Just got an HRM, best investment so far...

Options
I hat a net calorie goal of 1600 a day. The first 50 pounds came off pretty quickly, these last 5 pounds have been pretty slow. I know my food measurements are good, I measure/weigh pretty much everything i eat. I figured I should get a HRM just to make sure I'm not over/under reporting the calories I'm burning. Well, I was about 500 calories UNDER what I was actually burning so my daily net was 900-1100... Ooops!

I've increased my intake for the last 2 days and have already dropped a pound.

Replies

• elizarm
    Options
    wow, thats great!
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My HRM calculates that I burn much more than what MFP says I do. Definitely helpful when figuring out how many calories I should consume!
  • acuratlsd
    Options
    Which Heart Rate Monitor do you have and where did you buy it. I think I need to get one but I don't want to be dooped into buy a cheap one.

what are some things that I need to look for in a HRM when I buy one?
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    get a Polar; the chest strap hrm's are more accurate than the others and Polar has a wide range of models
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are not the most accurate no matter how expensive they are. In order to have a true measure for the calories burned - you would need to have a VO2 max done or fancier. I just wrote about a friend of mine whose HRM was about 20% off the actual calories burned. It is the nature of the beast.
  • acuratlsd
    Options
    Another Question I forgot to ask....

The best place to buy one for good quality, but not so hard on the wallet.
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P8VWQS/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details This is the one that I got. it's worked well so far and is only $40.

Scott
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are not the most accurate no matter how expensive they are. In order to have a true measure for the calories burned - you would need to have a VO2 max done or fancier. I just wrote about a friend of mine whose HRM was about 20% off the actual calories burned. It is the nature of the beast.

They are the most accurate way to measure calories burned that's accessible to the average consumer.

MFP showed 500 calories for my average workout
    my HRM showed 1000. Even if it's 20% off then I'm burning 800-1200 which would mean MFP was 38%-58% off.

I'll take the HRM.
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options

My HRM calories seem a bit low too, but I can't prove it. It just motivates me to work even harder, though. I can definitely tell that my fitness level has improved since I keep pushing myself to get my heart rate up.