Sugar?

Options
Does anyone else have problems with eating more sugar than what MFP says is normal as their guide? it seems like I have one greek yogurt and then if I have an apple later in the day it is over the amount of sugar for the day. Not to mention all the little stuff like the sugar in tomatoes and whatnot.

So is this fine to use as a guide for the amount of sugar? And does anyone know the specific science for why sugar is bad for you, and does natural sugar count?

Replies

• SmugCanucksGal
    SmugCanucksGal Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I dont count healthy sugars on the scale that MPF "suggests"
    Healthy sugars = Fruits and Veggies
  • evastar
    evastar Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I notice that about fruit, too. Yesterday I was well below my sugar intake, but then when I had an apple, and later a banana, I was waay over limit.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I don't pay attention to sugar at all. Just a carbohydrate to me
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    No matter what I eat I go like 50-80 over on my sugar.
    I don't listen to MFP with that anymore
  • KathleenVEC
    Options
    Hi there!

Sugar in any form is sugar because sugar turns to fat in your body regardless if it comes from a natural source or from carbs such as past or bread. It also plays with your blood sugar. Here is a website that can explain it way better than I can. www.mercola.com Just sign up - it's free and then type in sugar in the search area. There's lots to read about it!

Enjoy and good luck with being a healthier you!

Kathy
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I posted the same question recently. Since I don't use sugar or add sugar, I know it's added sugar that I can do nothing about. Plus I eat a lot of fruit. I quit tracking sugar. If we can eat totally organic, we could possibly stay within the guidelines. But it's hard to be totally organic all the time. Plus, when you factor in fruits, you've had it.
  • bustout321
    Options
    There is no definitive answer to the question, but 40 grams is the recommended amount for non-diabetic people
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Stop buying the yogurt that has more sugar than protein ----
    Start reading labels....

Don't worry about natural sugars from fruits/dairy unless you're buying canned fruit in sugary syrup.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, It seems to me that many fruits have been bread by farmers to be sweeter and juicer than they were originally. I tend to only eat pitted fruits and berries on occasion because of this.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Sugar in any form is sugar because sugar turns to fat in your body regardless if it comes from a natural source or from carbs such as past or bread. It also plays with your blood sugar. Here is a website that can explain it way better than I can. www.mercola.com Just sign up - it's free and then type in sugar in the search area. There's lots to read about it!

Enjoy and good luck with being a healthier you!

Kathy
    That website must be wrong because I lost 50 lbs while eating sugar and my blood sugar levels decreased as well. :devil:
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    That website must be wrong because I lost 50 lbs while eating sugar and my blood sugar levels decreased as well. :devil:

In some people, extra carbs may not make you fat, but they still change the form of LDL to be more susceptible to oxidation which in turn makes you more at risk for heart disease.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I pay no attention to natural sugars had two banana's today so I'm over..
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I never even look at my sugar. Just my cals/carbs/protein, exercise 6 days a week, and I've never been fitter or healthier.

I did a report on my weekly sugar though, out of curiosity, and i was pretty much double every day. Oh well. :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options

In some people, extra carbs may not make you fat, but they still change the form of LDL to be more susceptible to oxidation which in turn makes you more at risk for heart disease.
    Drinking too much water can have serious health consequences. Saturated fat increases cholesterol. And carb consumption doesn't make you fat, just thought I'd throw that in their as well.