Treadmill

Options
I am curious about treadmill walking. I recently started walking on the treadmill and I love it being able to see how many miles I walk and how fast. Now the my question is, Is it the same or better then just walking on the street?? Can anyone help me?? :tongue:

Replies

• krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I prefer the street for factors that you cannot recreate on a treadmill, such as wind, terrain, having to propel yourself forward rather than a belt, and scenery.
  • luvbwfc
    luvbwfc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    'better; is subjective, it depends on your goals. Walking on a treadmill will mean you know exactly what speed you are doing, and have to maintain it. When you get tired walking on the street you may slow down a little without realising. If you mean in terms of benefits, I think walking a mile is walking a mile whether on a treadmill or not.
  • ginandtonica
    ginandtonica Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My friends trainer just told her to stop running on the treadmill and use the track at our gym instead because the treadmill "helps" you walk or run and that makes it easier, and less of a workout.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I normally run on the treadmill but on Friday, we did a 5k. Afterwards, my allergies were beating my face in. I think I'll stick to the treadmill most of the time. I keep my treadmill at an incline of 2.5 or more all the time to make it a little harder. I think it helps because I ran my 5k in a faster time than I've ever been able to do it on the treadmill. Oh and also, the treadmill seems to be easier on the joints.
  • artimease
    artimease Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do both, I am currently training for my first half marathon that will b in march 2012 and I have enjoyed both the treadmil and outside. Walking outside seems to be a little harder on breathing but I enjoy breathing the fresh air. The treadmill I can adjust and push myself harder because I can see the minutes and the calories burned which motivates me. Also, on the treadmil I hold on alot where as on the streets I pump my arms the entire time which is great for the heart rate and burning additional calories.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    If the treadmill motivates you to workout more often and harder, then it's better than walking outside. Seeing your distance and speed sounds like it does motivate you. Plus, you can control the incline and walking on a steep incline engages the muscles more.

On the other hand, walking outside on a sunny day has health benefits too such as getting vitamin D; which many people are sorely lacking. Try to find some hills to walk up.
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    I prefer outside but I do both due to winter weather. My husband prefers the treadmill and only runs outside when practicing for a race. There are pros and cons to both. I know when I was heavier running outside used to give my shin splints that hurt pretty bad, but the trealmill never did. Now I can run outside pushing over 100lbs (my 2 boys and the stroller) and have no problems running 3-4 miles.

Bottom line is if you prefer the treadmill I think you should use it. As long as you're working out and staying within your cals you'll be fine in my opinion.
  • BlJohnston77
    BlJohnston77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I love to walk outside as well but its getting to cold. I will continue to do both as long as the weather allows me to walk outside. I really like to be outside especially this time of the year when the leaves are changing color so pretty!!!!
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I read something recently that said if you were going to walk/run on a treadmill, set the incline to at least 1.0 to help compensate for wind, etc.
  • Jmayhem69
    Options
    My friends trainer just told her to stop running on the treadmill and use the track at our gym instead because the treadmill "helps" you walk or run and that makes it easier, and less of a workout.

He may be right if you look at the exercise from a toning/strength view.....however, if you use a HRM and maintain your workout within your target heart rate range from a cardio aspect the the mill if equally effective.