Addicted to Sugar... Need help to kick it.

Options
2»

Replies

• lueema
    Options
    I freeze seedless red grapes. The sweetness level goes up like crazy and they stay soft inside. Its like having ice cream, but healthier. Its still sugar, but at least its a healthier form than desserts and chocolates
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    i agree cut back slowly if you can get away from the soda fast then start cutting down. the first few days are the hardest. i stopped dring booz that was easy compared to the sweets. good luck you can do it
  • eoakhome
    Options
    Drink Diet soda for two weeks, and don't eat anything else with sugar in it ( except from what you get from food), and your cravings are over ;) It's actually that "simple". The less sugar you give your body the less sugar it craves for, BUT it will be though the first week ! Good luck ;)
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I love sugar but found that you don't have to give it up completely - just substitute. I substituted fruits as a 'dessert' (no sugar added). I love mango with lemon juice or cut up strawberries and kiwi. That way, you don't have the guilt of eating badly, plus you still get a sweet taste.

I do this too. Especially honeycrisp apples. They are sweeter than some candy
  • wagreen
    wagreen Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi, I love sugar as well. I have been drinking diet sodas every now and then. I have been eating Charleston chews, because I dont want to totally deprive myself and i eat a little piece at a time. I have been trying sugar free candy I can suck on for a while. That seems to help me. Get a mini kitkat or whatever chocolate you like and share the other 7 that come in the pack (normally pack cost $1)
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Gradually cutting back worked best for me. Trying to cut it too drastically at first made me feel so bad I just couldn't function. Seriously, it was like having withdrawal; massive headaches, nausea, shakes, no energy.

So I just made small changes. I started using one less teaspoon of sugar in my coffee. Then after a month or so I cut back a bit more. Now I just use 1 teaspoon of sugar for a 16 oz cup of coffee.

At the beginning I set myself the goal of one sweet treat per day (instead of the many I was having previously). That way I still had something to look forward to and enjoy, but started teaching myself to make better choices. Things like "If I have that cookie from the break room then I can't have the slice of cake that's waiting at home." Gradually it got easier.

Your taste buds will adjust. I still like sweets, but I can't eat nearly as much of them, and I like them to be less sweet now. I'm at the point where I just add fresh fruit and a sprinkle of cinnamon to my plain Greek yogurt. And a bowl of oatmeal only needs 1 teaspoon or less of brown sugar, or add blueberries and skip the processed sugar all together.

You definitely can do this. Just take it one day at a time and work on making better choices today than you did yesterday.
  • BahamaBrownEyes
    Options
    I had a major sugar problem and the cravings were the worst, Try adding more fruits to your diet, and water. I found that the fruits curved the sweet tooth and the water made me feel full, it helped alot. :smile:
  • beckyobsm
    beckyobsm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that sugar is as addictive as cocaine... I can't verify that information, but it's at least making some kind of point. I tried the cold turkey method and it worked short-term, but when I finally let myself have a little taste of something sweet.... let's just say it wasn't pretty.

I'd say a slow and gradual removal of sugar, as well as things with sweetener that are keeping you in the mood just as much as the real thing, is what has worked best for me. Good luck!

Agreed. I am also a reformed sugar junkie. I have been working on it since April and it has taken me 6-7 months to get my addiction under control. Do not give up.
  • challengeaccepted
    Options
    Try lowering your carb intake. Perhaps 100g of carbs a day and maybe in a month's time you will be craving less sweets. I reduced my carb intake from <300g to 20g a day, lost about 10lbs in two weeks and didn't crave sweets after that. Obviously if you start eating more carbs again you will probably start craving more sweets. I will also advise you to check out this FAQ http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/keto.

This is what worked for me to reduce my sweet craving, I am no longer on the "keto diet" or way of life actually, I'm actually giving jucing a try :D
  • ameerah77
    ameerah77 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I found replacing Sugar with Agave syrup was excellent, Well worth it, Agave is healthy and only 20 calories and no fat. You can put it in anything!. great for those of us who love sugar. Only one teaspoon and thats all you really need.

^^ Totally agree. With me it was trial and error until I found what I prefer over sugar. I use Ideal. It's Xylitol, found naturally in fruits and veggies and calorie free. Sometimes though, I will use allow myself something with sugar in the raw in it.
  • fitnhappymom
    Options
    I had the same concern... I use stevia and agave to sweeten now and I drink Shakeology a healthy nutritious meal replacement that gives my body all the nutrients it could possibly need and then some. The combo has REALLY helped me kick the habits and get into great shape! :) feel free to friend me on FB at http://www.facebook.com/fitnhappymom I share fitness and health tips, motivation and I run contests you can enter! ;) Good luck to you! ;)
  • joetimm
    Options
    I was addicted to sugar also until a trip to the ER last week with a blood sugar of 440. I found out I was diabetic type 2. I dropped my carbs that night to 175 grams a day. I prefer to keep my feet when Im 60 .