help needed

Options
Hi guys,

Recently I cant seem to get my eating under control. I want to eat everything in sight and most are obviously unhealthy.

Please give me some tips/suggestions on how to curb this asap before all of my hardwork disappears.

Thanks!

Replies

• Alison__
    Alison__ Posts: 107
    Options
    The hard part for me was to realize the difference between cravings and real hunger. These days, I only eat meals when I'm really feeling the hunger, but before I used to eat no matter what. Try to eat healthy meals whenever the hunger actually kicks in - about 4 small meals is usually enough for me - and if you feel a craving, have a piece of fruit in between meals.

A good way to tell difference between craving and hunger is to question what you are feeling like eating. If the feeling will pass if you eat something healthy, then do. If it doesn't and if you keep longing for processed food, then occupy yourself so you won't have time to think about it!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Having Halloween candy in my house made me completely unravel last week. I have disposed of most of the candy - the stuff I like - and I'm starting fresh today. I find myself chugging a glass of water the moment I have the urge to eat something that I shouldn't. Mind over matter. Easier said than done. Sorry I can't be a better help.
  • mmparker01
    Options
    Try this to see if it helps, I have the same problems but am learning. http://www.livestrong.com/article/248810-how-to-stop-sugar-cravings-naturally/
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    1. If you can don't have it in your home, and swear off the drive through.
    2. if you get a big craving watch cooking shows or search on line for food pics, you can look just don't touch.
    3. Remind your self it will be there when you are done with your diet.
    4. tell your self all the time that failure isn't' an option.
    5. portion out your meals in to several smaller meals with one big meal per day.
    6. when you fail don't get too emotional, it may drive you back to food, so just pick up get back on track and move on.
    7. get a hobby like puzzles and word games, video games, walking around in the shopping mall (just stay a way from the food court) :).
  • teagin2002
    Options
    Make that one big meal around the time you feel hungrier the most.
  • _tiifyjo_
    _tiifyjo_ Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    How long have you been feeling like this? I go through periods of time like this. Usually if I step on the scale it helps bring me back to reality that my eating has to stop now. If it doesn't, I would just drink 8oz of water everytime you feel hungry and before eating ANYTHING. That will help make you feel full. Often times as we become dehydrated we feel hungry before we feel thirsty.
  • j99li
    j99li Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I've been chugging water just to curb the cravings of sugar. Im trying to find a way to curb it and when I step on the scale, its quite discouraging :(
  • teagin2002
    Options
    you should try natural low glycemic sweeteners.
    I use a capella water flavor like orange mango and a few drops of stevia in sodium free seltzer water. I remember it made a big difference for me.
  • teagin2002
    Options
    I used to also rank iced green tea with the grape flavored stevia.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate to admit it, I realized this weekend if I drink a bunch of water (with or without zero calorie flavoring) I'm much less likely to binge. It does tend to make me feel full, especially if I really chug a couple of cups right away, and I'm less likely to reach for mindless snacks.

Unfortunately that realization came too late to save me from my Saturday afternoon snack binge but it did keep me in my calorie range yesterday! I really need to stock up on those Arizona green tea with ginsing and honey drink mixes...found some in the cupboard yesterday and had forgotten how good they are!

ETA - also totally agree with getting whatever it is that's tempting you out of your house! If it's for hubby or the kids, you just need to convince yourself that you CAN NOT touch it. In fact, make them call you on it if that's what keeps you in line. :) Instead, have your own lighter versions handy - yummy snack bars, fruit, nuts & seeds.
  • teagin2002
    Options
    there are many low glycemic natural sweeteners out there read about it online and taste them, I use stevia and capella flavor drops b/c they don't have any nutritional value.
    If it is just sugar that will go a way with time.

See if your body is used to having sugar, that give sugar highs, it is probably used to those sugar and energy spikes (our body wants what it is used to and familiar with). You can fool your body for the time being by taking the above mentioned sweeteners till it stops craving those sugar highs. While you are weening your self off those sugar highs (they are addictive) I would suggest reading up on glycemic index, sugar spike and sweeteners that don't cause them.

good luck friend!