Chinese Food

Options
Does anybody have some suggestions for healthier chinese food? I just cannot stand to think about cooking tonight. I normally get szechuan chicken since it's not fried and it comes with plenty of vegetables. But I'd welcome some new ideas.

Replies

• seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options
    I love mongolian beef (or chicken). Not sure how healthy it is but at least it isn't fried.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com :D if we go out, i like veggie lettuce wraps or steamed veggies...but sometimes i give in for steamed rice with hunan chicken
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I love mu shu pork, it comes with tons of veggies!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    the bad thing about Chinese is all the sodium...Not sure any healthy alternatives other than brown rice instead of white.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not fried, you have quite a bit of choices. Steamed dumplings for example. Personally I like Beef chow fun, but I ask that they don't use too much oil in the sauteing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PennyS44
    PennyS44 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You could have the beef and broccoli with vegetables. The steamed rice is about half the calories of the fried rice.
  • sweets2001
    Options
    Steamed chicken and veggies
    Shrimp with broccoli
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    I usually go with Beef and Broccoli or Chicken and pea pods. I always tell them no oil (or very little). Otherwise, you can just ask them what they have that's steamed and doesn't have too much sauce.
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I LOVE chinese food! I stay away from anything that is fried and sauces. Normally I would have rice, mixed vegetables, kung pao shrimp or chicken.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i think its called buddah's delight? the mixed veggies, otherwise i would jus tmake it at home if you can, i'm actually planning on doing an orange "chickeN" but with fried tofu and egg whites instead, steamed dumplings if they have it, brown rice instead of white if thats an option, beef and broccoli...uhhmmm....i really cant think of much. they stir fry most things, so, i'm not sure. i will usually get vegetable chow mein and take not eat the fried noodles and just eat it with rice
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Chicken chop suey is great! Pepper steak is awesome! Egg drop soup......yummo! Damn now I'm hungry :laugh:
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I don't do Chinese unless I'm making it myself, that way I know exactly what's in it, or it's my cheat day. But the restaurant that I normally go to has a section on the menu for healthier options, so you may want to see if that is available.
  • cupboard_stalker
    cupboard_stalker Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I try to go for half portions by sharing, then it doesn't matter what you go for, cause it's half the calories....the trouble is getting someone to also reduce their portion by splitting, but they can always order extra
  • tristanathan
    Options
    There's an awesome Chinese restaurant in Fort Worth that allows you to order sauces on the side and to get the dishes steamed instead of fried. I think if they can do it, so can other restaurants. (If you're in the Fort Worth area, check out Pappa Chang's Asia Bistro).
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I usually get mu shu vegetables and a CUP, not a bowl, of egg drop soup. I would see if the restaurant you're going to has a website with the nutritional info (PF Chang's does). Then you'd know for sure what was in the food you're ordering, and how much on your plate is actually one serving. I'm a party pooper, I know. :smile: Stay away from the brown sauce!
  • Kerseygeek
    Options
    I order beef and broccoli with steamed rice and I try most times to save some for a small lunch. Eating about 1cup of rice with 1 cup of beef and broccoli isn't too bad. I have 2 chinese places I go and one of them has a thinner sauce which helps too.
  • maryh1986
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone!