Master your Metabolism

Options
Has anyone else read this? I am really enjoying it and although some of it is tough to hear I do agree with much of what I'm reading. It just simply makes sense. That being said...EEK!!! I knew I needed to make a lot of changes, but not kidding when I say, if I went through my cupboards and refrigerator and threw away everything that she tells me to...let's see....the venison could stay as we processed that ourselves, maybe the chicken even though it isn't free-range, the eggs and milk are okay....pretty much everything else is out of here! Obviously, I can't afford to do that, but for the 1st time I feel like I have a goal to shoot for and practical ways to begin changing. I'm sure I've read and heard this all before (repeatedly!) but for some reason this time it makes more sense or seems more real. I'm not sure what the difference is, maybe my attitude?
Anyway, just rambling on ...but ,I do recomend the read!

Becky

Replies

• beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Has anyone else read this? I am really enjoying it and although some of it is tough to hear I do agree with much of what I'm reading. It just simply makes sense. That being said...EEK!!! I knew I needed to make a lot of changes, but not kidding when I say, if I went through my cupboards and refrigerator and threw away everything that she tells me to...let's see....the venison could stay as we processed that ourselves, maybe the chicken even though it isn't free-range, the eggs and milk are okay....pretty much everything else is out of here! Obviously, I can't afford to do that, but for the 1st time I feel like I have a goal to shoot for and practical ways to begin changing. I'm sure I've read and heard this all before (repeatedly!) but for some reason this time it makes more sense or seems more real. I'm not sure what the difference is, maybe my attitude?

Becky
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    is this the Jillian Michael's Metabolism book?
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much about tossing stuff out. That book wasn't written with a deep global recession and possible depression in mind, hehe.

Focus on grocery shopping and make your changes there so that eventually, your cupboards and fridge will reflect your changes and resolve.

I never read that book but this is what we did when our household started to lean towards cleaner eating.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I'm not speaking to my metabolism...
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I have been very happy to not replace things as they were consumed or ran out.

It's been my opinion that anything that comes manufactured in a bottle, a jar, a can, a box or a bag is pretty much useless, nutritionally (except the obvious things like spices and marinades). Very simply put, the more close to natural you get with the foods you eat, the healthier you're going to be no matter what your health goals are.

Good for you for having the strength to 'help' (cough) the process along some!!
  • hockeymom77
    Options
    Congratulations on not smoking!! What a incredible addiction to overcome. If you can do that you can do anything!!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

I am not speaking to my metabolism right now either.......it's int he dog house for making me lose nothing.....zero.....zip since March 17th!
  • jennlos
    jennlos Posts: 200
    Options
    but for the 1st time I feel like I have a goal to shoot for and practical ways to begin changing. I'm sure I've read and heard this all before (repeatedly!) but for some reason this time it makes more sense or seems more real. I'm not sure what the difference is, maybe my attitude?

Becky

I think they call that "your aha moment" We have all heard and read and were told what was needed to do to win the battle of the bulge but we needed something to click in our own mind before we really got it. Good luck with your weight loss journey!!:flowerforyou: AS SAID BY THE GREAT ROB SCNIEDER,LOL, YOU CAN DO IT!!! I know I spelled his name wrong but anyway you'll get it if you have seen the waterboy. lol
  • beckyi88
    Options
    Yes, this is Jillian Michael's book!

Thank you for pointing out my *aha* moment! Here, I finally had one and didn't even recognize it!!! :happy: Now, I'm so pumped!!!!

I definitely won't be throwing things out, but as some of you pointed out, I will NOT replace some things as they run out and others will be replaced with healthier versions. But, boy some of those *healthy* options are tricky too! I bought pita chips instead of potato and just read the ingredient list....certainly better than a potato chip, but still too many *fake* or unhealthy items listed.
    maybe the key word which should've clued me in is *CHIPS*?!?LOL!
    I think I will be heading out to Trader Joes next week!
    And going to finally head down to the farmer's market!

Becky
  • bootsnspurs4horses
    Options

LOL> . . ME EITHER !!! LOL
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I made a deal with myself that I can only eat a dessert if I prepare it from scratch. But I don't know how to make a twix from scratch so I let myself have that.:smile:
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Eee, I can't wait to get my mitts on this! Jilly-cakes is my hero!

She admits that she did not come by this naturally. On her radio show, she mentioned how she and her friends used to have "Splenda parties." Then she got really into finding out what was in her food, and realized all the crap we routinely put in our bodies.

I admit, I still drink Crystal Light...but no Diet Coke!
  • beckyi88
    Options
    I really love this book! Jillian is so honest about how poorly she used to eat by eating a typical low calorie diet. My biggest *AHA* moment has been recognizing how far from real food most things I eat are! I'm down from a 6 pack a day diet Coke habit to the 8oz. cans, once daily. But, I think I'm going to reduce that even more...maybe once a week.
    I totally recommend reading this!
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I guess this is a book that I am going to have to look at.

Is she just saying that you shouldn't eat anything processed?

I did that February 2, 2009. My son still eats Annie's Organic Mac and Cheese and Cheddar Bunnies. But now I have to cook and buy completely unprocessed foods. It's very time consuming.