Frustrated with the price of yogurt

Options
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the cheapest price on yogurt at the grocery store? The only coupons I can find are for the kids kind like gogurt and trix. I do buy that once in a while for my kids but for a treat since it has more sugar in it. We are a family of 5 and we all like Chobani but it's just to expensive to buy that all the time. I'm even more frustrated at the moment because it used to be $1 here and today I saw it went up to $1.19. If it was just me eating it, it wouldn't be a big deal but for 5 people that really adds up. I hate the fact that I could feed my kids the junky sugar kind so much cheaper than the healthy kind.

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I buy greek yogurt in the large tubs. You can split it into containers yourself; you get much more for your dollar!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you have a Walmart Super Store by you go there.. it is the only place I will buy my yogurt.

It's a dollar for Dannon and I think Chobani too... and the big tub of Chobani is only like 2 or 3 dollars.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    We eat the Oikos and get it at Sam's Club. It's $10.68 for 12 - 5.3 oz cups.
  • LuvDMB
    LuvDMB Posts: 26
    Options
    Have you ever considered making it yourself? It's really easy once you get past the trial and error of getting it just the way you like it.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I think the Chobani website has coupons. Also, e-mail or write a letter to the company, sometimes you can get coupons for your feedback!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Definitely buy it in the biggest tub you can find and serve it out into single serves as you need it.
    Or buy a cheaper natural yoghurt and strain it to make it thicker and creamier.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I have to feed a lot of people, 10 actually. I buy greek yogurt but only the biggest tubs of it. I use reusable containers for school. Its saves so much money.

I'll buy other yogurt too, but again, only in the biggest tubs I can find.
  • erinmac0211
    erinmac0211 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! Near me they do a 10 for 10 deal which helps a lot with the price. But like the others said, getting the big tubs really helps. And it also cuts down some of the sugar content too. I add fresh fruit usually or use it in recipes.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Sam's club sells 32 oz of Chobani for under 5.00 (its the plain, so you add your own fruit)...we buy that. You can also contact Chobani and tell them how much you like their yogurt, and they will give you a link to coupons, and send you a few in the mail..I did that last month.

Right now ours are 10 for 10 and we are stocking up LOL
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain...stores around here never carry the largest sized tubs of Fage or Chobani so I can't even get more bang for my buck that way. I don't eat regular yogurt, only Greek...I kind of just suck it up, but I'm only buying for myself so it's not *as* bad.
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the cheapest price on yogurt at the grocery store? The only coupons I can find are for the kids kind like gogurt and trix. I do buy that once in a while for my kids but for a treat since it has more sugar in it. We are a family of 5 and we all like Chobani but it's just to expensive to buy that all the time. I'm even more frustrated at the moment because it used to be $1 here and today I saw it went up to $1.19. If it was just me eating it, it wouldn't be a big deal but for 5 people that really adds up. I hate the fact that I could feed my kids the junky sugar kind so much cheaper than the healthy kind.

I get my chobani at Costco. I get 12 of them for $12! At the store individually they are at almost $2 each!
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    The grocery store across from me sells the small Chobani containers 3 for 5 bucks! And the tub for 6 bucks!

I usually just stock up with a few tubs at Costco for the same price as one tub at the grocery store. I don't know where you live, but if you have a shop-rite or something of the type around they have sales often. At shop-rite, they're usually 10 for 10, which here is awesome.
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    If you have the time, try making it. I just made a batch - got a deal on skim supreme milk, but didn't have any other yogurt in the house to use as starter so used a yogurt starter packet (have a bunch in the cupboard for when that happens.) Probably cost me $3.50 total to make 7 7oz servings. I just strain it before I eat it to get the greek consistency. When I want the higher protein, I look for the plain nonfat dannon greek on sale.

I use a yogurt maker, but there are plenty of instructions online for doing it without one.

I don't make flavored yogurt, however. Always non fat and plain. I prefer to add my own flavoring before I eat it. my current favorite - stevia and protein plus peanut flour. It ends up like peanut butter mousse. Going to try some of that in freezer pops this week. :)
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. Plus, if you're already getting the paper for coupons, look at other store prices as well. Wal-Mart price matches and then you can use whatever coupons on top of that. You just need the printed ad and it has to have an exact value (for example, it needs to say $.99 not 50% off).
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I buy my Greek yogurt at Bloom. It's their store brand called Hannaford "Taste of Inspirations". $0.89 for a 6oz serving.
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Some other alternatives...

Greek Yogurt is made by draining more of the whey protein from regular yogurt (seriously). So if you want to save money buy a generic "normal" plain yogurt which is usually cheaper. Put it in cheese cloth or a wet dish towel and suspend it over a bowl in your fridge overnight. In the morning you have Greek Yogurt that's thick and creamy and half the cost, but I should warn you that you'll have half the amount you started with.

If you are really, really motivated, you can make your own yogurt from scratch. It takes a cup of yogurt with cultures and a gallon of milk and a non-metal bowl. I have done this. It's not hard. It takes a day, but most of that day is just for the cultures to do their thing and you don't have to do anything. There are recipes online for this. I did it mostly just to see if I could do it, and because I thought that yogurt was too pricey. I generally don't do it that often just because I work a lot and I don't always have the time, but it's definitely do able and easy. If you can boil water, you can make your own yogurt.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    And if you use powdered milk to make it the cost will come down even more.
  • Mom2PAK
    Mom2PAK Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I started making my own. It is dirt cheap (cost of a half gallon of milk) and really easy, however it does take time. It is about 20 minutes of labor and the rest is just waiting.