Chesty Cough!!

Options
Does anyone have any top tips or a sure fire cough medicine to get rid of a chesty cough - usually Benylin works for me but does not seem to be touching it - have had this cough for three weeks now and it is seriously getting in the way of my swimming!! Need to shift it this week without fail. I don't think it is a chest infection so I don't really want to bother the doctor!

Replies

• bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    tea with honey helps calm mine down for a few minutes of relief, but I don't know about permanently. I was barking like a seal yesterday with bouts of larengitis (I can't spell that word to save my life). Have had something on and off for two weeks - it seems to be going around, sorry :(
  • Cgsmith49
    Options
    Steam from a shower or the old steaming bowl with towel over your head. Tea with honey, Metamucil works wonders. My sister has high blood pressure and she can't take this so she takes Robutussin. Keep a vaporizor or humidifier on. Hope you feel better soon.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Sudafed do a cough syrup. I found it great for loosening the chest. At night I have lemon, honey hot water and brandy. It knocks you out and you get a good sleep. :drinker:
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Mucinex DM
    hot liquids - keep throat lubricated ( charms/losenges)
  • jobster68
    Options
    Cheers everyone - might visit the chemist on my way home from work as well and see if they can recommend anything! Failing that I am just gonna go and go swimming - kill or cure I feel! :frown:
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    sleep with a vaporizer or humidifier in your room at night
  • coloradocuppiecake
    Options
    It's strange but it works. Before bed put a good ammount of Vicks rub on the bottom of your feet and then put socks on.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any top tips or a sure fire cough medicine to get rid of a chesty cough - usually Benylin works for me but does not seem to be touching it - have had this cough for three weeks now and it is seriously getting in the way of my swimming!! Need to shift it this week without fail. I don't think it is a chest infection so I don't really want to bother the doctor!

Want me to come over and rub Vicks on your chest?
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

Want me to come over and rub Vicks on your chest?

Haha! <3 this!