What would you change?

Options
Hello,

I am three weeks in as a member of MFP. I am SO happy with this approach to weight loss. I have given birth to 12 children in 18 years. I am 5'4" and weigh 140 lbs. I would like to lose 20 lbs. I exercise fairly regularly and eat fairly healthy, but haven't been able to budge those extra lbs. I just never knew how much to eat. So in my first 12 days of MFP, I lost six lbs. (So exciting!) However, I have been at a stand still for the past week. My 11-month-old nurses 4-7 times a day, so I add 300 calories for that (total goal of 1500 calories a day). I have also been eating my exercise calories - (30 min. of walking at 3.5mph or 35 min. of T-Tapp).

So, I'm thinking of trying several things to see if they make a difference. Someone suggested NOT eating my exercise calories, but I'm afraid to do this for baby's sake. I'm already hungry a lot of the time. So should I just try to exercise for an extra 15 minutes and/or add extra protein calories? What would you do?

Thanks,
Amy

Replies

• gixy72
    gixy72 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    have you tried the 6 small meals a day to help with the hunger, you do need plenty of calium in your diet too
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary to judge your food choices but definitely add protein. Up to one gram of protein per pound of body weight (no more than 175 grams a day). This was a big help for me.
  • Shani262
    Shani262 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would actually eat a tad more. Like 100-150 more. Try to make them protein based. For exercise, I would try something you've never done just to mix up your routine. I do this every 30 days to challenge myself.. Get a heart rate monitor, if you don't already have one. Good Luck!
  • Aussie4870
    Options
    how much are your goals set for loosing each week? may i suggest that you aim for loosing only 1lb per week...even less since you are breastfeeding and you are close to your goal....
  • Rhodygarden
    Options
    I would keep doing what you are doing and see what the scale shows in another week. Sometimes when I have a big drop on the scale, the next week it doesn't budge. When I stick with it another week, then I lose again. For me, its a life style change long term, so I don't get too worried about a week where the scale stays the same. I do have my goal set at one pound a week, but some week I lose less than that and some weeks more.

You can always try small adjustments here and there over time as you learn more about what is working for you.
  • AmySenecal
    AmySenecal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help so far! I will work on dividing my meals into six and also adding more protein. I suppose it is better to eat an extra 100 calories of protein than to go to bed really hungry? I had also gotten excited about the initial loss and changed my goal to 2 lbs. a week. I couldn't tell that it reflected on my calorie goal, but I went ahead and changed my settings back to 1 lb. a week. I'll have to come up with an exercise change. I get stuck in a rut, for sure. Treadmill one day, T-Tapp the next... Not much else to do around the house, I guess. Unless I interchange some jogging time on the treadmill with walking. Hmm...
  • liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    wow girl thats amazing 140lbs after giving birth to 12 babys!! i have 2, ages four and three, i know that only having 2 has put my body somewhere i dont want it to be, i hope you find something that works for you to get them 20lbs off, seems like you havent done bad at all with the other babys....ive been told that nursing helps you get back to your weight quicker than bottle feeding, but not to much long your baby wont be doing that anymore, like me im a stay at home mom, so my daughters home with me and i cant go to the gym or go walkin if the weathers not decent, so i use my wii fit, ive had success with it before, that and eating healthy, good luck busy mommy!!:flowerforyou: