hair extensions

Options
Vodkha
Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
Does anyone here have or have had hair extensions? What is theprocess to put them in? What is the maintenance? How long can you keep them in? Are they hard on your natural hair?

Replies

• _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Boyfriend of a hair stylist here.

There are several types of hair extensions. If you want them to be good, please, please please go to a professional. If you dont, they look aweful. Just aweful. Now once you have arrived at a professional, it depends. There are tracks they can sew into your hair, which is sort of like they make corn rows in your hair, and then sew the hair in. There is also beads, which is what my girl uses. These are beads that go around your hair and the extensions, and get locked in place. They look great btw.

Whats great about a professional doing it is it should hurt you if someone gets on your hair. Laying next to my girl, if I roll on her hair, she is not going to be dying in pain, which did happen when someone who wasnt professionally trained did it. Also she has had hers in for coming up on maybe 5 months, only had to have them retightened once. If put in right, they will cause no permanent damage to your natural hair
  • Munkyzilla
    Options
    I have hair extensions and they look great. My stylist does nothing but extensions and she does the sew in kind. You can't tell any of her clients have extensions by looking at us. :-)
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Also when done by a professional, you can rarely tell that they are extensions (unless you are a hair stylist, my girl can pick them out like a pro)
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Do any of you have pictures you can show of what your hair looks like with the extensions in? Are they very expensive?
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've had all types of hair extensions. I really like the clip in kind, they arent crazy expensive. I liked them because i got them " cut in" to my hair so they flowed and i could take them in and out if i wanted. Also with swimming and showers i feel like clip ins will last longer, and you wont lose as much hair when removing. I had sewn in ones and i lost alot of hair when they were removed. I think that also depends what type of hair you have. I have baby fine, so when it was sewn in my hair pretty much matted together. =( AH!
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I have had the Great Lengths hair extensions which are the individual hair extensions that are attached to your own hair near the scalp. I used to work at a spa and a stylist there did them. They were amazing, they looked real and I had them for 4 months (my hair grows slowly; just needed a trim now and then). It is an extensive process to put them in and take them out (you need to have the stylist take them out as well), but my hair wasn't damaged at all by them. I would definitely have that kind again!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I had them for my stupid wedding 10 years ago! Never again! They were sewn in and cost a fortune. I had pretty long locks but taking them out was horrendous. I got married in August so it was hot. The crap itched! Just thinking about them makes me shudder.
  • Being2befit
    Being2befit Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I LOVE HAIR EXTENSIONS.....My mummy does hair dreamweavers hair extensions are amazing there individual so they take time..i got a good deal on mines...only paid 600 for 1400 dollars worth of hair.. :) good luck clip ins are good too!! :smile:

individual cost ALOT OF MONEY ranging from 500-2500

clip in's if you want good quality 100-300

clip in's cheap quality 40-100
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    Had extensions a few years ago
    I bought Indian hair at a beauty shop for about $100 and I went to a beauty school to get them sewn in for $100. They lasted me for a month (I used dry shampoo for that whole month) then I went back to get them removed and redone for the same price.
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    I wore them once (clip in) and never will do again. My head felt like it weighed a ton and they were itchy. I ended up taking them out and thwoing them in the bin on my night out!