High triglycerides, anyone had this??

Options
I did a Heath Assessment for my job and it came back that my triglycerides were at 406 and should be 150 or lower. Really worries me. I have called my Dr. but had to leave message. Has anyone ever dealt with this and if so, what did they do?

Replies

• cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Triglycerides are usually elevated when you eat a lot of processed foods, foods high in fat, and foods high in sodium. They are also high if you are over weight, regularly consume more calories than you burn, etc.

The best way to get them in check is to get into shape. Burn more calories than you consume, limit fatty foods, reduce your overall weight, and exercise every day. I've been there, it IS possible to lower them!
  • Jones4177
    Options
    Did you ever feel really tired when you had high Triglycerides? even after a good workout.
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    That is actually what prompted me to MFP. I've always been a "healthy" overweight - cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure normal. A few weeks ago I had some blood work done and my cholesterol is now in the high range (not astronomic, but still higher than it needs to be). My triglycerides were also above 150 for the first time.

My doctor said I had two options - medication or diet/working out. He's giving me a couple months to see if I can get the numbers down through diet and exercise. So far, I'm doing well and am down 12 pounds and working out regularly. Anytime I want to cheat, I think to myself "I will NOT be on meds for this!".

Good luck!
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended Fish oil like Cod Liver oil or Krill oil. This was six weeks ago and I've been taking them since. Will give it another month or so and get a re-check.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I did often feel very tired... but honestly, that was likely because at the time I had a sedentary lifestyle! I have also heard fish oil can help!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,943 Member
    Options
    High trigs in the blood usually means high blood sugar and is associated with MetS, insulin resistance, diabetes, pcos, etc.........It's basically the result of a highly processed carb diet. A reduced carb diet, exercise, and weight loss will generally drop your trigs in a heart beat.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,943 Member
    Options
    High trigs are also associated with low HDL, higher C-reactive protein, a marker for inflammation and increased chances of heart disease.