I assume I will be putting on weight

Options
I assume I will be putting on weight this week, as I had a very variable week food wise, due to having husband at home all week and celebrating my birthday. Exercise wise I was aright and I had three days under calorie goal and four days over calories and a lot of the food had a high level of sodium too. !

So of course I'll be putting on weight this week but how much shall I expect ?

Of course all the excess sodium will make me gain water weight but that should be flushed out of my system by Friday, my weigh in day.

So calorie wise....If I count all the over calories I should put on 3000 calories over , which is pound gain this week.

But looking at my weekly total taking into account my under calorie days I am just 900 calories over, which is 1/3 pound gain this week.

So I guess the question I am asking is, does the body take on board an average of a weekly intake or just the the over calories ?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Focus more on your weekly intake :]

By the way love what you did with your ticker! Wish more would do the same instead of complaining xD
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    You may not put any on. Be focused and EXERCISE!! Everything will work out if you keep the exercise up. At least you won't gain. :bigsmile: Stay strong!!
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Will focus on weekly intake :)

Definitely keep up the exercise, if I could maintain this week I would feel I did well.
    By the way love what you did with your ticker! Wish more would do the same instead of complaining xD
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    you wont put on any real fat unless youve eaten over your MAINTENANCE calories. so if your 900cals over thats just 900cals less of a defecit throughout the week so if you're set to lose 1lb per week you will only have a 2600cal defecit. so technically you will still lose.
  • smokey10910
    Options
    Try hard not to set yourself up for failure! I have gotten stuck in this trap so many times and it makes it that much harder to get back on track! Don't be to hard on yourself and take one day at a time!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    you wont put on any real fat unless youve eaten over your MAINTENANCE calories. so if your 900cals over thats just 900cals less of a defecit throughout the week so if you're set to lose 1lb per week you will only have a 2600cal defecit. so technically you will still lose.

very true! Forgot to look at it this way :]
  • Babieseverywhere
    Options
    Hurrah, I forgot about this. :)

Not that any one week matters too much, I intend this to be a change for life. But it is nice to know there is a built in pillow :)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm worried too.. I've pulled a muscle in my back yesterday and still can hardly move its agony anytime I need to move even to get from bed to loo, let alone try to exercise.

Also my TOTM is due next week so I'll be putting on some more pounds then.. I'm starting to feel a bit panicky that my weight will go too far over 11st (taken my nearly 6 months to get to 11st) and I'm not gonna reach my goal for xmas as I wanted to get to 10st 7 which is top end of healthy for my height.

I'm starting to think of liquid diets and diet pills just for 1-2 week to keep weight down until I can exercise again. (proper 2hr workout without pulling anything again!)
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I'm worried too.. I've pulled a muscle in my back yesterday and still can hardly move its agony anytime I need to move even to get from bed to loo, let alone try to exercise.

Also my TOTM is due next week so I'll be putting on some more pounds then.. I'm starting to feel a bit panicky that my weight will go too far over 11st (taken my nearly 6 months to get to 11st) and I'm not gonna reach my goal for xmas as I wanted to get to 10st 7 which is top end of healthy for my height.

I'm starting to think of liquid diets and diet pills just for 1-2 week to keep weight down until I can exercise again. (proper 2hr workout without pulling anything again!)

read above and ditch the thoughts about diet pills. pointless.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I assume I will be putting on weight this week, as I had a very variable week food wise, due to having husband at home all week and celebrating my birthday. Exercise wise I was aright and I had three days under calorie goal and four days over calories and a lot of the food had a high level of sodium too. !

So of course I'll be putting on weight this week but how much shall I expect ?

Of course all the excess sodium will make me gain water weight but that should be flushed out of my system by Friday, my weigh in day.

So calorie wise....If I count all the over calories I should put on 3000 calories over , which is pound gain this week.

But looking at my weekly total taking into account my under calorie days I am just 900 calories over, which is 1/3 pound gain this week.

So I guess the question I am asking is, does the body take on board an average of a weekly intake or just the the over calories ?

I don't get the whole I am going to put on weight that people say. A. is people forcing all this food down your throat? B. Can you not portion control or work out? C. I eat 5k calories one day once a week and the weight is gone usually after 24 hours. One day of overeating doesn't hurt you, in fact it can help your metabolism. If I knew I was going to put on weight I'd do my darnedest to make better choices on the up coming meals.

Also as it is mentioned depending on how mfp is set you might have more calories to maintain. Switch it to maintain mode for the week if you are worried. Then you have a guideline at what to eat below to not gain weight.
  • Babieseverywhere
    Options
    If I was perfect at food choices and exercise levels I wouldn't be fat, would I ?

I am here is order to *learn* how to do these things, This is my first 'celebration event, going out to eat and holiday with husband' rolled into one, since I joined MFP. I did very well keeping up with my exercises. I made good choices with food half the time and best of what was on offer choices on the other days. Calorie downfall was alcohol but again I am learning to watch that,

Plus my sneak on the scale this morning shows I will still be losing something this week. Yeah. SO I was worried about nothing. But it is important for me to be able to celebrate birthdays, have holidays without losing control over my inputs.
    Also as it is mentioned depending on how mfp is set you might have more calories to maintain. Switch it to maintain mode for the week if you are worried. Then you have a guideline at what to eat below to not gain weight.
    Thank you that is a good idea :) One I will be taking up on Christmas day.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Life happens, I have lived this diet roller coaster for most of my life. The mental effects of having a bad day or bad week far outweigh (no pun intended) the extra pounds on the scale.

We are in this for the long-term, it's a marathon and not a sprint. Even after I lost over 100lbs, I still struggle sometimes. The most important thing I have learned through my journey is to NOT stress out over having a bad day, or even a week. Just put it behind you and move on. Also birthday's are a FREE DAY, eat whatever you want. I promise you it won't make you fat. Same with holiday's, just do it.
  • Babieseverywhere
    Options
    Thanks for the lovely supportive messages, MFP really rocks :)
    Also birthday's are a FREE DAY, eat whatever you want. I promise you it won't make you fat. Same with holiday's, just do it.
    Love this. ;)