A lesson on water consumption

Options
This morning I stepped on the scale and had gained 4 pounds since last week (210 on the scale) (yes, I had Mexican last night which didn't help). I drank 6 glasses of water between breakfast and lunch, stepped on the scale at lunch and I was 205. Lesson learned about how important it is to drink water to flush out the sodium.

Replies

• monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!! I also gained 4 lbs from the weekend.....guess I am gonna start flushing with water all day today!!!
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    i so need that cause i really haven't drank any water today thanks
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Water flushes fat and other toxins out of your body! Drink up!
  • sammac7
    Options
    water flushes fat??
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I'm dissapointed at the lack of any real numbers in that article. I don't doubt the article. I'm sure it helps. But to what extent is what I'm asking here.
  • BlondieZee
    Options
    Wow thank you so much for that FANTASTIC LESSON on water consumption! That site was very informative and really opened my eyes. THANK YOU! :happy:
  • KenMadere
    KenMadere Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You must have really good kidneys to eliminate about 3 1/2 quarts of water in that short time.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Water consumption is right up there with calories required per day mystery for me :(

Just today I read an article in Runners World about the "new" formula for water says .31 X Body Weight for women is required water ??!!?? That is about 46 oz for me...I aim for 64-100 oz.

Is there an overkill for water? Other than that whole dying from drinking too much part. It is calorie free and I guess as long as your electrolytes stay balanced you can have as much as you want right?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Seems like people shouldn't be so concerned with the number on the scale because of water weight. I'd be more concerned with body fat percentage. Although I do agree to drink ample amounts of water.
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I weigh first thing in the morning, preferrably after a BM. Cuz you might not think it, but Ive weighed before that and after that.... Difference of TWO POUNDS! I felt like a Biggest Loser contestant that was given a 2 lb advantage on the scale. lol. Yeah, what you put in will weigh in....

And defo drink water! Its life.... Its weightloss.... It flushes fat out... What better reason than that?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I doubt the science behind any article that ends with: "Click here to review our complete line of excellent natural health products!"

Of course adequate water consumption is necessary. But you only need enough to keep your kidneys functioning properly. Not consuming enough liquids can lessen fat loss, but that doesn not translate as consuming massive amounts of water = massive amount of fat loss. It would be nice if it were that easy.
  • Regmama
    Options
    I just used that article because it was the first one with some detail, but I"m sure there are better and more specific article regarding this topic out there.
  • Regmama
    Options
    You must have really good kidneys to eliminate about 3 1/2 quarts of water in that short time.
    I can't count how many times I've used the restroom today. But my hands are terribly chapped as a result of all the washing. And it wouldn't surprise me if my kidneys were good, despite my size every thing health wise is always great for me (cholesterol, bp, blood sugar, etc.) Doctors usually look surprised when telling me my test results because they are biased against my weight.
  • aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Of course adequate water consumption is necessary. But you only need enough to keep your kidneys functioning properly. Not consuming enough liquids can lessen fat loss, but that doesn not translate as consuming massive amounts of water = massive amount of fat loss. It would be nice if it were that easy.

I agree. I am still on the fence about this one - I know some Dr.'s say too much water just makes your kidneys work hard - may actually cause kidney problems. The '8-8 oz' rule was a general guideline on how much our bodies should have total - and most food has some water in it - some foods more than others. So... do we NEED gallons per day? I doubt it.
    Though yes, it will flush sodium - to answer the OP. :smile:
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try that tomorrow. 6 glasses of water = 5lbs off? I never usually weight at lunchtime, if I do weight at night its before I got to bed and of course I've eaten my main meal by then and not going to bathroom as frequently on low carb like once every 3 days instead of everyday. .. but if I eat carbs to help with fiber.. I put 3-4 water on instantly anyway.so can't seem to win either way!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone understands that this was not fat loss.
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    i so need that cause i really haven't drank any water today thanks

OH no girlie - you usually rock that water!!!!
  • Regmama
    Options
    I'm gonna try that tomorrow. 6 glasses of water = 5lbs off? I never usually weight at lunchtime, if I do weight at night its before I got to bed and of course I've eaten my main meal by then and not going to bathroom as frequently on low carb like once every 3 days instead of everyday. .. but if I eat carbs to help with fiber.. I put 3-4 water on instantly anyway.so can't seem to win either way!
    It wasn't fat loss, it was "bloating from sodium" loss. And I have found that for me, lunchtime is my lowest weight.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    What do you typically eat for breakfast? Because I've noticed that, on the weekends, if I get up and weigh myself at my normal time (around 7:30 am) then I show my normal day over day kind of numbers. Then, if I'm having a lazy day and crawl back into bed, then weigh myself again later, like around noon or so, I'll show a larger decrease on the scale. Even if I haven't had any water to "flush" anything out. It's just my body still burning my last meal from the night before and continuing to eliminate it. It's not really a "true" loss of fat or water bloat because as soon any food is consumed the scale will go right back up.