Gym Motivation

Options
What motivates you to go to the gym? I struggle to get motivated to go sometimes!

Replies

• LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, I go walk around an outdoor road/trail, but being as I go on my lunch it keeps me going. Too, the other admin goes to the gym daily to train with a body builder & all of the agents know that I go out to the trail. Them asking me if I walked/ran today or if it's nice or bad weather keeps me going.
  • kymmixxx
    kymmixxx Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i think until you really enjoy it that its hard to get motivated. During the dark days i had just one rule, No negotiations. If i had planned to go i went, once or twice i negotiated with myself, things like if i dont go today ill stay longer tomorrow...never happened. hopefully eventually youll love it enough to have the opposite problem :)
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It is not a "helpful" answer. It is not optional I gotta go.

When I have a really hard time i do elimination challenges on MFP, then if I don't go I am letting the team down in addition to myself
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Right now my motivation comes from the weather. I mean I know once the snow starts falling I will NOT go to the gym so I am trying to get in as many workouts as possible! I also do not negotiate with myself because I never follow through with the "deals" I make with myself :smile:

Just set small goals and then when you accomplish them, make the goals a little bigger. Go to the gym for 20 minutes. Just get your behind there and give it your all for 20 minutes. Then you can raise the time until you feel you are satisfied with your workout routine. Pretty soon it will be a habit :wink:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    results
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My trainer saying I haven't seen you lately.. where have you been?

That always helps keep me motivated.

Plus the size 4 jeans I just bought.. I want to rock those jeans and not have them just sit around.
  • Saksgirl1
    Options
    CHOCOLATE! On days that I REALLY don't want to go, I get dressed and head to the gas station to get a huge water and a York Peppermint Patty! (It's only 140 cals!) I eat it, feel super guilty and end up burning at least 3 times that amount!

Weird... yes! But it works for me!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Double Post :)
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    results

Second this . . . no pain no gain. :noway:
  • cclaborn22
    Options
    What motivates you to go to the gym? I struggle to get motivated to go sometimes!

Have you ever regretted a workout once you've done it? I try to remember that, and that exercising makes you feel amazing after you're finished.

I also set small goals for myself. For example, I am going to do my second figure competition in May next year. But that is a ways out, so until then I will train for a separate competition that is in January--on the 14th to be exact. These small goals sneak into my head when I need the motivation the most. When that event comes I want to make sure I've put all the effort I can into bringing my best. :smile:
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I sign up for classes. I'm not a good self motivator, I'll end up working out only 20 minutes instead of 30, etc. So I take classes, you can't walk out early (or, I guess you can but you know everyone's watching). Works for me!
  • oklamb73
    Options
    Lunchtime workouts. It's not so daunting and you get it in before you lose energy for the day. I alternate days between classes and running and then on wednesday nights I have a personal training session, so I do a double workout that day by going for a run at lunch. I also get a buddy to meet me at a trail or get to know someone new at the gym so that I feel like somone might realize if I don't go, that definitely holds me accountable.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I keep a picture out of me at my heaviest. It makes me sad that I let myself go and then I get off my A** and go. I also do a lot of stuff outdoors i.e. biking/running when I can. I'll be hitting the gym daily pretty soon as the weather is turning super cold here in Illinois!