Calorie Counters

Options
I was wondering how accurate the calorie counters on gym equipment is? I have seen a discrepency between this site and what is on the display when i finish working out. But, then again....when I work out my excersize is a bit different than from what I have to choose from on this site. For example...I walk 30 mins at a 5-7% grade going 3.0 mph. On MFP I had only found a listing for "walking 3.0 mph" so I was using that. Or when I go on an eliptical it depends on your strides per min where as the listing on MFP doesn't offer that.

So, I guess my question is should I use what MFP says or what the display on the gym equipment says to log my excersize? Obviously I want to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks in advance. Hope I was clear enough :)

Replies

• kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    What about getting a heart rate monitor? That way you'll be able to know exactly how much you're burning.
  • sara709
    sara709 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Your weight needs to be taken into consideration. MFP does that for you - gym equipment does not. That being said, MFP won't really help if it's not the right exercise.. I say get a hrm. Solved all my calorie counting problems :happy:
  • tlilly80
    Options
    That would be ideal but unfortunately I'm a fulltime student and mother of three so splurging on myself isn't much of an option. Im lucky enough atm to afford the gym membership ;)
  • tlilly80
    Options
    The gym equipment does ask you to enter your weight. So does that make it a bit more accurate? It also has a HRM on it. I guess I am wondering if anyone has a HRM and has tested it against gym equipment that sounds like what I am using.

Thanks.
  • jessashcher
    Options
    I go by what mfp says because it does take your weight into consideration.
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Amazon has a HRM for $40. Timex, I don't remember the model number. It's the one I use and it's been pretty good. My elliptical which doesn't take anything into account would say I burned 300 calories during a normal workout. MFP showed 500 a workout. My HRM shows I'm actually burning 900 a workout.

Scott
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I paid $19.99 for mine at Marshalls
  • create your own exercise on this site, put in your weight and how long you've exercised for and how many calories(if the equipment has that function) then enter, and you create your own exercise list personal to you!
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I log what the exercise machine says as I think that MFP can over-estimate the cals.

Plus the exercise machine has a HRM.

Hope this helps :)