Anyone else feel worse since starting this?

Options
Ever since starting this I think I feel worse about myself. All I can think about is fat and calories and working out. I feel guilty about everything I eat and I feel so much more aware of how fat I am now. It is definitely discouraging. Even when I lose a few pounds it just doesn't feel like enough. I think I'm really starting to annoy my husband lol. Any advice?

Replies

• Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but I feel the same!!
  • kari1740
    kari1740 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It sucks. I feel like I lost so much confidence. Lol isn't working out supposed to do the opposite?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Ever since starting this I think I feel worse about myself. All I can think about is fat and calories and working out. I feel guilty about everything I eat and I feel so much more aware of how fat I am now. It is definitely discouraging. Even when I lose a few pounds it just doesn't feel like enough. I think I'm really starting to annoy my husband lol. Any advice?

How many calories are you eating?
  • kari1740
    Options
    Roughly 600 to 800 ish!
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It could be food. I looked at your diary and you aren't eating enough calories (according to MFP & science in general). Also eating real food instead of diet/protein shakes might help. I know it is tempting to do way reduced calories at first to get results, but sadly it usually doesn't work out too well. I know I do better when I eat enough and eat real food.
  • youngmum
    youngmum Posts: 114
    Options
    oh no! maybe you need to focus on different goals? Like at the gym focus on getting stronger, lifting heavier, running further or faster.. and don't focus as much on calories burnt so long as you're going.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Uh too low.... your brain prob isnt getting enough glucose and you prob dont have energy to do anything....
    Roughly 600 to 800 ish!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Roughly 600 to 800 ish!

How tall are you?
    2 foot?

Give me your stats and ill tell you what your lowest calories should be.
    weight
    goal
  • deegeyspazms
    deegeyspazms Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Oh mate - you look beautiful in your picture - have you dropped a dress size? Are you eating more healthily? Perhaps you could make a little list of positives to cheer you up. Do you feel like this all the time? It might be worth keeping a diary of your feelings and moods to see if there's a pattern. I'm 41 now and am just getting to grips with my mood cycles! When I have bad days I tell myself that I know it wont last - and it doesn't! Take care and don't give up xxx
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Oh mate - you look beautiful in your picture - have you dropped a dress size? Are you eating more healthily? Perhaps you could make a little list of positives to cheer you up. Do you feel like this all the time? It might be worth keeping a diary of your feelings and moods to see if there's a pattern. I'm 41 now and am just getting to grips with my mood cycles! When I have bad days I tell myself that I know it wont last - and it doesn't! Take care and don't give up xxx

she doesnt feel good because she isnt eating enough food for basic body functions.
    Average person requires 1400cals at least just to survive in a coma or while sleeping.
    This is torture!
    Its why she feels so bad.

At any rate!
    Plug your info into this website
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • kari1740
    Options
    I am 5'3, I weigh 185 and I want to weigh around 125 and I am 26!
  • kari1740
    Options

I don't think I have dropped a dress size yet. I am eating alot healthier, that does make me happy :) I am generally pretty happy and confident but the past week or so I've just been so fixated on weight, grrr. Thank you for the advice though :)
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    In addition to eating more calories, as others have suggested, I would also recommend changing your mindset.

It seems like you may be in a mode of punishing yourself for being overweight so you need to "diet" to get weight off quickly and be miserable in the meantime.

I would suggest that your frame of mind should not be on a "diet" but on making lifestyle changes that actually nurture you, not punish you. Your body loves to move and be fed wonderful tasting, nutritious food.

Your MFP journey should be a nurturing experience full of kind acts towards yourself.

Hang in there, adjust your calories (up!) and perhaps the timeframe that you were expecting to lose weight in (slow and steady wins the race) and you will do just fine and you will reach your goals. Good luck!

[NOTE: I would also recommend the free calculators on www.fat2fitradio.com that another poster meantioned]
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Try to weigh yourself just once a week. Eat clean and eating tons of veggies will help. You're cal intake is def on the very low side and try to eat 5 times a day. Remember this is a marathon, not a sprint..you can do it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Roughly 600 to 800 ish!
    Yeah, this is the problem. If you keep it up, you can really disrupt your metabolism. Eat the amount of calories MFP suggests you do, plus you exercise calories.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I am 5'3, I weigh 185 and I want to weigh around 125 and I am 26!

Harris-Benedict Formula
    There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is

1634 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?
    Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1648
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1888
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2128
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2368
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2609
  • AriannaTiyen42
    AriannaTiyen42 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are eating enough but I am no expert. Do you feel stronger? Have more definition? More energy? Those are all great accomplishments. And you did say you are losing weight. That is great. Try to think baby steps. I am losing very slowly and I work myself hard at the gym. I just have to figure out my diet I suppose but at least we are not gaining!
  • crystalrivers
    Options
    I know it's really hard with this site because you tend to start obsessing over everything you eat - I used it a year and a half ago and lost 25 lbs - at 5'2 it's a major difference so as soon as I gained 10lbs back I got back on the site. It took months of logging in or just "being aware" of what you are eating, I had a theory where I would go, well I went over by 600 calories, let me walk a half hour and at least take 100 off. I think it's impossible to go below most of the time and kudos to those that do but seriously, I went over by 500 almost everyday and 1100 a couple days a week and still managed to drop 25lbs over months of doing it. The trick is to be descrete about it so you don't irritate your friends and when they are eating stuff you know is way over what you are supposed to, grab a hundred calorie pack of whatever, drink an entire bottle of water and then eat with them, and enjoy your meal. At least, if anything, you will be eating LESS then what you normally would. And that is the goal right? Use it as a guideline and don't beat yourself up. My fiance hates it when I talk about it too, but he is a twig, so I just say "I am not that hungry right now" rather then "I can't eat that." then I sneak my granola bar, bottle of water and join him for the meal..... It's hard but it does pay off. Don't give up, because I had never been so happy as when I dropped that weight and although I gained half back, I am more determined to get back down because that kind of control is a wonderful feeling. You are not fat, you are gorgeous and the fact that you are giving yourself the chance to eat right and live a longer, healthier life is wonderful....the first 3 months suck is all.... KEEP PUSHING!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Eye opening isnt it?
    Friend me if you need any more help!
    Hugs!

Oh! Enjoy eating!
    Youll feel zounds better!
  • kantone999
    Options
    We are so conditioned to look at what's wrong that we forget how many things are right. Along with better eating and exercise habits, we have to improve our mental outlook as well. The best advice I can give you is to catch yourself every time your thoughts go into a downward spiral and say, "I may not be perfect but I'm working in that direction. I'll get to my goals. I can do this."

Look at how far you've come, not how far you have to go. I was stuck at 160/161 pounds for four whole months. Was I discouraged? You bet. Did I give up? Absolutely not. I dug my claws in to that weight and said "I've lost 22 pounds. And I will not gain one of them back if I stay at this weight forever."

Finally, I upped my cardio, increased complex carbs and decreased fat and started losing again. Just hang in there. Be patient. It took time to gain weight and it will take time to lose it. When you readjust to the reduced calories and get used to counting calories, it will. Become second nature and you won't have to think about it so much. Good luck!!