermal pants underneath it. And I purchased from groupon a 75% off alteration thing for those dress/ work pants that can be altered. I will wait a while before I get them altered just because I am still hoping to shed some more.

Those pants that were not "bought" from me, I donate them to goodwill.

I am sure there are 2nd hand shops around your area.
  • gokeya2006
    gokeya2006 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check with second hand shops like Goodwill for pants that will fit. You can usually get a "new" pair for around $3. While you are there donate your bigger pants...you won't need them again! Keep one pair of your big pants so when you hit your goal you can try the big pants on and really see your progress!!!! :happy:

Great idea!
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    BURN THEM! You earned it!

There are people who can't afford new pants who would love to have these.

OP-I donate my clothes that no longer fit. I have kept one pair that were from my start weight so (if I ever reach goal) so I can have them for a final comparison photo.
  • JeepsMcCreeps
    Options
    Please donate them. Burning them is wasteful and there of plenty of people who really need them.
  • slimmingdownsteph
    slimmingdownsteph Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    if they can be taken it, do it :)
    if not donate them to goodwill or the salvation army.
    then you can buy new smaller pants for $3-5!

congrats on going down in sizes!
    i love that :D
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I would donate them. I'm keeping mine until I have a second child, so I have roomy clothes, once the second is here I will donate my big clothes. I hate to shop. I know I'm so cheap! I want to wait to lose another 68 pounds to try for a second child. So I have time. Donate them for the less fortunate. I volunteer for the less fortunate, and they are so relieved to get clothes for nothing, it makes people smile.
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You could make a quilt out of them. I am going to be doing that with some old shirts and pants I have.

I'm going to recycle mine into shopping bags so I don't have to bring home so many plastic bags.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I still have my nice clothes, I went from a size 24 to an 8 in a year. I have barely worn beautiful office clothes (suites, dress pants, jackets, sweaters and coats, I also have beautiful dresses). Each time I lost a couple of sizes I went shopping so I have something nice to wear. I want to sell them, I paid too much for them, just haven't had a chance to learn about ebay.
  • jilers
    jilers Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'd give them away. If you have them you're more likely to fill them in rather than lose the weight to fit into your current size
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If you have other RL friends who are on MFP or losing weight, have a clothing exchange. Did someone say party?! Otherwise, donate!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I have four bins of bigger clothes stored in my basement. I don't intend to ever have to wear them again, but realistically, I don't want to buy bigger clothes in case I gain back some weight. They will stay stored for at least a year before I consider donation.
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great ideas everyone! I do have quite a few places in my area I can donate to, some who may even buy back. I think burning would be fun, but I'd feel soooo guilty. I was a size 12-16 for the last 20 or so years going in between the sizes. The last 8-10 I've been a size 14. I really have mostly size 14. I would love to get into single digit sizes-don't recall ever being there except as a really young kid. That would be huge! I am one of those ladies who seems to have 0 butt or hips, so my stomach is what holds up the pants- lucky me! I think the more weight I lose, I may start noticing some hips. :) I am taking babysteps, thankful to have loose size 12's and snug 10's, but ready any time for the single digits! Thanks again!
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've been giving all my pants away (started at size 24) I am currently in size 10. I buy mine at the thrift store until I'm done.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I shop at Goodwill in Phx on thursdays which is dollar day. I have gotten brand new, with the tags on, clothing that was Ann Taylor, Ann Klein, Gap, Guess and Chaus for a buck a piece! And when I went back to work this spring I found suits for a buck which makes each piece .50 cents each! Most of my friends turn their nose up at this but I would rather spend the money on handbags! I did buy a lot of nice clothes at the mall when I lost all of my weight but now they just sit in the closet waiting for me to lose the weight! You have to look through a lot of clothes because it is only a certain color that day but some saturdays are 50% off. I have bought wedding gowns there also for comicons as dress up so I love Goodwill. And I take stuff in also. they used to give you coupons to use but I havent donated in a while so not sure about that. savers is great also.wherever you live, try shops that are in better areas of the city as the rich people donate new stuff all the time!
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Take them to a nice consignment store and get credit for new ones! The one I went to back home was higher end and focused on selling designer brands like True Religion etc
  • isherryb
    isherryb Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I tend to wear my clothes till they fall apart...lol...I told my husband we were going to have a fat clothes burning party. The nice ones I will probably give away.
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I shop at Goodwill in Phx on thursdays which is dollar day. I have gotten brand new, with the tags on, clothing that was Ann Taylor, Ann Klein, Gap, Guess and Chaus for a buck a piece! And when I went back to work this spring I found suits for a buck which makes each piece .50 cents each! Most of my friends turn their nose up at this but I would rather spend the money on handbags! I did buy a lot of nice clothes at the mall when I lost all of my weight but now they just sit in the closet waiting for me to lose the weight! You have to look through a lot of clothes because it is only a certain color that day but some saturdays are 50% off. I have bought wedding gowns there also for comicons as dress up so I love Goodwill. And I take stuff in also. they used to give you coupons to use but I havent donated in a while so not sure about that. savers is great also.wherever you live, try shops that are in better areas of the city as the rich people donate new stuff all the time!

This is exactly what I'm talking about. I stay on top of style AND dont go broke. It's a must when your loosing and want to look good. It takes a little time but there are at least 7 goodwill/thrift stores in my area. I strongly suggest checking them out. You would be suprised