Advice/Suggestion on Workout Routine

Options
We just got a brand new weight room/ work out room in our fire station for the firefighters and their families. I am a beginner and looking for some input on a workout routine for loosing weight and toning. I have no idea where to begin. How many reps and sets for weight lifting. How much weight to use and when to increase. How many minutes to work out and how many times a week. Is there someone out there that is good at or likes to put together workout plans. Also calorie intake.

The following is what we have to offer:
Treadmill
Elliptical
Stationary Bike
3- different size work out balls
push ups bars
Several different workout DVD'S
Complete weight bench that does everything. Work legs, arms, abds. Weights ranging from 2.5 pounds to 300.

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    If you want mass you go heavy and slow low reps.
    For instance...
    Day1
    Triceps, Shoulders
    Tricep extensions 15lb 8reps 4sets 2seconds up 2seconds down or 2,0,2
    Overhead tricep extensions 15lb 8reps 4sets 2,0,2

Shoulders
    Arnold presses 30lb 8reps 4sets 2,0,2
    Shoulder presses 30lb 8reps 4sets 2,0,2

Yay for day 1!

Day 2
    Biceps, chest, back

Day3
    Abs, lowerbody

Day4
    Pure cardio no weights

Cool?

for Strength and Endurance go lighter weights with a 12-15 rep 4sets faster pace.
  • neonemesis
    neonemesis Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    A place I started was with Mike Changs Fitness Blog there is a ton of very informative information. you don't have to buy the program I haven't I just use the you tube videos. Good place to start for a total body workout is the top Video it used to be on his youtube channel but got removed. someone else reposted it. The second video is my personal favourite intense cardio for only 5 minutes workout I tack this on to the end of my Weights Workout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TVs3cB2gls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdBch3Jazhw&feature=channel_video_title
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If you want mass you go heavy and slow low reps.
    For instance...
    Day1
    Triceps, Shoulders
    Tricep extensions 15lb 8reps 4sets 2seconds up 2seconds down or 2,0,2
    Overhead tricep extensions 15lb 8reps 4sets 2,0,2

Shoulders
    Arnold presses 30lb 8reps 4sets 2,0,2
    Shoulder presses 30lb 8reps 4sets 2,0,2

Hi there - I like this advice so am giving it my "two thumbs up". Take it easy, alternate the machines every other day, and slowly ramp it up. Good luck!
    Yay for day 1!

Day 2
    Biceps, chest, back

Day3
    Abs, lowerbody

Day4
    Pure cardio no weights

Cool?

for Strength and Endurance go lighter weights with a 12-15 rep 4sets faster pace.
  • jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Looking at endurance and strength with weight loss. I am a beginner and work as an EMT so I am trying to avoid being sore for days. As I do a lot a lifting for my job. I still want to get a workout in and include weight lifting. Thanks 4 the replies