Peruvian Food??

Options
i'm going out with some friends tonight, and we're going to a Peruvian place that i've never been to. i took a look at the menu and pretty much everything is fried and served with potatoes and rice. and all of the other stuff...well, i just don't know what the other stuff is. i didn't see the word "grilled" on the menu anywhere....so, i'm clueless as to what to eat tonight. and what's a yucca??

here's the menu if anybody wants to give me advice!! thanks in advance!!

http://legacy.ybsitecenter.com/images/cdr/var/ba/52440/1463858-Menu.pdf

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Yucca is like a potato, but I think it's a little sweeter. But not as sweet as sweet potato.

I used to live in Peru, and there isn't a ton that is fried, that I recall. That menu does seem heavy on the fried stuff. Ceviche is very healthy. I think though that when they write fried, they're meaning pan-fried, not deep fried, so that's healthier.

I loved anticuchos, (like kebobs). Those are pretty decent calorie-wise.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Soup and salad. Hope this helps. Some of that stuff really doesn't look appetizing. But that is just me. Have fun!
  • lunula76
    Options
    Yucca is a starchy root vegetable. I think it is high in potassium. Tastes a little like a plantain and a potato got together.
  • Isrn2
    Isrn2 Posts: 160
    Options
    Ceviche is great, and they also have a couple of other steamed fish dishes. The rotisserie chicken or some of the beef dishes should be OK as well. Peruvian food is so yummy!!
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yes, get the ceviche!
  • lb7970
    lb7970 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'd go with one of the seafood options. You could choose one of the appetizers for your meal. Mussels are very low calorie not thinking that alone would be very filling though. #29 Steamed seafood seasoned spices onions and tomatoes, might not be a bad choice. #43 Rotisserie Chicken with Rice and Salad, I'd eat the chicken and salad and a little of the rice. There was a grilled steak and rice too. I try not to eat white rice so that's why I said I'd go light on the rice. Whatever you order have fun and enjoyt the new experience.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i think the ceviche de pescado sounds good OR the sudado de mariscos

THANKS GUYS!!
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Wow! looking at the menu made me hungry. Looks like they have a nice variety of foods to choose from..... i.e., mussels, shrimp, fish, calamari, etc. And, smart of you to plan ahead too! Anyway, there's lots of seafood items available. substitute the rice for more veggies or salad. Cerviche made right is delicious. Basically, seafood with fresh veggies (tomatoes, onions, celery, bellpeppers, jalapenos, garlic) topped in lemon juice. Just make sure to ask if the seafood is fresh!!! fresh! fresh! Have fun.