Lost 28 lbs..now I need help

mckenna121779
mckenna121779 Posts: 3
edited October 5 in Introduce Yourself
I started using MFP in February (only on my phone so I didn't really know there were all the boards). I fall on and off of using it (I get to the point where I become routine and just KNOW how many calories things are and get lazy in using it). Anyway I was at 169.9 when I started. Walking on the treadmill is about the only exercise Ive done, and cutting calories tremendously, I made it down to 135 and prettymuch plateaued. I decided to join the gym a few weeks ago and here's where my problems come in and I get confused. I have gone back up to 141...I did not add any calories. I eat between 1200-1400 per day.

My general routine is to go in and do the vibrartion machine for 10 minutes. Circuit training weights for about a half of an hour. Arch trainer (about the same calories burned as eliptical) for 15 minutes. bike for 15 minutes. arch trainer again for 10 minutes. This is waaaaaay more exercise than I normally do, even thought it might not be much to a lot of people.

I am extremely confused as to the weight gain. How do I determine if its extra water weight? Is my body in starvation mode? Is it from muscle gain? Do I need to eat more now that Im exercising more (MFP says I need 1450 to maintain weight and 1200 to lose it)...

It's very discouraging, not so much the gaining the weight, as my concern for doing things the wrong way. Can anyone help?

Replies

• MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Might be muscle. But you need to change up your routine! Short bursts of cardio to get your heart rate up to 85% or higher. Do this over 30 minutes. Then strength training mixed in with some more cardio for the next 30 minutes. I go to a place called Orange Theory Fitness, they have several gyms around the country, but are not nation wide. Find a specialty gym which focuses on confusion training and endurance! Try a 6 week boot camp class or something like that!

I had plateaued and after 6 weeks at Orange Theory I lost 10 more lbs and have continued to lose weight.

Just don't keep doing the same thing over and over at the gym. You need to always push yourself to do more and different exercises! If you don't, after about 6 weeks you will plateau and won't continue losing.

Why you gained weight.. maybe water, maybe muscle. Could have been too much Halloween candy?? 6lbs isn't that much, but it 's nothing to ignore!
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Are you eating back most of your workout calories? You may need to eat more...I know it seems counter-intuitive. When I hit my first plateau I had to ADD about 1/2 to all of my exercise calories back for about 3 weeks,.
  • no I was at 1200-1400 calories for a very long time...and now going to the gym, ive been eating the same.
This discussion has been closed.