Leftover bananas---what to do with them.

Options
DizzyLinds
DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
I have about 3-4 bananas leftover from the weekend. I don't really eat them on their own but in wouldn't moind making spomething with them that isn't excessive in calories, extra carbs, fat and sugar. Any ideas much appreciated please!!!

Replies

• coloradocuppiecake
    Options
    I usually peel them and put them in a ziplock and stick them in the freezer to use for smoothies
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I usually peel them and put them in a ziplock and stick them in the freezer to use for smoothies

Me too =P
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are great!
    I also cut them up and cook them into my oatmeal. Then it doesn't even need sugar! You could mash them up and make banana "pancakes", "Mash about 2/3 of a medium banana in a small bowl. Add about a teaspoon of splenda and a few sprinkles of cinnimon (as much or as little as you like). Add 1/4 of a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Add 1/3 of a cup of egg whites (I use All Whites from the carton). Mix all of the ingredients together, and cook up the pancakes in a hot skillet as you would cook regular pancakes." <-- from one of the recipe boards :D
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Almost No-Fat Banana Bread:

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups wheat flour
    3/4 cup Sugar or Sugar substitute
    1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 egg whites
    1 cup banana, mashed
    1/4 cup applesauce

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
    In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Add egg whites, bananas and applesauce; stir just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
    Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean. Turn out onto wire rack and allow to cool before slicing.

I make mine using Splenda and it comes out to 73 calories per serving.
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Ditto for me too! There are some great smoothie recipes out there. Try a 'green' smoothie sometime!
  • melmarler
    Options

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups wheat flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    2 egg whites
    1 cup banana, mashed
    1/4 cup applesauce

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
    In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Add egg whites, bananas and applesauce; stir just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
    Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean. Turn out onto wire rack and allow to cool before slicing.

This sounds delicious.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I'm in the uk..what is applesauce...like stewed apples?!
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I cut them up and freeze them. Then take one out, put it in the blender with a bit of almond milk (regular milk work's too) and a bit of vanilla. Whirl it up until it's the consistency of ice-cream. Put a bit of chocolate sauce on it with some peanuts and voila....DESSERT! SO DELICIOUS!
  • aamon17
    aamon17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Cut them up, then freeze them. Once frozen, put them in a high power blender/processor with some vanilla extract, a little Splenda Brown Sugar Blend, and a touch of Milk (soy, almond, whatever)... Makes a great ice cream!
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It is pretty good - my still-eating-junk-food family eats it like crazy....
    I'm in the uk..what is applesauce...like stewed apples?!

LOL- good question.

It's pretty much just apples cooked and thrown into a food processor, and then generally served cold. Of course, you can buy it with cinnamon and sugar added - but I use the natural, unsweetened variety.

I'm assuming it would be akin to stewed apples? But maybe someone else can confirm that.
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options

I do this too!

If you don't feel like eating any bananas I make a Banana Almond Treatment for my hair.

Whip up this quick and easy home spa treatment for your hair. This potassium-rich banana yogurt combo will moisturize and soften your hair and also balance your scalp's ph balance. In a blender mix together 1/2 banana, 1/4 cup plain yogurt, and a drop of almond extract (the almond extract added as an aromatic treatment for scent lovers") until smooth and creamy. Apply generously to pre-wetted hair, wrap a wet well-wrung out towel. Leave this luxurious banana almond smoothing on your hair for 10 to 15 minutes.

Random I know but it works :)
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    This is my Banana bread, I made this and ate half of it myself, the rest was eaten when I took it to school with me. Apparently it's pretty tasty!!!

Calories and nutrients per loaf:

Cal: 1315, Carbs: 292, Fat: 9, Protien: 40, Fiber: 20, Sodium: 2733 (Whoa!!)

Calories and nutrients per slice (12 half inch slices a loaf)

Cal: 110, Carbs: 24, Fat: 1, Protien: 3, Fiber: 2, Sodium: 228 (not as bad)

Ingredients:

3 large Mashed Bananas
    3/4 Cup Granulated Spenda
    3/4 Cup Natural Unsweetened applesauce
    2 Eggs
    2 cups All Purpose Flour
    1 teaspoon Baking Soda
    2 teaspoons Vanilla flavoring or 1 teaspoon Vanilla flavoring, 1 teaspoon banana flavoring
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325
    Grease a loaf pan (I use 0 calorie cooking spray)
    Mix bananas, Splenda, applesauce, and Eggs until completely blended
    Add flour 1/2 a cup at a time, mixing well after each addition
    Add remaining ingredients, mixing well after each addition
    Bake 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the bread comes out clean
    Remove from oven
    Allow to cool 10 minutes in the pan, then invert the bread and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack before cutting. Standard loaf pan should allow for 12 half inch or 10 one inch slices.

I hope your bread comes out as pretty and as tasty as mine. Remember the riper the bananas the sweeter they will be!!
  • angelapolite
    Options
    LOW FAT LOW SUGAR BANANA BREAD

Ingredients
    •3 ripe bananas
    •1/2 cup of honey
    •3 Tbsp Canola Oil
    •About 1 tsp Canola Oil to grease the pan
    •1 tsp vanilla extract
    •1 1/2 cups of whole-wheat pastry flour* (I used regular whole wheat flour, came out perfect!)
    •1 1/2 tsp baking soda
    •1/4 tsp salt
    •3/4 cup chopped walnuts** (*I didn't use nuts)
    *Using whole wheat pastry flour is important. Regular whole-wheat flour won't rise as well because it's a bit too heavy.

** These are optional. However, I like to toast the walnuts before I add them to the recipe.

Instructions

1.Heat your oven to 350 F.
    2.Using the 1 tsp of canola oil, grease your pan.
    3.Mash up your ripe bananas and mix with the honey, its okay if it's a little lumpy.
    4.In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and nuts.
    5.Combine the two mixtures together. Don't over-mix!
    6.Pour the mixture into your pan. I like to drizzle a small amount of extra honey on the top of the mixture. It makes the top crust even better. Don't use too much though! (* I didn't do this)

7.Bake for about 40 minutes. Use a toothpick to check for doneness.

I made 1dozen of muffins. Came out to 139 cal 27g carbs 15g sugar 4g fat 2g protein 2g fiber for one muffin
  • cinder701
    Options
    bump
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Recipe (as found on Mark’s Daily Apple, makes about 8 small-medium pancakes):
    *2 eggs
    *4 mashed banana (ripe for sweetness but not too ripe – see notes below)
    *2 tbsp almond butter

*Mash the banana and mix in the egg and almond butter.
    *Fry in a pan as you would a normal pancake. I cook a rasher of bacon first and then cook my pancakes in the bacon grease for added flavor. The bacon grease imparts a touch of saltiness that contrasts nicely with the sweetness of the banana.

Note:
    *Using an under-ripe banana will result in a pancake that tastes a little starchy and is less sweet. To the contrary, using an overripe banana may cause the pancakes to be too loose to hold the pancake shape when flipped. Adding extra almond butter can help an overripe banana hold its shape during cooking.
  • Alyshahmr
    Options
    Great recipe, I will try this one.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Banana hummus... just mix mashed banana in with the other ingreidents.

Or I make banana peanut butter biscuits for my dogs. Better than a fattening banana bread that I'll be obliged to eat.
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups wheat flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    2 egg whites
    1 cup banana, mashed
    1/4 cup applesauce

Directions

I heart Banana Bread! I usually use my grandmother's not-so-good-for-you recipe, but this makeover looks great! Thank you for it!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I slice them and freeze them for smoothies since they are very calorie dense and I find them not at all filling especially when compared to apples - they are still good in the freezer 6 months later! ½ a medium banana is usually 10 slices for about 55 calories and it makes chocolate protein shakes whip up smooth and creamy like a milk shake. I use ½ cup milk, 2/3 cup water and ¾ cup of ice for my delicious protein shakes.
  • RaceTo48Kg
    RaceTo48Kg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for sharing your recipes!