What did you do

Options
I'm interested to ask how everyone has achived there weight loss.
so can i ask how was it that you lost the weight that you have?
did you follow any particular diet?
did you reduce carbohydrate? fat? Calories?
did you excercise
did you lift weights etc.
just trying to get a discussion going to see what has worked for different people.
I'd rather not turn this into a debate , with people arguing about what works works best but just what has worked for you.

Replies

• ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I originally lost the weight and got in shape following Body For Life. Eventually switched to Crossfit and a semi-Paleo diet.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    so can i ask how was it that you lost the weight that you have? reducing my caloric intake
    did you follow any particular diet? kind of - I tried out a few different eating plans as 'test' but now I am just trying to eat as much food as possible that does not come out of a box or a bag, but rather from a tree, animal, or the ground.
    did you reduce carbohydrate? fat? Calories? calories
    did you excercise? yes
    did you lift weights etc. ? I have bands and some light weights that I use.

For me, what has worked best is getting my mind into the game first rather than focusing on the numbers. I have been working on changin how I feel about food and how I use food in my life instead of just focusing on losing the weight.
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    I did P90X without the nurition plan, had great results and then took a longer than normal break. got back into it with Turbofire and I am 6 pounds away from my goal now. i was on a 1200 caloire diet until i plateaued and then increased to 1400, then to 1600, and that seems to be working for me. everytime i increase, i start losing. i do not eat my exercise caloires back.....unless i burn like 2000 that day, then i will try to eat 500-800 more. seems to be working. but no pills, no fad diets, no crazy-restrictive eating. i still "cheat" and i still get results.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Just stuck within the limits for a few months, exercised when i was over and thats about it.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I actually ate MORE! The problem I had was that I was not eating enough. I keep my MFP target numbers in the GREEN by eating a well balanced diet. Feel free to view my diary.

As far as exercise is concerned, I took up Kickboxing. I trained with a professional kickboxer three day a week. I also invested in an ellipitcal machine for my home. The trouble I was having with exercise was that I had a long commute home and by the time I got to the gym it was super busy and I got discouraged from going to exercise. I realized that the main thing I was going to the gym for was to use the elliptical so I bought one that way I have no excuse not to exercise and I could use it any time of the day for as long as I want (the gym had a 20 minute limit) I also like to hike and bike ride. I like to mix it up so that my body doesn't get used to the same thing. I also have a variety of workout DVDs at home like cardio kickboxing, aerobics and weight sculpting.

This time around I decided I was gonna take it slow and it has paid off! I have lost 29 pounds and have dropped 4 dress sizes (I've lot more inches than weight because I have developed muscle mass with the kickboxing) and I look and feel great. Good luck to you!
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    Like most parents my excuse was finding time was impossible. When I was given a double jogging stroller I figured I couldn't use that excuse anymore since I now had the ability to take workout with my kids.

I obviously did a lot of cardio, I joined a mommy fitness class and did that 1-2 days a week and I also did the 30DS and Ripped in 30. I haven't quite met my goal yet, but I'm 17lbs away as opposed to 55 less than a year ago.

I eat whatever I want, but I do watch my calories that's why I joined this site and 6 days a week I stay below 1,500 cals and the 7th day I eat the whole 2,000 cals.
  • fastmethod
    fastmethod Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I originally lost the weight and got in shape following Body For Life. Eventually switched to Crossfit and a semi-Paleo diet.

Hi there
    I've got to say I've tried a paleo type diet and I've never felt better, fat loss was slow though and Platued pretty quickly.
    however i didnt get any fatter on it, and i felt like super man in the gym,
    I think when i loose the fat ill probably switch to a paleo type deal to keep it off
  • NYirish75
    Options
    For me, I was having trouble in so many aspects in my life that I decided to go to the Dr. for help. Long story short, I had sleep apnea, high BP, low testosterone, high cholesterol, and was diabetic. I was at high risk for heart disease, and I was scarred.

I went extreme. I went cold turkey. I drank only water or skim milk, increased my fruit and veg intake and really paid attention to the nutrition labels. About a week into it, I sorta went into a withdraw. I felt like I had the flu. But after two days of that, I really stated to feel better than I had in a long time.

Within about 5-6 weeks, I was sleeping great, felt great and was much happier. Plus, I noticed a difference on the scale and with the tape measure.

When I went back to my Dr. in Sept. I found out that my cholesterol was higher. So now, I've cut out meat and dairy (not entirely) and the weight is really starting to fall off.

So, it all started with my Dr. He was able to advise me on what I needed to do, and what I needed to change. It made things easier.

GOOD LUCK!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I logged all my food on MFP, exercised & (most of the time) stayed within my calorie goals. Upped the fibre a bit cos my system's a bit sluggish & drank more water. Although I log

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks....may not work for all.......worked for me - down 20lbs & just under goal.

Sue :smile: x
  • ETC80
    ETC80 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    did you follow any particular diet?

-No, I FINALLY began counting calories and eating reasonable portions (with the help of this site). I wasn't particularly overweight, but I was still eating like a 20-something year old athelete, where I'm now a 30-somthing non-athelete.

did you reduce carbohydrate? fat? Calories?

-I focused on eating unprocessed foods (as "clean" as possible), reducing calories to where I had about a 500-calorie deficit from what I burn during my normal activities. I focused on eating mainly veggies, fruits, and lean proteins. I allowed myself the occasional indulgence in alcohol or decadent food a few times a month.

did you excercise

-Yes. Exercise was never the problem for me...diet was my Achilles's heel. I tried to burn at least 500 calories each day from cardio...usually walking, cycling, or yoga...enjoyable cardio (for me).

did you lift weights etc.

-Nah...I'm more of a yoga fan. I like to stay out of the gym....do things on my own. I'm fortunate to naturally have a decent amount of muscle, so I don't have to work very hard to stay toned.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    did you follow any particular diet? - In the beginning, I sort of did, because I was on Weight Watchers Momentum Points plan for the first year. But even then I pretty much ate what I wanted to (while staying within limits) because that's what works for me.

did you reduce carbohydrate? fat? Calories? - Mostly count calories but try to stay conscious of when fat, carbs or sodium are WAY in the red

did you excercise - yes, there's a gym here at work and I try to go at least 4 times per week and also try to workout at least one day on the weekend at home (outside if it's nice, DVD workout if it's cool/rainy)

did you lift weights etc. - Yes but not consistely - I tend to do more cardio in the warmer months because I'd rather be outside walking or running. Plan to get back to more strength now that it's getting cooler.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!