cookout side dish ideas?

Options
i'm going to a pool party and want to bring something that i can feel not-so-bad about munching on? it's a cookout, so we're all bringing stuff to share.
i'm bringing some stuff to throw in my pool bag for me in case all of the other options are things i don't want to have (cake, cookies, etc...).

so basically i'm wanting to bring something yummy to share but that i can feel good about (besides the obvious fruit and veggies). i don't have much time to COOK anything, just going to the store to pick something up because i wont have time after work to make anything...

any suggestions would be fabulous! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• abbylove08
    abbylove08 Posts: 215
    Options
    i'm going to a pool party and want to bring something that i can feel not-so-bad about munching on? it's a cookout, so we're all bringing stuff to share.
    i'm bringing some stuff to throw in my pool bag for me in case all of the other options are things i don't want to have (cake, cookies, etc...).

so basically i'm wanting to bring something yummy to share but that i can feel good about (besides the obvious fruit and veggies). i don't have much time to COOK anything, just going to the store to pick something up because i wont have time after work to make anything...

any suggestions would be fabulous! :flowerforyou:
  • katrana
    katrana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    this is a really easy dish, just buy lots of things and mix them together for an incredible bean salsa that you can have with some low calorie chips or even just on it's own. It is really filling too, I have also used it as a filling for burritos.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spicy-Bean-Salsa/Detail.aspx

Spicy Bean Salsa:
    NGREDIENTS

* 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas
    * 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    * 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
    * 1/2 cup chopped onion
    * 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    * 1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapeno peppers
    * 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
    * 1 cup Italian-style salad dressing
    * 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

DIRECTIONS

1. In a medium bowl, combine black-eyed peas, black beans, corn, onion, green bell pepper, jalapeno peppers and tomatoes. Season with Italian-style salad dressing and garlic salt; mix well. Cover, and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.

Nutritional Information
    Servings Per Recipe: 12
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 155

* Total Fat: 6.4g
    * Cholesterol: 0mg
    * Sodium: 949mg
    * Total Carbs: 20.4g
    * Dietary Fiber: 4.4g
    * Protein: 5g

EDIT: this is the calories for the original recipe, I know you can use low-cal italian dressing to reduce calories even more.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    if u wanna go to the store and grab something do something like hummus and toboulegh(chickpea spead and parsley/bulgar salad consectutaviely to people who have never had them). with whole wheat pita. they are a GEAT alternative to chips and dip
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    Fruit salad!

My 4 year old son loves to make this. :) Get yourself some either canned fruit cocktail or frozen fruit (depending on how much time you have for the fruit to thaw). If you get canned, you can get the no sugar added kind, or the kind that uses splenda!

Then use Lite Cool Whip to mix in with it. LOW calories and oh-so-yummy!!

Drain the fruit cocktail juice out.
    Thaw the Cool Whip Light.
    Mix 1-2 cans of drained cocktail with Cool whip lite and enjoy! (Don't heat the cool whip and don't thaw it on the counter--it needs to thaw for a few hours in the fridge or it will get watery.)
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I was thinking fruit salad too!

Or a veggie tray... you can bring two kinds of dip, one "healthy" one and another for people who want the regular kind.
  • Rachael
    Rachael Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bumping this. I have a really good pasta/veggie salad that I will send your way shortly. I'll send you the original recipe and I'll give you the mods I make so it's a bit more waistline-friendly.

Sounds like it's going to be a fun party :smile:
  • Rachael
    Rachael Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I was thinking fruit salad too!

Or a veggie tray... you can bring two kinds of dip, one "healthy" one and another for people who want the regular kind.

If you decide on a fruit tray, you can make a really yummy, fun dip that all my friends/family seem to love - although you might have to resist it! Just take a brick of cream cheese, soften and mix with a jar of marshmallow creme. I guess you could use fat-free cc...