What do you insist on eating organic?

Options
I did a search and couldn't find anything quite like what I'm looking for.

I want to "go organic" but simply can't afford it. In south jersey, organic food is SUPER expensive. So what food do you insist on eating organic and which ones do you let slide?

Also, what foods have you simply cut out of your diet or really cut back on simply because they are too processed and the better stuff is too expensive?

I guess what I'm really looking for here is what steps have you taken to keep your body pesticide free and to keep your food eco friendly?

Replies

• chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb I try to follow, is if I eat the skin, it should be organic. (spinach, apples, strawberries, grapes, broccoli, carrots.)

If you take the peeling off, I dont worry to much (Bananas, oranges, mangos)
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Milk. I eat as much organic as I can get my hands on, but I insist on the milk. WIth a lot of fruits and vegs, you can at least wash them, milk you can not get rid of the pesticided the cows feed has in it, the bleach often dumped into milk, antibiotics ect.
  • Jessica2Skinny
    Jessica2Skinny Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Is there a Trader Joes by your? Almost everything there is organic /healthy for you and very reasonable priced.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    The only organic foods I insist on are the ones from my own garden. I don't use chemical fertilizers or pesticides.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Is there a Trader Joes by your? Almost everything there is organic /healthy for you and very reasonable priced.
    nearests TJ's or Whole Foods is 50+ miles away :-P South Jersey sucks!
  • bookdame
    Options
    Dairy & Soy! Also leafy greens and tomatoes.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    None, the organic branding is a con which uses inefficient and outdated farming techniques when compared to ordinary commercial farming. Organic does not mean no pesticides.

http://youtu.be/H3CoIqpyPYY
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm with someone above - if i eat the skin, i get organic whenever i can. Sometimes i wash things in a vinegar wash (have no idea where i heard that it helps remove pesticides)...I definately try for organic when it's berries and grapes and things, and don't care when it is bananas and oranges. Sad we live in a world where our mass producted food is a risk to us. I would love to have space for a garden and know what i am eating.
  • sharonus
    sharonus Posts: 102
    Options
    Here's a good resource for you: http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/

It has a list of the "Dirty Dozen" (buy organic) and the "Clean 15" (conventional produce lowest in pesticide residue).
  • Demwitted
    Options
    Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.organic.org/articles/showarticle/article-214

Remember that even if you can't afford or access organic food, it is still better to eat fruits and veggies. Also, take the "organic" label with a grain of salt. Some states have a standard that is clearly defined, but not all organic foods are equal and not all states regulate what "organic" should mean. Maybe it's "organic" in the state where you buy it, but not in the state where it was grown or vice versa.

On a good day, I buy all my produce from the organic foods store, but I do not sweat it if I end up going to the regular supermarket and the organic section has been picked over already (and nothing decent is left). Another good rule is to buy stuff produced in the same region as you are. They are less likely to be over-run with preservatives because they are not being shipped as far. If there is a local farmer's market where you are, most of that food will have fewer chemicals than your typical grocery store produce. It is food out of your own community's gardens. Plus, the farmer himself/herself will be selling it to you, so you can ask them exactly what they use.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02984/Foods-You-Dont-Have-to-Buy-Organic.html
    he following "Clean 15" foods had the lowest pesticide load, and consequently are the safest conventionally grown crops to consume from the standpoint of pesticide contamination:

Onions
    Sweet corn
    Pineapples
    Avocado
    Asparagus
    Sweet peas
    Mangoes
    Eggplant
    Cantaloupe (domestic)
    Kiwi
    Cabbage
    Watermelon
    Sweet potatoes
    Grapefruit
    Mushrooms

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02985/Foods-You-Should-Always-Buy-Organic.html

he following "Dirty Dozen" had the highest pesticide load, making them the most important to buy organic versions - or to grow them organically yourself:

Apples
    Celery
    Strawberries
    Peaches
    Spinach
    Nectarines (imported)
    Grapes (imported)
    Sweet bell peppers
    Potatoes
    Blueberries (domestic)
    Lettuce
    Kale/collard greens
  • ETC80
    ETC80 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Anything that comes from an animal (milk, eggs, and meat), or any fruit or vegetable in which I eat the skin (apples, tomatoes, grapes).

I'd say at a minimum to do organic meats and milk...especially if you have young kids in the home.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I do organic milk. Other than that I only buy organic if its on sale. It can be very expensive.

I may not be eating organic items but at least im eating fruits and veggies and not candy and chips!
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.organic.org/articles/showarticle/article-214

Remember that even if you can't afford or access organic food, it is still better to eat fruits and veggies. Also, take the "organic" label with a grain of salt. Some states have a standard that is clearly defined, but not all organic foods are equal and not all states regulate what "organic" should mean. Maybe it's "organic" in the state where you buy it, but not in the state where it was grown or vice versa.

On a good day, I buy all my produce from the organic foods store, but I do not sweat it if I end up going to the regular supermarket and the organic section has been picked over already (and nothing decent is left). Another good rule is to buy stuff produced in the same region as you are. They are less likely to be over-run with preservatives because they are not being shipped as far. If there is a local farmer's market where you are, most of that food will have fewer chemicals than your typical grocery store produce. It is food out of your own community's gardens. Plus, the farmer himself/herself will be selling it to you, so you can ask them exactly what they use.

good point about organic regulations where I am at as opposed to where they are sold. Here in NJ organic requires a ton of tests and stuff. They can grow the food without pesticides and what not, but if they are downwind of a farm that sprays and it gets in their soil then they don't pass the test (which I guess is why it's so expensive) So i know that NJ organic is REALLY organic, but other than that I don't even know the regulations
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I don't buy organic. Irks me too much that organic is so overpriced. Grow my own herbs and some veggies, but for the most part, I buy my produce at the local Produce stand on my way home and rinse it when I get home.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I tried to eat as much organic as I could but stopped 5 years ago. Now I buy local from farmers who's philosophy is responsible farming. Organic lost it's luster now that it's become a driving component of big agra farming. I have no interest in eating organic asparagus out of season from peru, I'd rather eat local and in season. just my opinion on organic.
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    I tried to eat as much organic as I could but stopped 5 years ago. Now I buy local from farmers who's philosophy is responsible farming. Organic lost it's luster now that it's become a driving component of big agra farming. I have no interest in eating organic asparagus out of season from peru, I'd rather eat local and in season. just my opinion on organic.

I prefert organic and in season....definitely agree with eating off season "organic" from some other place. I'm all about local produce, but most places down here close up in the late fall and winter. I guess it may come down to driving an hour and a half on a semi frequent basis in order to get good local produce
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Most of what I eat is organic (all for different reasons), but if I really had to choose, it would be fruits and vegetables. Although I think buying local and knowing where your produce comes from is more important. Do you have a CSA farm near you that delivers (www.localharvest.org/csa). I use one, and I find the price of a bi-weekly box to be fairly affordable, even compared to conventional produce at the grocery store.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Milk. I eat as much organic as I can get my hands on, but I insist on the milk. WIth a lot of fruits and vegs, you can at least wash them, milk you can not get rid of the pesticided the cows feed has in it, the bleach often dumped into milk, antibiotics ect.
    GMO's don't wash off. Just thought I'd point out that organic food isn't just about pesticides.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    GMO's don't wash off. Just thought I'd point out that organic food isn't just about pesticides.

You are my favorite. :flowerforyou: