Colds and eating....

slieber
slieber Posts: 765 Member
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
I have managed somehow to contract a cold. Grrr...!!!

I have abandoned any pretense of staying within various calorie levels, though (not eating junk - my body couldn't stand that I'm pleased to say).

Is that what I should do when ill? I'm feeling really cruddy. It's not a very bad cold, as yet (just the first day today). I don't want to deprive my body of anything it could use to help kill the cold. It's the first real one I've had in 2 years!

I plan to make a taureen (sp?) of chicken soup (home-made, killer, Jewish penicillin-style) tomorrow.

I am using airborne, Vit. C, tea, etc....

Do you think this will have an adverse effect on my weight if I just do what my body is begging me to do right now....which is EAT????

Replies

• slieber
    I have managed somehow to contract a cold. Grrr...!!!

I have abandoned any pretense of staying within various calorie levels, though (not eating junk - my body couldn't stand that I'm pleased to say).

Is that what I should do when ill? I'm feeling really cruddy. It's not a very bad cold, as yet (just the first day today). I don't want to deprive my body of anything it could use to help kill the cold. It's the first real one I've had in 2 years!

I plan to make a taureen (sp?) of chicken soup (home-made, killer, Jewish penicillin-style) tomorrow.

I am using airborne, Vit. C, tea, etc....

Do you think this will have an adverse effect on my weight if I just do what my body is begging me to do right now....which is EAT????
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    ignore the cold
    continue your normal plan

a cold is nothing to change your plan for

muster onward
  • SkyraBee
    SkyraBee Posts: 39 Member
    Definitely stick to the plan. Eating and/or overeating is not what you body wants. I also am a big fan of sweating out my colds. I tend to work out vigorously when I have one. It usually makes me feel better. I saw a news segment about working out while sick in comparison to working out while not sick-- the results were the same. So keep taking your vitamin C (airbourne) and go sweat. :) Trop50 (the low sugar O.J.) is also rather delicious.
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Oh I'm glad someone asked this question. I am getting a bit sick I think...and didn't know if it was a good idea to go for a jog or not.......so, I guess I will now!lol:smile:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    If you eat maintenance calories you shouldn't gain anything. If you are feeling dizzy or running a fever you shouldn't exercise.

You may want to include more fruits and nuts and protein. But this is not from experience b/c I have had a cold in years.
  • Stacey82
    Stacey82 Posts: 69
    I can't offer you any useful input, but am experiencing the opposite effect. Started out yesterday and I thought it was just allergies, now it's clearly something more and I feel rotten. Just the thought of eating is making me feel ill. I barely got in the minimum 1200 cals today and wasn't able to keep them all in. So my question is this; Would it be better to go easy on the food for a couple days until I'm feeling better, rather than forcing myself to eat and having it come back up?

Thanks for the input and I hope everyone with this horrible bug is feeling better soon!
  • slieber
    It's hitting me VERY badly. Too sick to move much. I'm not hungry anymore, just feeling ick.
This discussion has been closed.