Eating well and exercising in College

Options
Hello!

Anyone in college or recently out who has had successes or struggles? Please share, college student looking for inspiration and motivation!

Thanks

Replies

• deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am thankfully our gym is free so I do that on breaks. Most helpful I've found is you MUST pack all meals ahead of time and even bring a couple snacks. That eliminates going out to eat and snacking from vending machines. Take the long way place. Also do ALL homework for the week on the weekend so down time is spent studying and exercising. I also like to walk or run on the treadmill while I study.

It's a ton more effort but definitely worth it. Feel free to add me =]
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hi! Well not me exactly but I have a daughter who is a college freshman and she is having great luck going to her University's own campus fitness center. She's just working to keep the freshman 10 from happening to her. She has slowly built up to being able to run on the treadmill for 30 minutes (she started with walking in Sept.), she added the rowing machine for arms, then there is something that she hangs from and lift up her legs for her abs. Then works a bit more on the elliptical to "cool down" she says.

My daughter was never an "excersiser" before college and was a typical high school eating tons of junk foods :hot cheetos was her mainstay - LOL! :sad:

So she started small and just kept at it. Yesterday she told me she laughs at her friends who think the machines are giving them an accurate calorie count! she says she know the truth because of all of my "fitnessy" stuff. I'm proud.

If she can do it anyone can! Best of Luck in fitness and in your college studies!!:smile:
  • ksheppard0509
    Options
    Definitely make time to workout! Schools hard but I always write my workout in my planner so that I have to go do it. Our rec center is free as well and that is a definite help. Also, aerobic classes are great to go to. Night time around here is the worse time to go because everyone is there. Like Star said also, take your lunches and snacks because the vending machines can be hard to resist. Feel free to add me as well!
  • SoapyPonyLevine
    SoapyPonyLevine Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I am in my second year now but ever since I've started I find it really hard to prioritise working out. I also find it hard making time for cooking healthy meals and I'm awful with snacking. I'll add you for support, good luck!
  • Kphenderson
    Kphenderson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I know all about it! Freshmen year I gained the freshmen 15 the first semester. That next semester I was determined to lose weight and get fit. I went from 190 to 155! It was worth it. I just planned to workout, had a workout partner that held me accountable, made better food choices, and stayed determined. I will say, I didn't eat perfect and some dining hall meals I did give in to, I just didn't let it keep me down. I'm now in my senior year and find that it's much harder to exercise, work full time and have full time classes. I had gained 10 lbs just over a few months in the start of this semester. I'm now back on it though and determined to do this. You can do it!

Feel free to add me anyone, college is hard but we can do this and work even harder!
  • rebeccapri
    rebeccapri Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree! I pack my meals and snacks and head to the library (yeah you're not SUPPOSED to eat in the lib but I do anyways and so does everyone else). Make it healthy meals too. Carrot sticks and fruits are great to pack and eat on the go. Then I stay there for a looong time and get lots of work done without any temptation to eat. If I'm at my apartment there is so much food for me to graze on. So my recommendation, go somewhere away from food/temptation. Keep yourself busy too so you don't have time for mindless eating. Also, make it a habit to workout on a regular basis. I do something every day and it's just a part of my daily life and schedule. Hope this helps :)