When family shouldn't be together.. fun holiday mishalps!

Options
Iamfit4life
Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
Everybody has a disaster holiday story... what's yours?

Christmas I was 16. My fathers best friend had passed away on Christmas Eve, he had a massive heart attack.
My grandmothers response to my father(who has never really been slender) was "well, chuck doesn't this prove maybe it's time for you to lose weight.
15 minutes later my boyfriend at the time(he was "punk") came and brought me my christmas gift. It was a chain with a lock around it. To wear around my neck.

And that was all the man could handle. What a long night that was.

We also had a microwave turkey disaster one year.

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    When our pets got to the turkey before we did! We left our kitchen for a few minutes, and came back to the dogs and cats eating it off the floor. We were so mad then, but now we just laugh. :)
  • ukyo999
    Options
    my brother makes what we lovingly call over spiced cabbage. You need a gallon of water to get it down its so hot.
  • Jacksonsmomma2211
    Jacksonsmomma2211 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The first time my aunt had Easter at her house!
    The scalloped potatoes boiled over in the oven and her new oven locked itself down into self cleaning mode! To this day, I don't think she has had Easter dinner again!!!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    one year I had too much to drink while playing scrabble with my sister, and she accused me of cheating the scores (I'd just drunk too much to add up right!) and we had a blazing row, at which point my mum tried to intervene and I told her to shut up and butt out, which didn't go down too well at all - ended up with me and my sister in tears upstairs with my mum in a huff downstairs, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise, my sister and I cleared the air about a lot of childhood rivalry that night and I swear without it we wouldn't be as close as we are now
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    I was Christmas and I was 8 or 9 and my Mom spent hours and a ton of money buying and wrapping a full Barbie Wardrobe for me. I mean there was like 40 outfits in all and after opening everything she asked how Santa did and I answered sadly: "I guess I wasn't very good this year, I only got small stuff." She never lets me forget it to this day!
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    The "Great Key Debacle" of 2007.

Took my now-husband home for the holidays- for the first time. On our way to family get-together, we dropped by the store to buy some liquor, with just hubby and me going into the store- everyone else out in the car. When we got back- the car keys were gone!!! We all spent 30 minutes looking in the vehicle until we called someone to come pick us up and deliver us on time to family. Went back later with spare keys to get the car- NEVER found the original set... ?????
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    When I was in university, my parents drove for 3 hours to pick me up (and my cat) and we all drove for 3 more hours to spend Christmas with my Grandmother.

My cat didn't travel well. He had diarrhea all over his crate. My parents were pissed at me and stayed pissed the whole trip because the car smelled so bad!

Hahahahahahahahah.
  • Iamfit4life
    Options
    Also the christmas ex and I had at our house.
    Him, his sister and I all got up at about 7am and started with mimosas and baileys in our coffee.

By the time my parents arrived at noon, we were all absolutley TRASHED. It was awful.

I'll never forget the look on my parents faces. Like "WTF, get us out of here"
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Not a disaster, but a funny holiday story.

I was maybe 7 or so. My older brother, then about 15, wanted a weight bench and weights for Christmas. I woke up in the middle of the night to hear all kinds of clunking and banging and my father swearing, "G**damn sonofab*tch!" Hey, now... that's not Santa! That's Dad... that means... there's no Santa!

For years and years and years after, my father would complain that the only time those weights ever got lifted was when he brought them in the house that night! :laugh:
  • stampede55
    Options
    Traveled to my grandmother's house for Christmas last year and was pleasantly surprised to see that my younger cousin had purchased a 1/5 of Crown Royal for me. Best present eva! I have an uncle that hides beer in my grandmother's basement for us to drink, so naturally we went down after dinner for a sippy sip. It ends up that between him, me, my wife, and two of my cousins, we smash the entire bottle. I'm seasoned, so I was good....my uncle however was not. He passed out downstairs for a couple of hours, and when we went to go get him up he was pale as hell. I knew it was over for him. He yacked his guts up and had to be driven home by my aunt who never drives. I'm no longer allowed to receive whiskey as a present, and my grandmother thinks that I'm an alcoholic.....I guess I can see that. My uncle will never live it down....lightweight!!
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    The time I cooked the turkey and didn't take the bag of giblets out.,...

The time it took like 10 hours to cook my turkey, it was finished about 2 hours after dinner was planned.
  • knighttrain74
    knighttrain74 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the year but I was like 10ish! My parent had bought me a really cool BMX bike! It was black and had flames painted on it! It was really expensive and so cool. Well they stored it at our neighbors house where my best friend lived. Well he was snooping around Christmas Eve and found it! he called me and told me he was getting the coolest bike tomorrow and how he wanted to race me in the morning!

Well we woke up and "Santa" had given me the exact bike he described to me the night before.. I called him and he didn't get his bike... Needless to say our parents had to fess up because we were really confused lol!
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    *sigh* backtrack to only last year when my mother brought her alcoholic boyfriend to my MILs house. he stumbled up the steps into the house (at 1100 am), sat down on the couch and passed out, got a kick in the shins by my mother which woke him up and then he stumbled down the hallway to the bathroom and barely was able to eat his dinner...then fastforward to a month later for christmas when apparently my mothe rtold him if you come to christmas eve drunk we're breaking up. he had beer throughout the day and i guess after we left she couldnt find said asshat and she went upstairs to find him taking swigs from the vodka bottle he stashed in a backpack in my old room.

im sad to say he's STILL around and i can only imagine the stories ill have this year. *face palm*
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Another christmas, I owned "two" russian dwarf hamsters - and by two, I mean there had previously been two, apparently both females - a few weeks before christmas, two had become 16, and we travelled up the motorway to my grandparents house with ice creams tubs, plastic boxes, biscuit tins, all sorts full of hamsters, having to keep all the males on their own (because they fight) and all the females separate from the males (because even at a few weeks old they breed!). Half way up the motorway my dad had to pull over onto the hard shoulder and we had to quickly find another box for one more hamster after I shouted out "mum, I think I mis-sexed one" cos one of the "females" was shagging one of the others! That made for a fun trip.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    i wish i could claim this but one of my frat brother's holidays can be summed up in a facebook status:

'granddad just told my aunt she's too old to be looking for love...let the fighting begin'
  • Iamfit4life
    Options
    i wish i could claim this but one of my frat brother's holidays can be summed up in a facebook status:

'granddad just told my aunt she's too old to be looking for love...let the fighting begin'
    lmao

that's classic
  • Iamfit4life
    Options
    also the time my grandmothers creepy boyfriend got her a shirt that said "horny little devil" for christmas and she wore it all Christmas day.

Which, my parents hated but dealt with.

Until a 10 year old me asks "why don't you like that shirt, what does horny little devil mean"
  • coloradocuppiecake
    Options
    A couple of years ago my boyfriend and I went to a friend's house for Thanksgiving. This was after much begging and
    pleading on her part. She had new roommates and they wanted to go all out with tons of food. Now I had known her
    for years and hadnt seen her make more than top ramen. So we go over about 6pm. The drinks are flowing and she
    had out one thing of dip and some chips. Funny thing, I didnt smell any turkey cooking. They showed me the pies
    and a couple of side dishes to be heated and cooked. So I figure she had it all under control. We played games and talked
    and a couple of hours go by. I finally asked her did she check the turkey. Her answer was no, the turkey isnt in the oven yet.
    What do you mean it's not in the oven? Well it only takes a couple of hours. Did you get the already cooked one? No. Its raw.
    How many pounds is it? Ummm like 20. Omg. it takes at least 5 hrs. Really? Yes really. Well that sucks. And so went the
    conversation. By now it was creeping up on 11pm. No food, not even sides. We finally left and went home and had balloney
    sandwiches. Note to self after that was, if you are invited to a holiday dinner make sure they can cook.
  • christinad95
    christinad95 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Well, back in 2007 my husband (who was only 30 at the time) had to have emergency surgery to have a pace maker put in. The plan was to have him home for Christmas but the surgeon couldn't do the surgery until Christmas Eve, which made for an interesting week in the hospital because they couldn't let him go home under the circumstances. So....a friend of mine picked me up and took me to do some Christmas shopping, where I then took what few gifts I could afford for my children (see with him being in and out of the hospital since October, getting some shopping in was hard and the night he was admitted again, I had left without my purse and only had about $100 cash on me) so I wrapped the gifts in his hospital room. That was an interesting sight considering the only table I had was the little tray-like table that hospitals have. I couldn't go into the family or waiting room to wrap because there were children on the cardiac unit that day and I didn't want to ruin the Santa secret for them. So naturally we had a good laugh over me getting so aggrivated that I actually chucked the roll of wrapping paper out the window, (yes, at Ellis hospital you can still open the windows) and had to call my friend to bring me some more. The next day was Christmas Eve, surgery day. They put a Santa hat on my husband and wheeled him into the operating room. At this point my brother was there because after the surgery he was going to take me home and my other brother was going to come get my husband and bring him home on Christmas. So a couple of hours later they tell me that the surgery is completed successfully and they are bringing him from obs to his room. My brother and I go out to find my husband still wearing a santa hat, covered in tons of blankets singing Santa Clause is Coming to Town. I all but wet myself laughing over that. I had to work 8-12 Christmas morning so my brother and I left when my other brother got there. The next morning I went to work and while I was at work EVERY individual in our family, on my side, was at my house by 9am waiting for Steve to get home. By the time he got home at 2 in the afternoon, he was already so exhausted, but the pain meds they gave him made the whole day interesting. The whole time he thought he was thinking to himself, he was talking out loud! My best friend's girlfriend now knows that she's the only person who can mess up mashed potatoes, my brother's wife now knows that if she learned how to cook from her mother then there's no hope, and a friend of mine that is like family is now learning how to use salt properly so she's not accused of trying to kill everyone with her gravy and as my husband made his way to the couch to try and lay down, EVERYONE heard him say that there's still hope for this day as long as everyone goes home. (holds head in hands) I'm so glad they were all understanding and knew he was on some pretty heavy pain medication.
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    When my brother went into the military we were finally able to stand each other and he called me before he got to come home on leave and conned me into telling him everything that my parents got him for christmas....

So on christmas day when we opened up the presents.......before he would unwrap it he would guess exactly what the gift was and the color....and of course he was right every time because i told him what they all were....after a couple of gifts my mom caught on to what was going on and boy did i get into big trouble....:grumble: Gee.....after living with him for 17 years you think i would have saw that coming :laugh: