Anyone else work from home?

Options
I work remote for a company, so aside from occassional travel, I'm in my home office. This presents a lot of challenges with having the kitchen so close by. Does anyone else deal with this, and what tips do you have?

Replies

• SugarBearRetired
    SugarBearRetired Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I work remote for a company, so aside from occassional travel, I'm in my home office. This presents a lot of challenges with having the kitchen so close by. Does anyone else deal with this, and what tips do you have?
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I work from home several days per week, depending on how busy I am .
    I have been keeping my kitchen fairly cleared of"bad"foods and along with all my work stuff, my "home office" includes a Total Gym. Whenever I get bored or have some extra time I do a few sets on the Total Gym and that takes my mind off of food! Then I grab a bottle of water and that helps as well.
  • melissac
    melissac Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do not work from home yet but on December 15 are new home will be finished and ready for us to move in. our buiness is in the backyard 10 feet away. I am a little nervous about going back to work not having time to be with kids keep up the house work and find time to excersise. My only bonus is there is a brand new gym across the street and since i work for my husband i should be able to sneak away an hour a day, but the down fall is the business orders in lunch everyday. It is a samll town we are moving too and my husband feels that local business owners should support other business in the community hence ordering in lunch!!!!! it is gonna be real hard to watch everyone eat burgers etc while I eat salad!
  • fessler
    fessler Posts: 23
    Options
    Try to include some 10 minute segments throughout your day where you slip in activity. Especially, consider one of these activity bursts before you succumb to the kitchen...if you do still cave after your 'bout of movement...the indulgement will be less detrimental.

I am a trainer and live in my car or office...I fight temptation every day!

Good luck!
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I work from home and it's so hard to resist! I have a few tricks... I always try to get up and do a few housework things when I start to think about food. I'll hustle through the dishes or vacuum or change the sheets or something where I can occupy my time. Another good trick is to have lots of low cal snacks around- carrots, pickles, 100 cal popcorn, etc. I'm a big snacker and the longer it takes me to eat something the more satisfied I am. I drink tons of Crystal Light, too. Oh... and the one trick that I rely on the most is sugar free gum. I buy several different flavors and it can satisfy a craving pretty quickly.
    Good luck, keep up the fight!
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I work totally remote now, but for most of my time with my Co I've been in the office a day or two each week. I'm not one for making lunches, so I always took prepared foods like frozen dinners, granola bars, etc. And lots of it, yet by the time I got home I would be famished and pounce on the potato chips while I waited for dinner to cook.

Conversely, I find it easier to discipline at home and I can plan and have breakfast and healthy meals all day in portions I want to eat, not in sizes pre- prepared for me.
  • melissac
    melissac Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking you might try pre cutting some veggies and fruits up so when you do get a craving you have pre-made healthy snacks to munch on instead grabbibing the other easy stuff....junk!
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I also work from home but I've got just the opposite problem..........when I get really immersed in something, I tend to go off into an alternate dimension and unless I set an alarm or have some kind of other reminder, I may come back to planet earth several hours later and find that I worked through lunch and sometimes dinner and of course, am so hungry that I'm liable to leave gnaw marks on the desk and whatever I can grab hold of first goes in the mouth. Hubby is a software designer so my computer has all sorts of handy-dandy-little-prototypes-that-he-designed gadgets on it, including little bells and whistles set to remind me to periodically come back to earth and take care of things like eating when I'm supposed to, taking meds, exercise....stuff like that.
  • 2bskinnymama
    Options
    Sugarbear - Go to the gym during lunch, then grab something from your kitchen before heading back to work!
  • cwdelaney
    cwdelaney Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also work from home. I just have a protein shake at lunch and try to have high protein low calorie snacks like hard boiled eggs or hummus and veggies or apples and almond butter for snacks during the day. I'm also doing little 5-10 minute workouts mid-afternoon to keep my energy and focus up. I'm only 5 weeks in and I feel better and I'm definitely less tempted to grab junk. Also, I just don't have junk in the house. .at all. Good luck!
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I follow a schedule: snack at 10, lunch at 12, snack at 3, nothing but water, tea or coffee any other time of the day. It's not that hard--have been WFH for years. What IS hard is travel. That is much harder!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My desk is literally 3 ft from the kitchen and I was able to lose 150 lbs. It's all a matter of mindset and focus IMO. There is always food around. If you worked in an office, you would be faced with even more unwanted food choices in the break room, group meals, etc.
    Log your food, prelogging is helpful for many.
    Don't keep food in the house you don't want to eat. If you must keep it for others, keep it in a separate cabinet OUT OF SIGHT, or a different part of the frig.
    Keep motivational quotes and pics all around your desk/computer and frig.
    Get up for frequent breaks and stretches and walks.
    Drink water and hot tea when you feel hungry.
    Experiment with the timing of meals and snacks to see what works best for you.
    Make sure your getting enough protein and fat for satiety.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I work from home half the time. I actually find the days I work from home easier to eat right because I buy the groceries and control what is there 100%. At my office there are candy bowls, flavored creamers, and if I forget lunch a Taqueria next door.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Yes work at home

pre-logging and only eating what gets logged
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I work from home 2-3 days a week when not traveling. Like others said, I actually find it easier to eat right at home. I prelog and, because I'm home, I have a lot of low calorie options and can usually eat a higher volume of food.

One thing I do is push everything back though. I eat breakfast and lunch a bit later, and I find that helps me not get too hungry. I'm not sure why but it works for me. Exercise is a lot more challenging from home. At work, I can just go take a walk in beautiful downtown Chicago, but at home i have to get dressed (usually stay in my pjs), brush my hair, etc and i get lazy.
  • kevinkehres7
    kevinkehres7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    12 years for me. I limit my eating to set times, in the dining room. Never the office. That’s where I work, not where I eat.