Everyone seems to be struggling

Options
It seems over the past couple of weeks that a number of people on my friends list have been struggling, me included. These aren't just people who log in for 10 days and then you don't see them for 2 weeks. These aren't people who only haphazardly keep their diary or work out once a week. These are people who are in it for good. I am one of those people. However, over the past couple of weeks I have found it increasingly difficult to fight the good fight.

I'm wondering why this is ... is it the time change? The fact that an incredibly busy time of the year is here (I don't know about ya'all but my year is always busy .. 3 kids, full time job, etc. etc ... It's hard to find a time of year when things aren't crazy anymore). A domino effect?

I took 3 days off of MFP ... well I didn't log or exercise ... I feel better about it today and I'm hoping that I'm back to kicking *kitten* like usual. I just find it odd that it seems everyone is struggling so much around the same time.

Replies

• Kimbers70
    Kimbers70 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think it has much to do with the time change, the weather change and perhaps even the looming holiday season.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I know near me (Maine) the change of season = flu season and a lot of people are sick and so routines are being altered. I know, as much as it did go down on the scale, I am sure I will gain some back when I start working out again. I have been sick for over a week but I am so done with being sick I am going to run today.
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    The time change is killing me. It is totally zapping my energy. It is up to us and our commitment to ourselves to push through. Some days it seems so tough though.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Logging and tracking does become tedious and it wears on the mind. Its very hard to maintain for months, and then for some people....years already..... Kudos to them for continuing to do it. We all need a kick in the pants from a friend once in awhile to remind us why we are here. I hope in a year I am still here.
  • jmcholden
    jmcholden Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling too. It must be the change of seasons.

My husband brought home pizza the other day.

All we wanna do is bake cookies and eat them!

Must be strong!!!!! (feel very weak) MUST be strong!!!
  • melindenmark
    melindenmark Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i live in Denmark, and i am finding really hard at the moment. I think its because it gets dark so early (more dark hours then light) and it is also sooooo cold. Doesn't help that im really busy right now also. They are just a few reasons on why its a little hard for me at the moment.
    My motivation to keep fighting is that i am travelling back home to New Zealand next year, i and want to look good and be nice and fit when i make it home :D!
  • Shakila87
    Options
    I'm so tired. Single mother with 2 kids football seson just ended and soon basketball will begin. Working fulltime trying to go to the gym after work then go home to cook, clean, get kids ready for the next day it is not easy I'm drained by 9:30pm but I'm just going to remain positive and remember why I'm doing what I'm doing. To be fit, healthy, full of life and energy and most of all SEXY lol!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Through our physiology, late fall and winter our bodies will lean to burning less energy. Why? Because it hasn't changed in thousands of years. Like other animals, the body anticipates winter and will regulate differently because way way way back, food was scarce during the winter. It's not uncommon, but you can still lose if you're consistent with your program during this time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hart310
    Options
    Well said and thank you! I have been struggling the last three days, not sure why, but determined to get back to business of taking care of me. Congratulations on your accomplishments and remember to take it one day at a time.
  • jvan1957
    jvan1957 Posts: 114
    Options
    Then on the other hand, I am disabled and stay at home so this time change hasn't realy bothered me. But of my 4 weeks on MFP I lost 5 pounds in the first two weeks and zero pounds these last two.
  • NickyCat101
    Options
    The holidays do it to me. The thought of all that holiday food, cookies, and other treats make me want them more. I am trying to find recipes for treats I love that are less fattening/carby. It is very difficult though. Everyone seems to push food in the spirit of things and it is hard to say no.

My highest weight was this January, when I weighed almost 260. I gained 30 pounds over the holidays!! This season I am avoiding my favorite cookies and trying to limit how much I eat of something. My mother is big on the food at Christmas. She bought my brother these HUGE peanut butter cups.

Hopefully I have self control this year.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling since September and have put on 8lbs. I suffer from Seasonal Adjustment Disorder which can cause tiredness, depression and weight gain (due to stodge cravings). I always get like this between September and New Year, but I really want to get the 8lb back off before a masquerade ball on New years Eve. I am hoping today is the start of my renewed efforts; but I could quite easily eat the contents of the biscuit/cookie tin.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Life happens lol This is a busy time of year for some and like you mentioned you are not alone. However these are the times that makes us stronger. We fight through our struggle to keep focus on us. If we fall, we get back up and celebrate the accomplishment. I went through my short hiatus and luckily I was able to maintain my weight loss during that time never allowing myself to gain more than 10lbs without losing it again. I didn't beat myself up. I just had to readjust and let life know that I was still in control. I know you know at times it won't be easy but when you overcome this hurdle take time to reflect on the brief storm you were able to ride out and give yourself a pat on the back for holding on. Though we may not be able to see it now during our struggles we are constantly in a tug of war and as long as you are in the game....you are still winning.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Guess seasonal changes as you guys approach winter it will get harder to lose
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Through our physiology, late fall and winter our bodies will lean to burning less energy. Why? Because it hasn't changed in thousands of years. Like other animals, the body anticipates winter and will regulate differently because way way way back, food was scarce during the winter. It's not uncommon, but you can still lose if you're consistent with your program during this time.

Interesting.

I like damn near every one of your posts niner, but I'm going to challenge this one =)

IMO: Winter = lower NEAT (people don't move as much) = lower TDEE.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It's only natural to store for the winter.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning before work, so this time change actually helps me there, but the colder weather and getting dark earlier makes me want warm, "comfort food" for dinners, and its harder to resist the heavier foods.

There's always going to be some challenge (or excuse to eat) though, and staying on track sometimes can just get boring. With the holidays looming (and all the crap food we'll be faced with), its a great time to work on learning to enforce the good habits and resist the bad!
  • flawedandfabulous
    Options
    I agree that I think it is the time of year. I think it is biologically ingrained in men and women. A woman's body is in a constant state of preparedness for pregnancy which is why it is harder for us to lose then men. Then I am taking a wild guess that as winter approaches way back to the dawn of man and even animals our bodies prepare for the famine of winter. So our bodies may be stockpiling for the lean months. I don't know I am just throwing that thought out there.
  • EmsyB78
    EmsyB78 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    you've echoed my thoughts exactly (hence my blog today and writing on someone else's post about a plateau!)... I feel like I'm in a real slump...yet because I'm totally aware of it and have not been able to exercise the last fortnight I'm actually eager to get going again. I DEFINITELY think it's the time of the year...I bet in a previous life I was an creature of hibernation!! I've decided to increase my exercise and change it a bit so I'm not doing the same and this week we're mostly eating fish for tea (after hubby left the frozen fillets out of the freezer!!) so at least its quite healthy! Hopefully I can get back into a good habit before crimbo!!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm actually doing pretty well right now. However, I've been doing this for a couple of years. There are times when the focus is lazer sharp. Times that I'm so-so, and times that I'm not even trying (I was in one of those up until a few weeks ago) It goes in cycles I guess.

If this is in fact a lifestyle, "focused times" should outweigh the "not so focused times" and you will acheive overall good health.