what should i eat to break a plateau?

Options
I have been on my weight lost journey for almost 4 months now and every week I've always lost around 1 1/2-2 lbs a week.the last 2 weeks though I struggled to lose 2 lbs. I am 219 at 5' 3" so i still have some more weight to lose. I worried that I'm about to hit a plateau. When i workout I hit the treadmill for about 70- 90 minutes and figured my body got use to it so i started zumba but nothing yet. I heard about zig zagging calories and thought about trying that, but would I eat?

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories back?
    Are you wearing an HRM to make sure you're tracking the correct calories burnt?

What is your daily calorie goal set at? What is your goal weight?

Your Diary is not open so no one will be able to comment much.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I would add weight lifting instead of changing your eating.
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I agree with the weight lifting comment. It's helping me shape up nicely. I've lost about half an inch on my thighs in like 2 weeks. (My main concern is my thighs haha) And I've started losing again, not quickly but its going in the right direction.
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    How much water do you drink every day. If you find yourself reaching that plateau time, reach for some water and drink as much as you can stand during the day. I've worked myself up to between 14-16 cups per day. Also if you plateau, you might want to switch up your work out a bit. If you're doing zumba try some other form of exercise(running or walking, bike riding, whatever). Also I don't know how many calories you take in per day but try to increase them for a day or so. Just wanted to throw those ideas out there.
  • voodoomoocow
    voodoomoocow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You can also try shocking your body by eating more calories than usual for a few days. You should also change your workout immediately as your body is probably used to whatever it is you are doing. if you were doing a lot of cardio, switch to weights. if you were doing running, switch to yoga or pilates. anything to keep your body guessing
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    This could be as simple as the weather change. Your body knows that winter is coming and will try harder to conserve its fat stores. There are LOTS of variables that could have affected it. Did you get less sleep in the past few weeks? Have you been under more stress, maybe from the upcoming holidays? Have a harder than usual TOM? All of those things can release hormones that inhibit weight loss. Just keep on doing what has worked for you in the past, and have faith! It should continue working even if it slows down a bit due to those other factors. Personally, any week that I lose *anything,* I count that as a win! It's better than the alternative! :smile:

If you really do hit a plateau (which I define as "not losing anything for 3 or more weeks straight") you could try lowering your overall calories, adjusting your carb/fat/protein ratios, or as you said, varying your workout. People have had success with all of those strategies.

Good luck!
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I usually go vegetarian for a couple days, or until I break the plateau. I don't know why it works, but it does for me.
  • chanson104
    Options
    I read an article about counting calories on a weekly basis rather than daily. Example: If your alloted calories are 1500 you might eat 1800 one day, 1300 the next, 1500 the next . . . It suppose to keep your body guessing like changing your work out it does. I haven't tried it, but I thought it made sense, and I'm thinking about giving it a try.
  • ariney1
    Options
    Definitely add weight training as muslce burns fat. also look at the quality of your food! Protein/Carb/Fat - improve the quality of your macronutrients!!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have been on my weight lost journey for almost 4 months now and every week I've always lost around 1 1/2-2 lbs a week.the last 2 weeks though I struggled to lose 2 lbs. I am 219 at 5' 3" so i still have some more weight to lose. I worried that I'm about to hit a plateau. When i workout I hit the treadmill for about 70- 90 minutes and figured my body got use to it so i started zumba but nothing yet. I heard about zig zagging calories and thought about trying that, but would I eat?

It's difficult to fully analyze your situation, because you might not be having a problem. Make sure you're eating an adequate amount of protein, carbohydrates, and fats. You'll want to make sure you're getting an adequate amount of fiber in your diet too. How often are you sneaking food without logging it? Are you drinking alcoholic beverages? Some people suggested that you lift weights, which is a good idea. When you're first starting the weight-loss process, it happens pretty fast. As time goes by, it becomes harder to lose weight.
  • shunta864
    Options
    For the most part I do log what I eat but the last few days cus I've been busy getting ready for the holiday. Saturday my boyfriend took me out to eat and I ordered a steak with steamed veggies and mashed potatoes but it took me 2 days to eat it all. I do have a problem with eating back my calories after a workout. Go figure, I'm overweight from eating but when i need to eat more to lose weight its seems like I can't. Lol
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    make sure you are eating enough. I added more fat to my diet because I was under every day on my fat intake. I was going into starvation mode. As soon as I got my fat intake where it was suppose to be the weight came off again.
  • heatherldietrich
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you really don't eat enough. I went back a couple weeks and on the days when you are logging (assuming you're logging everything on those days) you're sometimes only eating half of your recommended daily intake and pretty much never meeting it. You're putting your body into starvation mode, and if you're exercising on top of this extreme calorie deficit, you're making it even worse. MFP has already reduced your calories - you should be eating at least what is recommended.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You eat a lot of garbage and processed food --- I bet if you turn on your sodium you will be shocked.
    My guess is you're retaining a ton of water. You don't get enough protein either.
    1200 is probably far too low but I mentioned that earlier.
  • fatty2fit88
    fatty2fit88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Clean your diet (less processed foods)
    Up your work out
    EAT your calories (do not under eat!)

:)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    There's no possible way to accurately count calories consuming processed foods....too many variables built in, and personally, still losing 2 lbs in 2 weeks is nothing to complain about imo.
  • shunta864
    Options
    Thank for the info. I never really looked back at my log to really see what I was eating. I do eat alot of lean cuisine and subway and figured that was a healthier choice but I see I need to make a better selection.