Needing all the help I can get with losing this weight...

Options
Getting frustrated, and discouraged. Been with MFP for 30 days now, and been at this extreme diet and exercise now for 90 days, and I still have not lost a pound. NOT EVEN 1!!!! I have over 50 to lose before March, and it's not looking good. I'm already starting to look at pushing wedding back to 2013. Any ideas for me? Today I start the soup diet. If anything, it's going to put my body in to starvation mode for awhile. But hopefully soon, I'll start to lose something! Anyone have any tips or information for me? Help with what to do with losing weight? And information on starvation mode? I need all the help I can get.

Replies

• simplingrillin
    Options
    why not try to eat the calorie intake that you should and workout normally instead of going into starvation mode which doesn't even sound like fun?
  • rachel4
    rachel4 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Most of us know diets like that, don’t work… you need to eat right, healthy.
    An easy way would be looking at friends food diaries so you can get ideas.
    LOADS OF WATER! :drinker:
    Friend me! We will get you through this.
    You just have to NOT go into starvation mode.
    All that will do is slow your metabolism and then you really won’t lose weigh :(
    STAY STRONG! We are ALL here to support you!!!
  • erika010
    erika010 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're aware, but you won't lose weight if your body is in starvation mode. You need AT LEAST 1200 calories a day to stay fully functioning. Extreme diets are not good for you! I know you want to look good for your wedding (I've been there!) but the BEST thing you can do is load up on green, leafy veggies and cut carbs. Eat mostly spinach, broccoli, lettuce, tomatoes, asparagus, kale, bok choy, cucumber, celery. Have 4 oz. of lean protein a day. NO soda (includes diet), or coffee. ONLY WATER. Stay away from anything but nonfat dairy, and only have 1-2 servings of that a day.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    why not try to eat the calorie intake that you should and workout normally instead of going into starvation mode which doesn't even sound like fun?

^^agree. going on extreme diets simply effs up your metabolism anyway...so while you should lose weight while on the fad diet, you'll likely gain it back when you stop.

also, I looked at your food journal. maybe you don't like breakfast, but its not logged all of the time. anyway, I understand the calories in/calories out thing and that works for people...but for others, it really does matter what you eat (it matters for me). soooooo.....I would try to change up what you're eating from processed foods to natural foods.
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hello! First off, you should think of this more as a healthy lifestyle journey instead of a "diet". That word right there can set you up for failure. I don't know if you log your caloric intake, it does work. It lets you be accountable of what you eat and where you need to improve. Going into starvation mode isn't a good thing. When you get in that mode, your body is going to hang on to everything you eat and you won't lose the pounds. Sure temporarily you will lose the weight but you will gain it right back and more when you start back eating normally.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert but I have heard that putting yourself into starvation mode doesn't help you keep weight off. When your body is severely deprived it holds onto what it has instead of shedding it. I would say if you have been eating healthy and exercising and haven't lost anything in over 90 days it's time to get some lab tests done from your doctor. Maybe you have some thyroid issues acting up or numerous other things that are an easy fix.
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Sometimes its not about extreme dieting and exercise. Try switching up your routine or raising your calories or both! Its all about trial and error. You need to find out what works for your body. If youre burning crazy amounts of calories right now in a day, try only burning 100-200 in a day. Try it for at least 1-2 weeks to see you see any change on the scale. Best of luck!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    If you do things the right way...and follow the plan, it WILL work. Are you drinking lots of water, watching/tracking sodium intake? Try mixing up your workout so you're doing some different stuff if you've been staying with a repetitive routine.

If you're trying to take short cuts to lose faster, you'll just mess your system up more and make it that much harder. I know it sounds counter-productive to eat more in order to lose, but if you're burning a ton of calories and working out a lot, its what you need to at least TRY before you rule it out and continue to skip meals!

Good luck to you!
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Eat and exercise. That is it. No fad diets needed.
  • simone_84
    simone_84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and it looks like the days you exercise you don't eat back those calories and on days you don't exercise as much you're skipping meals. Skipping meals can slow down the metabolism so even maybe try something small, even if its just some fruit or a slice of toast and juice. There are also days that you aren't even taking in 1000 calories for the day. That is WAY to few and is probably sending your body into starvation mode. When that happens your body holds on to as much as it possibly can and you stop losing weight. I suggest that you make sure, at the very least you are taking in between 1200-1300 calories a day. If that doesn't help you might try increasing it by another 100 calories or so a day which helps me when my weight loss tapers off.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what are you drinking?

You don't have any water marked off, but you don't have any other drinks listed either. Part of the reason I'm asking is because a lot of the things I'm seeing on your diary are pretty high sodium, and I know from experience that I don't lose if I'm not getting enough water, especially if I eat high sodium (which is a constant and ongoing battle).
    If you're drinking something besides water, is it possible that the calories are sneaking in there? One coffeeshop latte a day could easily put you above the number for weight loss.

That's just what stood out to me. I hope you find the answer :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking lots of water? Guzzle Guzzle Chug Chug
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    I looked at your diary. Suggestion: add some fruit and vegetables, add a sodium column to your diary and drink water. Forget extreme diets, just eat healthy. You can do this!! Also, don't forget to take your measurements if you are exercising. Good luck...
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't restrict your calories too much. Also don't do any "fad" diets.
  • mbarnesm001
    Options
    In all honesty I have never heard of someone dieting and exercising for so long and not being able to lose any weight. So my first suggestion would be to go to the doctor and see if there is anything preventing you from being able to lose that weight. Secondly, be sure that your are keeping yourself healthy and hydrated! Now, on to starvation mode. I have read article confirming it and rebuking it and all of them state that it is not healthy for you. It is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low caloric intake levels. During short periods of caloric abstinence, the human body will burn primarily free fatty acids from body fat stores. After prolonged periods of starvation the body has depleted its body fat and begins to burn lean tissue and muscle as a fuel source.Now, that first part might sound nice but the minute you step outside your diet or decide that after the wedding you do not want to have such a strict diet anymore you will gain it all back plus! This is because your body wants to store back up it's nutrient supply just in case there is another 'starvation' again. So, I really urge you to stay away from anything like that. Now, I do not know if this helps any and lord knows I am not a doctor but I really think that sticking to the path your on would be your best option. Just keep on working hard and you will get results!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I went through your diary a bit - I don't see any fresh fruits or veggies, just a ton of processed foods. You need to eat more whole fresh foods. Chicken, Fish, fruits, vegetables, yogurt, 2% cottage cheese, oatmeal ect. Stay away from Denny's and processed foods! Log everything and I mean everything that you eat down to the last tic tac. Are you logging your portions right?
  • pddcoo
    Options
    50 is a lot to lose in 5 months. Losing a pound means eating 3500 calories less than you burn. Losing 50 pounds in 5 months would mean eating 175,000 fewer calories than you burn over that period, which is about 1166 fewer calories per day. That's a huge change, even for folks who eat a lot. It requires discipline few of us have. Worse, even if successful, the chance of a rebound is great especially after that first taste of fried chick. I'm talking from 60 years' experience.

Lots of great advice in these posts. If you're serious, follow the ones that work for you (especially drinking water) and:
    No alcohol, No fast food (and avoid eating out), get rid of anything in your kitchen that's a temptation. Record everything you eat, even that teeny pinch, or single cashew. Set a reasonable daily calorie goal, and rely more on exercise. Take a day off per week (don't get crazy, just reasonable). Weigh in weekly, not everyday. Remember that exercise doesn't burn many calories over your normal activity unless you sustain an elevated heart rate.

If you build muscle though exercise, don't fret. Muscle does not weigh significantly more than fat unless you're Hercules, but it DOES trim down the body even at the same weight. If you can afford it, a good personal trainer and a meal plan can get you going.
  • MomOfECS
    Options
    If you are on any medications, check the side effects.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ok, one of the issues is pre packaged food (tons of sodium). I eat 2800 calories and many days you are getting a lot more sodium that I am. Next, we really need to determine if 1200 calories is even right for you. Please do me a favor and go under tools and calculate your BMR and post the results. Also, what do you do for exercise? Once we get this information we can truely evaluate where you are, where you should be and how to approach it.