Fat??

Options
I was lookin at my fat in take. I don't eat that much fat. I am a vegetarian i eat alot of fruit and veggies. I was wondering if not eating alot of fat will keep me from losing weight???? :huh:

Replies

• naner
    naner Posts: 110
    Options
    I was lookin at my fat in take. I don't eat that much fat. I am a vegetarian i eat alot of fruit and veggies. I was wondering if not eating alot of fat will keep me from losing weight???? :huh:
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    Research has shown that, on average, people who follow a vegetarian diet eat fewer calories and less fat than do nonvegetarians. Vegetarians also tend to have lower body weight relative to their height than do nonvegetarians. This makes sense, since a diet that largely consists of fruits and vegetables generally has fewer calories. However, switching to a vegetarian diet doesn't guarantee weight loss.

The basics of achieving and maintaining a healthy weight are the same for everyone: Eat a healthy diet and balance calories eaten with calories burned. Vegetarians — like nonvegetarians — can make poor food choices that contribute to weight gain, such as large portions of high-fat, high-calorie foods or foods with little or no nutritional value.

For this reason, vegetarian diets should be as carefully planned as nonvegetarian diets to make sure they are nutritionally balanced. Choose a vegetarian eating plan that is low in fat and that provides all of the nutrients your body needs. Be sure to include protein-rich foods — especially if you follow a vegetarian diet that limits fish, eggs and dairy products. Not only is protein an essential nutrient, but also it helps you feel full longer — which can curb your urge to snack.

But be cautious about your protein sources. Substituting large quantities of full-fat cheese and peanut butter for meat will add a significant amount of fat and calories to your diet. Limit your portions of these high-fat proteins. Opt for low-fat protein sources, such as dried beans, low-fat cheese, reduced-fat peanut butter and soy products.

Cooking methods and condiments also factor into your calorie intake. Instead of frying, try steaming, boiling, grilling or roasting foods. If you stir-fry, reduce the amount of oil you use. Also, use smaller amounts — or lower fat versions — of sour cream, mayonnaise, cheese and salad dressing in your food preparation
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options

Your body needs some fat to be able to absorb all the nutrients from food. But it doesn't have to be animal fats. Add a little olive oil to your cooking, or toss some nuts or avocado into your salad if you are worried about your fat content being too low.
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    in what way does being vegetarian mean that you don't eat fats?! i am vegetarian and almost a vegan now and i am always over in my fats because of it. i eat nuts for the good protein and other macro elements they contain but they also have a lot of fat in them. i also never skip the olive oil in my salad. these 2 examples alone are enough to get over in fats on any given day, a tablespoon of olive oil is 14 grams fat, 1 oz of cashews is 12 grams and my daily allowance is 46 grams of fat... it's so easy to fullfil your fats allowance and if you can't, then it means you are ignoring many foods that are VERY GOOD for you! i used to do this to lose weight in the past and i don't think it makes it harder to lose but i definitely felt a lot worse, a woman needs to consume fats for her body to function normally, so if you are substancially under your daily needs try to up your intake with some healthy fats!
  • naner
    Options
    in what way does being vegetarian mean that you don't eat fats?! i am vegetarian and almost a vegan now and i am always over in my fats because of it. i eat nuts for the good protein and other macro elements they contain but they also have a lot of fat in them. i also never skip the olive oil in my salad. these 2 examples alone are enough to get over in fats on any given day, a tablespoon of olive oil is 14 grams fat, 1 oz of cashews is 12 grams and my daily allowance is 46 grams of fat... it's so easy to fullfil your fats allowance and if you can't, then it means you are ignoring many foods that are VERY GOOD for you! i used to do this to lose weight in the past and i don't think it makes it harder to lose but i definitely felt a lot worse, a woman needs to consume fats for her body to function normally, so if you are substancially under your daily needs try to up your intake with some healthy fats!

I haven't been eating nuts, but i did buy some today i will start eating them once a day. nuts have good fat right???mfp said i should have 60 grams of fat. i do alot of walking and i ride a bike i burn about 700 cals a day.
  • naner
    Options
    thanks for the great info everyone!:smile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    yep, nuts are good fats. also try peanut butter, avacado, olive oil (mentioned in another post as well), seeds and dairy products. Fat has many important functions in your body so make sure you're getting enough of it :flowerforyou:
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I haven't been eating nuts, but i did buy some today i will start eating them once a day. nuts have good fat right???mfp said i should have 60 grams of fat. i do alot of walking and i ride a bike i burn about 700 cals a day.

yes, nuts are full of omegas that your body needs, i think these fats actually help burn the bad fats your body has stored. i have set my profile to lightly active and it allows me 46 grams per day, it gets up to about 60 like yours with excercise but on many days i will go over 60 as well. i am losing weight every week and i haven't noticed this to be a problem at all, i really feel that i need my fats and that they are doing me good. if i happen to plateau or something i may watch them more but so far it's been all good.

try to eat all nuts raw cos roasting them kills a lot of the enzymes. i use the sweeter kinds of nuts in raw cakes or sweets and 'saltier' kinds like pistachios or pine nuts in salads and meals, they can be a great substitute to all this unhealthy processed stuff we were once used to and actually give a very special yummy twist to any dish you put them in :heart: