Brussels Sprouts recipe anyone will eat!

Options
pa_jorg
pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
Shred the sprouts and saute them on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Once they are heated through, add some Trader Joes Cranberry Apple Butter (20 calories per Tbsp) and a sprinkle of sea salt and serve immediately.

The tart and sweet flavors of the Cranberry Apple Butter really complimented the bitterness of the sprouts. I'm sure this could be done with any jam or jelly, but be careful to watch sugar content.

Replies

• LASH3S
    LASH3S Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    YUM!! I usually shred some parmesan on... this will be a nice change!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I will try this. Anything to get delicious Brussels Sprouts back on my table of haters!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    One problem... I hate cranberry :-P I love brussel sprouts though :-P
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My husband hates cranberries - but I think I will try this with regular Apple Butter or Pumpkin Butter. Sounds like a different yummy way of cooking them. It is not a big deal for me since I usually steam them with a bit of sugar anyways to cut through the bitterness. That is the only way my boys will eat them. Thanks for the tip.
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    Yum! I usually shred them too but saute with slivered almonds. I'll have to try it this way. Thanks for sharing!
  • Boogey419
    Options
    Sounds yum...I'm gunna try it tonite but since I don't have any apple-cran butter 'm gunna substitute it with Trader Joe's Pumpkin Butter. I hope it turns out just as good.
  • klothingme
    klothingme Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like to cut them in half lengthwise and saute them in a little olive oil, garlic, hot pepper flake, and just before serving toss with some fresh lemon juice.

Lemon juice really takes the bitterness of dark greens down and the hot pepper flake gives them a little "zing" :D
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This sounds similar to a recipe my brother prepared for Thanksgiving one year only it used pears and cranberries. I didn't care for it. I have yet to try a recipe for sweetened brussel sprouts that I liked. In fact there are very few (no?) vegetables I like sweetened. I can't think of any right off hand but there maybe something. I prefer spicy to sweet in most foods.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that some people don't like cranberry. Maybe try it with another berry flavor or pomegranate?
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'll be curious to know how people like it with the pumpkin apple butter. I have two jars I am not using because I so rarely eat bread (I'm gluten-free, and the only good gf bread is rather expensive, and an hour and a half away). I don't like brussel sprouts, but my boyfriend loves them, so if there was a way we could both eat them, that would be great!