Zumba Calories

Options
Anyone know how many calories burned in 60 minutes of Zumba? Would it be like high impact aerobics (that's how I mark in the log)? My instructor stated you burn between 500-1000 in an hour. Of course it depends on how hard you work.

Thanks.

Replies

• Alison__
    Alison__ Posts: 107
    Options
    I've never been to a Zumba class, but I have been thinking about it. Is it just as fun as everyone says it is?
  • Yary2931
    Yary2931 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump! I want to know the answer of this as well. I have been doing zumba for a few weeks now but because I am not sure, I log like 350 calories. I can say that the workout is very intense, therefore I am sure I am burning a lot more. I LOVE IT!
  • shnazzy
    shnazzy Posts: 213
    Options
    I mark it as aerobic dance ballet with a modern twist (in the database )
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE zumba! But it definitely all depends on how hard you work... and for me it varies by instructor. I can burn about 500 in one class, but close to 900 with someone else.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Try www.zumbacalories.com. You put in your intensity level and your weight. Intensity levels are defined for you for a more acurate burn count: low is you can sing while you workout, medium is you can talk, and high is neither.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It varies I would get a HRM. My sister did zumba the other day for 59 mins and burned 430. I have a HRM but havent done zumba with it!
  • kodijhill
    kodijhill Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    burn 846 calories if you go to sparkpeople they have good activities to go off and i wiegh 280
  • cherrycake26
    Options
    Did Zumba for the first time last week it was fun fab and sweaty, really felt it was a good work out..I will be there again wednesday......Think we need a definate calorie burn on this in the data base x
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I would get an HRM because everyone's effort is different.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM and burn between 300/400 calories in 30 mins. I've also used www.zumbacalories.com and it's fairly accurate.
  • Diahann83
    Options
    I lost 5 stones with healthy eating and zumba :) and now an instructor would never have imagined this but love it sooo much :) Classes burn 600-1000 calories per hour the harder you work the more you burn x
  • lsobek
    Options
    I am a zumba instructor and it is sooo much fun and better than just plain aerobics. Based on your fitness level I would say you could count between 500-700 calories. You have to judge it on how much you put into it and what aerobic level you are.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It depends on your weight, how hard you work and how in shape you are. The best advice would be for you to get a HRM that either calculates calories burned for you or one that gives you the average HR during the workout so you can figure calories burned manually.
  • TrishKennett
    Options
    Absolutely love Zumba! The zumbacalories.com website gave me a much higher reading for the "mid" level than I have been logging. As for most of the session I have at least one foot on the floor, I thought this classified it as "low impact" aerobics, and added this accordingly. A great way to burn!
  • katiehilliard
    Options
    I log it under dance, my instructor says you can burn about 500 cals in 1 hour but I always log under that. Better to be under than over :~)
  • karenp84
    karenp84 Posts: 119
    Options
    I use my HRM when i go to zumba and i burn between 700-800 calories per class
  • cruise13
    Options
    Thanks everyone. If you have not tried Zumba check it out. It's so much fun and a great way to get your hips moving :) and it doesn't matter if your not coordinated as long as you keep moving.