excercise calories earned, eat them back?

imabhealthy
imabhealthy Posts: 74 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I have heard some members say they do not eat back their exercise calories, or only eat back some. I was eating them all back the first couple of weeks - it motivated me to exercise if I could eat more! Have you found that you can still lose weight while eating them back? I burn about 600 on my run days. Please let me know your secrets!

Replies

• imabhealthy
    I have heard some members say they do not eat back their exercise calories, or only eat back some. I was eating them all back the first couple of weeks - it motivated me to exercise if I could eat more! Have you found that you can still lose weight while eating them back? I burn about 600 on my run days. Please let me know your secrets!
  • EcHoOoOoO
    EcHoOoOoO Posts: 89
    mfp allows me 1200 i burn from 800-1200 a day (i do very strenuous cardio workouts) and i never go above 1500. This is my first week so we will see how it works out! If at the end of next week im not losing i guess i will have to eat up some more of those burned calories. Its just so hard for me mentaly to eat what if worked hard to burn and still lose weight....but we will see:glasses:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    I eat most of mine back. I don't use a heart rate monitor I use the numbers on MFP and deduct anywhere from 50-25%. I have been losing consistently since August.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    The most successful members - Boss, Tam, CMriverside, kerri, and others eat some or most, if not all, of their exercise calories. I would suggest, try it the way it is set up to work. If you don't lose weight after 3 - 4 weeks - sometimes it takes a while for a body to recognise positive change - then tweak the numbers. Boss has a great post if you haven't read it about his plan that worked for him and his suggestions. Good luck on your journey!!

Here's the link - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/49690-the-banks-plan
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    I eat mine. Why not, I earned them. I have it set to lose 1.5 pounds a week and I have been averaging more than 2.
  • SkyraBee
    SkyraBee Posts: 39 Member
    For the most part, I do not eat them. However, on days when I burn over 1000 calories in one day, I need to dip into them a little. I try to eat food high in fiber in the morning to curb my hunger for the majority of the day. I also have mfp set to lose 1.5 pounds a week and I am losing that or more depending on the week. So, if you "need" them, eat them. If you don't "need" them don't. It's a way to train the mind: if you're not hungry, don't eat (try chewing gum--for me it keeps my mouth busy and I stop thinking about food). Good luck.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    I eat mine back... ya, it works.
  • imabhealthy
    Thanks you guys. That's good news! and good advice...
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    I dont eat mine back but I really eat high in fiber and filling foods so I hardly am hungry enough to go over my 1200-1400..:drinker:
This discussion has been closed.