Need advice please

Options
BrenNew
BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
My son is getting married next weekend. We're having the rehearsal dinner at an Applebee's a week from tonite. My husband says we don't have to dress up at all since it's just a casual dinner. However, one of my co-workers told me today that as the mother of the groom, "it would be in poor taste" for me to wear jeans. What does everyone here at MFP think? Thanks. Brenda

Replies

• BrenNew
    Options
    My son is getting married next weekend. We're having the rehearsal dinner at an Applebee's a week from tonite. My husband says we don't have to dress up at all since it's just a casual dinner. However, one of my co-workers told me today that as the mother of the groom, "it would be in poor taste" for me to wear jeans. What does everyone here at MFP think? Thanks. Brenda
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I agree it would be in poor taste to wear jeans. I think nice dress pants and a nice top would be fine. I think you should dress nice but casual if that makes sence. Congrats by the way. :flowerforyou: Cindy :heart:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Its applebees you don't want to get too dressy- However ask your son what they plan on wearing if they are wearing jeans then go for it- Not to mention you can dress jeans up with some heels and a nice top
  • BrenNew
    Options
    Its applebees you don't want to get too dressy- However ask your son what they plan on wearing if they are wearing jeans then go for it- Not to mention you can dress jeans up with some heels and a nice top

I talked to my son tonite, and he said he's planning on wearing jeans, and thinks that at least several of the others are too. I know that my husband is definitely planning on jeans.
    I just wish I knew what his bride's mother is wearing, since if SHE dresses up, THEN I probably WILL look tacky I suppose.
    I just don't know WHAT I should do! :embarassed:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

I talked to my son tonite, and he said he's planning on wearing jeans, and thinks that at least several of the others are too. I know that my husband is definitely planning on jeans.
    I just wish I knew what his bride's mother is wearing, since if SHE dresses up, THEN I probably WILL look tacky I suppose.
    I just don't know WHAT I should do! :embarassed:

Actually she will look tacky and overdressed not you because if the majority are dressing down in jeans then she will look out of place- So don't stress it
  • Stacey82
    Stacey82 Posts: 69
    Options
    You can't go wrong with a pair of khakis. My girlfriend's rehearsal was at Applebee's and there was a pretty good mix of jeans and assorted other items. I wore khaki capris, a couple of the girls were still in there suits - straight from the office, the bride was in a pair of black pants with a nice shirt, the groom was in shorts and a hoodie!

If you're concerned about being to dressed up or dressed down my suggestion would be khakis or a basic black pant. Throw on a nice, but still casual shirt. This will put you right in the middle, not sticking out for being dressed like a bum (my personal preference!) and not giving the impression that you think you're better than everyone by trying to look better than everyone.

When it comes down to it the only thing that's going to matter is that you're comfortable, it'll be much easier to enjoy yourself if you're dressed comfortably! Sounds like you're over-thinking this one a bit...throw on something you think makes you look good and have a great time!

Congrats to your son and his bride!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I RARELY ever wear anything else other then jeans, a very nice top with dark wash jeans, a blazer or nice jacket, a pair of pumps or boots, dressed up with some jewerly and darker makeup. You will be fine, if you wanna see some ideas I can send you a couple out pics of me and my girls............

Don't worry about dressing up, be who you are, your son's fiance's family is not marrying you and she surely will not change her mind cause you wore jeans to the rehearsal dinner.

My thoughts

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Good advice all the way around, but here is yet another idea.... I

If you want to know what the bride's mother is planning to wear, how about calling her up and asking? You might be saving her an uncomfortable evening...if she is planning on showing up overdressed in comparison to the rest of the party.

After all, you are probably going to have some kind of relationship since your kids are going to get married, so might as well get things off on the right foot.:smile:
  • lizbeth787
    lizbeth787 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i always say when in doubt, dress up!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    considering the location is a casual dining restaurant you should be able to wear jeans and a nice top If your son, the groom, is wearing jeans and the bride then you have nothing to lose :wink:
  • BrenNew
    Options
    Good advice all the way around, but here is yet another idea.... I

If you want to know what the bride's mother is planning to wear, how about calling her up and asking? You might be saving her an uncomfortable evening...if she is planning on showing up overdressed in comparison to the rest of the party.

After all, you are probably going to have some kind of relationship since your kids are going to get married, so might as well get things off on the right foot.:smile:

Thanks for the advice, but since I don't care AT ALL for my son's future wife's mother, I won't be calling her up to chat about clothes! :laugh: Thanks anyway though. :smile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Our rehearsal dinner (yes I know it's month's away but I've still been planning!) is at a nice, but casual restaurant also. I'm still planning on getting a cute dress and shoes to wear to it. If my fiance thinks he's wearing jeans he's sadly mistaken, and when my mom asks for advice on what to wear I will be telling her NO JEANS. I think the bride will be semi-dressed up and her mom probably will be too but even if they aren't, a nice skirt and blouse won't look overdone, and you'll look like this night is important to you! Don't wear jeans!