Weight loss around the middle

Options
has anyone struggled to lose weight of the stomach area? i seem to be losing it massively from everywhere apart from there. i have lost a bit from that area but i kind of feel slim with a big stomach? anyone got any tips or advice would be great to hear from you :)

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz said to cut carbs to cut belly fat. Good luck.:drinker:

Not no carb, lower carb
  • luvnlife6
    luvnlife6 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For me I stopped drinking beer and wear a sweat belt when I work out.
  • mrsweigl
    mrsweigl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem, but no carbs for me is a killer!
  • fitnatic67
    Options
    If you are a soda drinker, try substituting flavored water
  • beckywilkeherbst
    beckywilkeherbst Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Flavored water try the Mio line!
  • embeck79
    embeck79 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem, but no carbs for me is a killer!

yes agree there no carbs is a definate killer, i find i get the wobbles if i dont eat carbs :/
  • Amber_Kunkel
    Options
    I started loosing weight in the stomach area when I started doing more cardio.
  • tmtolbert
    tmtolbert Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i have always heard that the stomach area is strictly diet, and so far that has proven true for me. the better i eat the flatter my stomach gets even if I am not working out. and on the other hand i can workout 7 days a week, but if my eating sucks than my stomach area will be large and not flat!
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I have a pretty small frame and then this nice potbelly. Very frustrating. I just figure it's a stubborn area and slow process, so I've just been doing what I'm doing - eating healthy, drinking lots of water, cardio and strength training. Those things make me FEEL good so maybe eventually my potbelly will succumb.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    has anyone struggled to lose weight of the stomach area? i seem to be losing it massively from everywhere apart from there. i have lost a bit from that area but i kind of feel slim with a big stomach? anyone got any tips or advice would be great to hear from you :)

You can't spot reduce, so just continue with your weightloss and it will eventually go away
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i have always heard that the stomach area is strictly diet, and so far that has proven true for me. the better i eat the flatter my stomach gets even if I am not working out. and on the other hand i can workout 7 days a week, but if my eating sucks than my stomach area will be large and not flat!
    This goes the same for me. I have noticed though that all those weight loss people that say cardio and diet is the right thing - it rings completely true!
  • Motivationrequired
    Options
    I have the same problem but things like bread, pasta AND yoghurt really bloat me so I tend to steer clear
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

You can't spot reduce, so just continue with your weightloss and it will eventually go away

this. my stomach was the last place to go. be patient!
  • lizgreenhill
    Options
    losing weight in the stomach area is the last place i will lose it and the last place i gain it. ( which is weird) I have a hard time as well losing weight in my stomach, bu Eating less carbs and sugary foods will help with the stomach area and doing some stomach workouts may help too. Good luck
  • Kamibuys
    Options
    Muscle burns fat. So if you have been doing alot of abs, you are creating muscle under you fat which could make you look like you aren't loosing any weight from that area... when in fact you are just building muscle.. The belly is always the hardest part, keet your cardio up and keep building muscle!!!:happy:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

this. my stomach was the last place to go. be patient!

Same here...mine isn't gone yet, but its the first place I gain, so I'm sure it will be the last place I lose as well! Its definitely gone down a lot here as I get close to my goal weight.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's genetic, there's nothing you can actually do differently. Where you gain and lose fat from is strictly genetic, you can't trick your body into losing stomach fat. It goes when it goes, which for most people is last.
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    google flat belly diet. i don't follow the diet but those are the only fats i allow in my diet. even when not watching calories, just by working those foods in during the day, it keeps my belly fat down.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I would not want to contradict Dr. Oz, but...

What little reading/research I have done says basically that fat goes away in the reverse order that it was added. In Accounting terms this is called LIFO (Last in , First Out). So there is no real way to reduce body fat in any specific area with any mix diet and exercise. Instead as you continue to exercise regularly (specifically cardio workouts) and maintain a healthy diet. The excess weight (fat) will go away in a natural progression.

Note that reducing fat and increasing lean muscle mass are two different things! You can increase lean muscle mass and strength by training specific sets of muscles. However, I can say for a fact, that no amount of sit-ups (or any abdominal exercise) will reduce belly fat!

I have not studied this extensively, but the transition I have seen in my own body as I lose weight seems to support this hypothesis. I have lost fat in order from my face & neck, arms, legs, butt, flanks (love handles). I am now working on a stubborn lower tummy section that I am sure includes not only fat but some excess skin that I am told could take up to 2 years to diminish.

Best of luck in your ongoing journey!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you carry most of your weight in your belly, it will be the first place you gain and the last place you lose and there isn't much you can do about that.

Just keep eating right and do cardio and it will come off eventually.

There is some research that shows whole grains and healthy fats (the omegas) target belly fat, so maybe incorporate those into your diet. Two teaspoons of oil a day is enough. Canola, flax, olive and a couple others.