I think I made a weighing boo-boo

Soo, I have a sinking feeling.

I got some quinoa from my school cafeteria. Since I was eating my room (glugh, term paper), I weighed the quinoa. Calorie King told me the calories for cooked quinoa--100 grams. I put it into MFP and got the count again. I was STOKED because it was a lot lower than I thought--and quite a bit of quinoa!

Then I noticed the calorie count for the 100 grams translated to about 1/2 on the MFP entry for cooked quinoa. But I had a bit less than a full cup of quinoa.

So, at first I was happy, and thinking that my scale pwns all (yes, it's accurate). Then after dinner I had a dark thought...I'm guessing the cooked quinoa would include a lot of water weight? This quinoa was a bit on the dry side. Fully cooked, but not "fresh from the pot wet."

Did I probably consume way more calories than I originally thought? It doesn't bother me too much, because I'd just busted my *kitten* in spin, but I'm curious for next time.

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Soo, I have a sinking feeling.

I got some quinoa from my school cafeteria. Since I was eating my room (glugh, term paper), I weighed the quinoa. Calorie King told me the calories for cooked quinoa--100 grams. I put it into MFP and got the count again. I was STOKED because it was a lot lower than I thought--and quite a bit of quinoa!

Then I noticed the calorie count for the 100 grams translated to about 1/2 on the MFP entry for cooked quinoa. But I had a bit less than a full cup of quinoa.

So, at first I was happy, and thinking that my scale pwns all (yes, it's accurate). Then after dinner I had a dark thought...I'm guessing the cooked quinoa would include a lot of water weight? This quinoa was a bit on the dry side. Fully cooked, but not "fresh from the pot wet."

Did I probably consume way more calories than I originally thought? It doesn't bother me too much, because I'd just busted my *kitten* in spin, but I'm curious for next time.
  • jleshko
    jleshko Posts: 40 Member
    200 calories in 2oz of Quinoa, 637 Calories in 1 Cup of Quinoa (unprepared). If you prepared it using water then no more calories were introduced as water has no calories. If you prepared it using Hershey's syrup and marshmallows then more calories were introduced ;-) enjoy your Quinoa it is sooo good for you.
  • Frost
    Frost Posts: 312 Member
    Quinoa ? What is it?
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Quinoa is a very healthy grain/seed thing eaten by the Incans. It's yummy! Kind of like a nuttier, more hearty couscous.

No, see, what concerns me is that I entered the data for COOKED quinoa. Because my quinoa was cooked. But water adds weight. However, my quinoa was pretty dry (cooked, just a bit dry). So I'm wondering if it lost all the water and therefore the weight on the scale would be the caloric equivalent of dry quinoa.