any good cookout side dishes?

Options
abbylove08
abbylove08 Posts: 215
i'm going to a pool party and want to bring something that i can feel not-so-bad about munching on? it's a cookout, so we're all bringing stuff to share.
i'm bringing some stuff to throw in my pool bag for me in case all of the other options are things i don't want to have (cake, cookies, etc...).

so basically i'm wanting to bring something yummy to share but that i can feel good about (besides the obvious fruit and veggies). i don't have much time to COOK anything, just going to the store to pick something up because i wont have time after work to make anything...

any suggestions would be fabulous! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• abbylove08
    abbylove08 Posts: 215
    Options
    i'm going to a pool party and want to bring something that i can feel not-so-bad about munching on? it's a cookout, so we're all bringing stuff to share.
    i'm bringing some stuff to throw in my pool bag for me in case all of the other options are things i don't want to have (cake, cookies, etc...).

so basically i'm wanting to bring something yummy to share but that i can feel good about (besides the obvious fruit and veggies). i don't have much time to COOK anything, just going to the store to pick something up because i wont have time after work to make anything...

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    why not the veggies? Take some dip along too for the not so healthy eaters and that is a great side dish
  • NurseMisty
    NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm new, so I don't know if I get hollared at for this....but I love Quaker Quakes Mini rice cakes in Carmel corn or Apple Cinnamon. Both of them are fat free and I think 90 calories per serving.
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Nobody would yell at you for what you eat, you are the one that has to worry about it, We are all here for support and encouragement.
  • Amber42803
    Amber42803 Posts: 143
    Options
    OKAY, this MAY sound gross, but it's actually very yummy. First time I saw it, I thought, "OH GROSS! What is this woman trying to do, make me puke?!"

My stepmom used to make this fabulous dinner for us in the summer time. She was very big on eating colder food in the summer and hotter food in the winter, so she toyed around with things.

It's Cantelope with a Tuna Salady taste.

You take one whole cantelope, slice it in half, take out the seeds.

Then you take some Tuna, add a little fat free mayo, or Miracle Whip if you prefer it... mix it with lettuce, I prefer Iceberg because it gives a water taste (I like the watery taste). Then you take the Tuna mix, and put it in the center of the Cantelope, and Eat.

You could also buy the presliced Cantelope, and make the tuna as a side to dip it in. The juices just flow...it's sooo good. Seriously...I think I'll make some...mmmm

My hubby who doesn't like Cantelope or Tuna even likes it!!!

My KIDS even like it. It's good, and it's sweet. Have one for dinner or as a snack!

Try it out. You MAY just like it!

ALC

178464.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • tomyhealth
    tomyhealth Posts: 181
    Options
    I'm new, so I don't know if I get hollared at for this....but I love Quaker Quakes Mini rice cakes in Carmel corn or Apple Cinnamon. Both of them are fat free and I think 90 calories per serving.

No one will yell at you. I eat those all the time and I also gave my workout buddy a box of them to say thanks for keeping me going. My daughter has them with a apple or banana for breakfast when she is at school.

Good Luck and Welcome to MFP.
  • tomyhealth
    tomyhealth Posts: 181
    Options

Salsa and healthy chips.:flowerforyou:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Does your grocery store have a deli section? Many times they can give you the nutritional breakdowns for their salads. Maybe broccoli salad or coleslaw...
    otherwise, I'd take some cheeses & low fat crackers or a veggie tray.
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    String cheese, laughing cow cheese, whole wheat crackers, fiber one bars , whole wheat pretzels, little single serve bags of baked chips, fruit roll ups. I hope you have fun! Cindy :heart:
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    I love these things! Thanks, I completely forgot about them.:flowerforyou:
  • DaniNei
    DaniNei Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I really like crackers and hummus. I buy the special K crackers and Athenos roasted red pepper hummus. You can eat 17 crackers for 90 calories and the hummus is 50 calories for 2 tbls.

This is my go to snack when I am craving something crunchy.
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I really like crackers and hummus. I buy the special K crackers and Athenos roasted red pepper hummus. You can eat 17 crackers for 90 calories and the hummus is 50 calories for 2 tbls.

This is my go to snack when I am craving something crunchy.

Love this choice. Also, if you are looking for side dishes, rather than snack items, roasted veggies!